Main Menu

DvD Demo

Started by CraveNoir, 17 September, 2003, 07:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraveNoir

Demo.
Want!

Am I going to have to buy PCZone tomorrow to get the demo? When will GAME have the demo for download? Where else will have the demo online, and when?

I suggest adding another category to posts in time for the game. So along with 'Suggestions, Off_topic, etc' we'd have 'DvD Game'... or something.

bloodclaw_97

Check the game site. They'll put the demo up on the same day as the game goes on sale.
What a gyp. The idea of the demo is usually to let people try out the game before it ships.

Oddboy

According to the review in the weekly prog - there?s a Walter the Wobot level...
Better set your phaser to stun.

Oddboy

...surely I just imagined that?
Better set your phaser to stun.

Mr C

Aparrently the Walter level sees you being attacked by a large quantity of small serving robots with a speech impediment.
Horde of Walters: "Oh Judge Dwedd, we love you!"
A slightly bewildered Dredd:"Drok this!"
BOOM!!!
Great stuff, looking forward to it when it finally gets here.

judge dreddd

they have obviously put a lot of thought into the game GOOD

CraveNoir

New screenshots and a short gameplay movie have been released.

Link: http://www.3dgamers.com/games/dreddvsdeath/#filelist" target="_blank">3DGamers

Leigh S

PC Zone is out today, including demo (one campaign and two arcade levels)... wont be able to check it out til much later though - The game gets a 78%, despite this being the unbugged version (IIRC?) - Seems to lose points for shortness, ropy AI (still), "console-ishness", but gains them for relentless action, faithfulness to Dredd universe and extensive multiplayer options.

Still, we can all go out and find out for ourselves now!

Post your reviews here! (and beware incursions - Good luck, I'll see you all in the aftermath!)

Pyroxian

Yeah, I've just had a quick play - was quite fun - having people surrender to you is nice. Got killed by the SJS though 'cos the lure of killing innocent cits (hey - they're _potential_ perps) was too great... I'll have a more in-depth play at lunch...

CraveNoir

Here's the readme with info on the full game.

JUDGE DREDD: DREDD VERSUS DEATH
---------------------------
BETA DEMO

//***********************************************************************

Minimum requirements:

DirectX 9.0a required

Default Controls
----------------
W - forward
S - Backward
A - Strafe Left
D - Strafe Right

E - Jump
Shift - Crouch

Q - Melee Attack
F - Action (Arrest/Request/Use)
C - Challenge
G - Stumm Gas Grenade

1 - Select Primary Weapon
2 - Select Secondary Weapon

Mouse - look around
Left Mouse Button - Primary Fire
Right Mouse Button - Change Ammo Type
Middle Mouse Button - Aim/Zoom

Controls can be adjusted using the in-game Options Menu
Video Resolution can be adjusted using the in-game Options Menu

This demo version includes Story Chapter 3 and Arcade Modes "Zombie Headshot Apocalypse" and "Riot".

The complete game will include:

12 Single Player Story Mode chapters

Two player cooperative play throughout entirety of Story Mode

12 Arcade Mode games unlockable on completion of Story Mode chapters

Multiple cheat modes unlockable on achievement of high rankings on Arcade modes.

Over 60 multiplayer skins unlockable on achievement of high rankings on Story Mode levels.

10 Multiplayer levels

Customisable Multiplayer Game Modes

Multiplayer Bots

(c) 2003 Rebellion.  The Rebellion logo, 2000AD logo, Judge Dredd and associated characters, objects and locations are trademarks of Rebellion A/S in the U.S. and/or other countries.  All rights reserved.  Developed by Rebellion.

Vivendi Universa Games, and the Vivendi Universal Games Logo are trademarks of Vivendi Universal Games, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.  Published by Vivendi Universal Games International.

//**********************************************************************

WoD

More Pyro More!!!

What about the graphics?  Did it run OK on your PC and what's the rough spec of your machine, etc.?

Did you grin like a loon while playing?

WoD.

Pyroxian

Graphics are nice - I'm not a fan of stylised graphics for FPS though. I'm playing it on my work machine which is a P4 2.2 Ghz with a GeForce 4, 512mb RAM and an Audigy 2 soundcard - so not surprisingly it runs very smoothly.

Yeah, I grinned... Looking forward to lunchtime, so I can give it a proper play.

Steve

CraveNoir

I just played through the single player level. Lots of fun, especially as I  kept punching people when I meant to talk to them.

Took a while to figure out what to do, and how to progress. Basicly challenge everyone, cuff all perps, and if they resist blow them away. I found the cries of 'help' distracting at first as I'd try to find out who needed help! I don't think I snuffed anyone who didn't ask for it. Well, maybe one but he was guilty. They all are. You want some? Huh? I oughta bust your punk ass back to juvey, creep! Just gimmie a reason!

Ahem.

Nothing cool happened in the level. I just arrested everyone in sight, and shot anyone who needed shooting. I have no idea what Narcos was trying to say to me at the end as I accidentally punched him out.

It seems movement slows as you lose health. I think it may also affect the speed at which you look around which would be annoying if it did as it's hard enough to find a good mouse sensitivity setting in games like this. On that note, you can ramp the sensitivity up or down  quite a bit.

The weapons are all okay, but they really remind me of the Dredd Half Life Mod. They don't seem to have much more oomph than those ones. Dredd's footsteps sound a bit twinkle toes (whatever that means) when he's running. And the machine-gun which comes in very useful in the second half of the level sounds very weak indeed. Dredd's voice is good, as are the voices that come over the radio. The HUD is fine, but I'd like the option to change the colour from bright blue.

Characters sometimes go 'uh-oh' when you're on the scene, which sounds way too teletubbies. Maybe some other derisive sound would be better. Also many speeches are too British sounding.

The AI is buggy. e.g. a gang of agitated perps running around with pistols out, and completely ignoring me. It's a pain that all perps can take loads of damage before dying.

The arcade levels are odd. The zombie one is pointless, and the riot one is bizzare as perps just spawn all over the place. Can't turn your back for a second.

I think deathmatching will be a lot of fun.I hope they'll be some decent servers up to run all the dm modes when the game comes out.

The graphics overall are okay. I was disappointed to see the skybox was... just a skybox. From many of the screenshots I expected it to be a 3d model with chrome-like specularity glistening over the blocks. The rain effects are impressive, if you like a rain drenched mega-city.

You can play the demo in 640*480, 800*600, 1024*768, or 1280*960. I was running at 1280*960 and as far as I could tell it ran fine on a 128mb QuadroDCC/Geforce3 (P4 2.4 1GB RAM).

My advice is to turn up the gamma on your display settings or, like in many of the screenshots, the game looks dark and muddy.

I would REALLY like to be able to adjust the saturation level. Like with most games it's fine for console players who can turn the colour down on the TV but PC players are stuck with oversaturatd colours. A gamma slider would be welcome too.

To get rid of the logos that come up when you launch the game delete or remove the three 'bik' files in the FMV folder.

Pyroxian

Played throught the Singleplayer mission.

The Level graphics are nice, nothing mind-blowing (i.e. it's not Half-Life 2), but it's well designed. I'm not keen on the design of Dredd, but the Perps/Cits are OK. I liked the crucified Med-Judges too - a handy source of med-paks...

Arrgh! Walk up to a wall and then try to sidestep left or right - you can't! Very annoying, especially when trying to navigate through the little passeges between crates.

The end of level boss was nothing special, I didn't even realise it was him until it came up objective complete - could've done with a cut-scene or something.

The AI's OK, but not brilliant. I did get ignored by a few people with guns, and perps running away tended to run around the corner and stop, at which point you could walk up to them and arrest them/headshot them.

I do like the 'shouting out a challenge/blowing a few of the gang away/challenging again/arresting them' sequence - it does make you feel like a judge. But some of the crimes don't fit what you're seeing the criminals doing :( (Smoking? I didn't see him smoking - shooting me with a gun and being a member of an illegal organisation maybe, but the cigarette slipped me by). Maybe we should've had a Judge's HUD option that when you had someone targeted it would tell you what their current crime was (It'd make sneaking around more fun too)

So it's not a bad game, and if you like the Dredd world I imagine you'll enjoy this.

Steve

WoD

Had my first crack at it just now.  Not bad, it runs nicely on my laptop (which has a pretty good spec as its works and is fairly new).

Ropey AI example - I'm behind a souped-up villian and I shoot him in the head, and he doesn't turn around.

Did anyone manage to arrest one of the 'vagrants' with back-packs?  Or are they innocent?  I find it hard to believe you can't get them for loitering at least!

Could only get one of the Arcade sections to run though, the zombie one.  Their bloody fast these zombies as well,  more 28 days later than Dawn of the Dead shufflers.

Overall I'm looking forward to playing it again and will be getting it for the PS2, although I hate joypads for FPS games.

WoD.