Main Menu

The Dream Warriors

Started by richerthanyou, 04 March, 2016, 07:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Heh. Wish I had dreams like that.

Mine are mostly like vague movies or just odd thoughts which I forget very soon after waking.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

We've got mice. And this isn't really a problem- I like mice, find them amusing, and catching them via the medium of an expensive humane 'trap and release' device has become something of an evening hobby, in Small Blue Mansions.

The other night, I was entertained by two of them- very small ones- who stampeded into the bedroom just after I'd turned the light off, like tiny elephants, and who showed absolutely no fear of the bemused human sitting up talking to them as they shot about, having loads of mousey fun.

Except. Every other night, the trap doesn't work. Doesn't matter what I bait it with, and how I balance the snickers on the spring-loaded ramp, the next morning the trap is empty and unsprung. It's been driving me mad, and I'm beginning to wonder if we have a particular Super-intelligent mouse, quite able to develop anti-trap techniques.

However, last night, my dream explained it all to me. Hearing a noise in the kitchen, I got out of bed and began to descend the stairs, only to become aware of one of Armando D'Ossorio's Blind Dead templars, standing at the foot of the stairs, gesturing to me to follow him into our kitchen. I followed, and found a bunch of his dessicated mates in there, standing round the mouse trap and pointing at it.

Inside the mousetrap, was a weasel. A weasel in tiny top hat and monocle, who had managed to avoid setting the trap off my stretching his neck over the ramp and picking the snickers and peanuts up with his mouth, but had become stuck this time.

The templars gestured that they wanted me to free the weasel. I freed the weasel. The templars filed out our back door and I went back to bed.

SBT

M.I.K.

Similar problem here (with mice, not aristocratic weasels and undead Knights Templar, although that wouldn't particularly surprise me either).

Non-dream related segue to mouse shenanigans follows...

The mice are field mice (aka wood mice), which despite their name have decided they're far comfier living in a house, are a lot less stinky than actual house mice and don't seem to venture any further than the walls, attic and under the sink, so must be getting most of their sustenance elsewhere. They do make a hell of a noise, though and sound like they're ripping strips off something in the attic.

They're also slightly too light to always set the humane trap off, so I've added a couple of two pence coins to the ramp to weigh it down a bit.

A few months ago I checked the trap to find a mouse within making a heck of a racket and discovered that it had picked up one of the two pence pieces, had stuck it in the gap at the bottom of the 'door' to the trap and looked very much like it was using it as a lever in an attempt to prise the trap back open. It then seemed to get frustrated and lobbed the coin towards the back of the trap, then chucked it against the back a couple of more times in what may have been an attempt to break through that way.

Upon googling "field mice and tool use" I found an article from a couple of decades ago which informed me that it had only recently been discovered that they do indeed use tools, making their own signposts from twigs, leaves and small stones because it keeps them safer from predators than what house mice do, which is to scent mark by peeing all over the place. So that'll be why field mice aren't as stinky.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

That's my favourite ever post on this forum, and I thank you for it. And yes, I think mine are field mice too, from the limited research I have done. They are amazing little creatures- and in my detailing the ongoing battle to remove them on Facebook, I came up against a predictable barrage of advice to take them "at least two miles away, otherwise they will be back indoors before you are".

I've been photographing them along the way, because the trap is big and transparent, and am pretty sure (size, markings, physicality) that all six I've caught so far are all different- and I just wander over the road and drop them at the bottom of the field, about 40 metres from the house. They scamper off- I'm sure to imminent death in the jaws of the foxes that live down there, but I like to think they've all met up again and are having mousey adventures together.

Dragging this back to dreams- a few weeks ago I became aware that I wasn't really dreaming (or at least, not very vividly) so decided to take B6 as a supplement. Ever since then- well, funting heck, it's like I spend my life on psychoactives!

SBT

The Legendary Shark

Speaking of psychoactives, I've tried mushrooms three times.

First time, nada. I'd have got more of a kick out of a can of shandy.

Second time, mostly nada. The world, the guys I was with - nothing changed. But the Moon - the Moon changed. I've never seen it look so bright, like a blob of mercury under a white spotlight, and it looked like it had rings around it, around the equator, from pole to pole, and at angles all around. And it had the most beautiful sky blue aura around it. But everything else was normal.

Third time, I just spent four hours giggling - which was fun but really quite disappointing. I mean, how are you supposed to explore the secrets of the universe when you can't stop laughing?

I haven't bothered since.

Cool mouse dream, though!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 January, 2022, 09:11:06 PM

Speaking of psychoactives, I've tried mushrooms three times.

First time, nada. I'd have got more of a kick out of a can of shandy.

Second time, mostly nada. The world, the guys I was with - nothing changed. But the Moon - the Moon changed. I've never seen it look so bright, like a blob of mercury under a white spotlight, and it looked like it had rings around it, around the equator, from pole to pole, and at angles all around. And it had the most beautiful sky blue aura around it. But everything else was normal.

Third time, I just spent four hours giggling - which was fun but really quite disappointing. I mean, how are you supposed to explore the secrets of the universe when you can't stop laughing?

I haven't bothered since.

Cool mouse dream, though!

Haven't done them too many times, but I've had some very, very intense experiences.  Mostly good, but one very, very bad.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I'd be interested to hear about them.

Maybe in PM or email, though, so as not to trouble anyone.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I'll send you a PM later today or tomorrow. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 January, 2022, 10:44:43 AM

I'd be interested to hear about them.

Maybe in PM or email, though, so as not to trouble anyone.

PM waiting for you. Sorry for the delay

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

No bother, Sharky. Me, I've just remembered there was a possibly racist and definitely filthy poem we used to recite in the playground called 'Bum Chilly Willy'* , about a promiscuous man who wore a leather jacket and grass skirt.
A year or two ago I dreamed I was watching Michael Parkinson interviewing an older and more respectable Bum Chilly Willy, who was now dressed in a suit (like MC Hammer when he appeared on The Word) and expressing a somewhat embarrassed amusement as he was asked about the excesses of his youth.

*I see from the Internet that most kids knew him as 'Um Chucka Willy'. Don't look it up, it's definitely NSFW and is best left in 1980s schoolyards.

The Legendary Shark

Bum Chilly... Oh my god... Dad!?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Proudhuff

Never have some red wine and a wee tequila while watching The Responder... the ensuing dreams are not for the faint hearted.
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

I got detached from normal, human-perceived time and space and then was terrified to see the vastness of it all, represented by gigantic spinning wheels within wheels (how the angels appeared to Ezekiel, as I've just checked on Google).  I got very depressed and very scared when I saw what a microscopic blip human life is, filled with meaningless activities to help stave off the awful knowledge of our own insignificance.

In other news, I had four pints and a steak and Guinness pie in the pub last night.