Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

It is kinda' nice to be a minor footnote :-)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

I've never read Bryan Talbot's Grandville books, so there's a good chance he actually acknowledges it in them, but I was strolling along the rive gauche the other day when I saw a copy of this:

Turns out Jean Grandville is a legend in the world of anthropomorphic animal comics.

We never really die.

Dandontdare

Oh yes, JJ Grandville was definitely his inspiration:
QuoteThe genesis of Grandville was unusually dynamic. While researching Alice in Sunderland, Talbot explored the influence of 19th-century French caricaturist Jean Ignace Isidore Gérard on John Tenniel, who illustrated Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Gérard signed his anthropomorphic satires "JJ Grandville". "It suddenly occurred to me that Grandville could actually be the nickname of Paris in an alternative reality where it is the biggest city in a world populated by animals," says Talbot. He sketched out a basic structure in 20 minutes. "Then I started typing and wrote the whole script in six days. It was like taking dictation, it was amazing. I could hear the characters talking, I knew what they were going to say."

from https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/29/sp-bryan-talbot-grandville-father-of-british-graphic-novel

And you should check them out, they're gorgeous books

A.Cow

Others are undoubtedly already aware of it, but I just came across the term "Black Atlantic" outside the world of Dredd for the first time.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/b/black-atlantic

Seems that this meaning originates in 1983, 4 years after Wagner's Battle of the Black Atlantic storyline introduced us to the polluted ocean.

Is the historical term influenced by Dredd? Or did Wagner pick up on nascent use and create his own witty play-on-words?  Would be interesting to know either way.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Tjm86

Quote from: Dash Decent on 23 April, 2022, 12:59:04 AM
Aeroplanes.

Oh well .... if we're going down that road ....

... clouds ....

The Legendary Shark

Half the universe at night, the other half during the day.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

AlexF

Somehow it has just popped into my head that the leader of the gang who kidnapped Uncle Ump was named Ma Jong...
...as in Mah Jongg, the popular tile-based game.

That John Wagner, eh.

JayzusB.Christ

And it's just occurred to me that 'future shock' (the MC1 mental illness, that is) is a play on 'culture shock'.  I think.  Though I haven't quite worked out why Mega-Citizens consider themselves to be living 'in the future'.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I always had a problem with the term 'future shock' for the same reasons. Until I read this- handily explained by Wikipedia:

Future Shock is a 1970 book by American futurist Alvin Toffler,[1] written together with his spouse Adelaide Farrell,[2][3] in which the authors define the term "future shock" as a certain psychological state of individuals and entire societies. The shortest definition for the term in the book is a personal perception of "too much change in too short a period of time". The book, which became an international bestseller, has sold over 6 million copies and has been widely translated.

SBT

Funt Solo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 22 July, 2022, 02:48:31 PM
"too much change in too short a period of time"

I suffer Future Shock when someone's conversation segues too rapidly, and with too much frequency (such that my tracking systems start to fail).

Also ... giraffes.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 22 July, 2022, 02:48:31 PM
I always had a problem with the term 'future shock' for the same reasons. Until I read this- handily explained by Wikipedia:

Future Shock is a 1970 book by American futurist Alvin Toffler,[1] written together with his spouse Adelaide Farrell,[2][3] in which the authors define the term "future shock" as a certain psychological state of individuals and entire societies. The shortest definition for the term in the book is a personal perception of "too much change in too short a period of time". The book, which became an international bestseller, has sold over 6 million copies and has been widely translated.

SBT

Aha! Thanks for filling me in. 

JayzusB.Christ

Golgotha - literally 'the place of a skull'.  Because the hallucinogenic winds get into your skull?  I don't know, just a thought.  In any case, I had it drummed into me that Jesus was crucified at Calvary, but the Greek translation, Golgotha, sounds way more metal.