Main Menu

what happened to the TPO and albert

Started by Devons Daddy, 14 March, 2003, 06:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

the TPO has been superb i am sure we all agree. but how come a classic character who started life in a future shock and ended up being a well loved one was not mentioned.
i mean ALBERT SNAZZ the man with the double decker brain.
surely such a clasic example of pure mad and brillantly excuted scripting shoudl have got at least nod. of some form.
or did i miss his name along the way.
something to include in the printed exteneded version perhaps.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

mongor2003

They forgot to mention Hap Hazzard as well.

DavidXBrunt

Too many thrills and not enough pages?

davidbishop

Bingo! (Not to be confused with Bonjo, natch.)

TPO was planned as running to a maximum of 12 parts. That meant covering more than 100 progs per article. In the end that proved impossible, but a lot of material either got cut or never even made it into the first drafts.

In the end TPO ran to 15 parts plus the bonus article run in Meg 4.18 - 33% larger than originally planned. Total word count was circa 80,000 words.

If I ever get off my arse and find a publisher for the book version, I expect the word count will comfortably top 100,000 words.

But I still don't guarantee Abelard Snazz will make the cut. Or Hap. Sorry.

davidbishop

DavidXBrunt

But the campaign for a box-out about this web-site begins here...

Or doesn't. I'm apathetic.

judgejampot

"Rebellion's nerve was sorely tested in the early years of the 21st century by a bunch of over-enthusiastic fanboys who posted huge amounts of gibberish on the nascent 2000ad website."

Will this do?

all hail the Trout Mask Replica!

DavidXBrunt

Heh. Jason Kingsley had this to say - "Who could have imagined that in the early days of the 21st century, across the vastness of the internet, that we were being observed by intelligences far smaller than our own...."

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Devons Daddy

thankyou  MR Bishop.
please dont take my comment in a negative way.
the entire TPO was a total and complete brillant piece of writing. informative and in depth.often shocking and quite amazing,
 a short run sold through the internet only could be at the least cost effective and at best profitable for you.
please do consider such a venture. i would state for the record i would be on the purchase list.

how you ever stuck with it through the years is the only question which leaves to be answered really.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

davidbishop

"how you ever stuck with it through the years is the only question which leaves to be answered really. "

Love of comics and love of 2000 AD in particular. I imagine it's the same for almost every editor of the weekly - they slog their guts out, work far longer hours than they get paid for and emerge at the end, tired but mostly proud of what they managed to achieve (and frustrated at what they couldn't).

davidbishop

JayzusB.Christ

Fair play. I really enjoyed TPO, and never realised until I read it how many near-death experiences 2000ad has had. Any chance of a similar series of articles about the Megazine? It seems to have survived by the absolute skin of its teeth.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"