Main Menu

Patrick Stewart back as Picard in new series

Started by Greg M., 05 August, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

TNG is just about my favourite show of all time and Picard my favourite Star Trek captain, so yeah great news I guess.

Given CBS All Access is only available in the USA, what does this means in terms of viewing it in the UK? I guess it's too early to say.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Star Trek Discovery was on CBS All Access in the US and on Netflix over here so I think they'll do that again hopefully

wedgeski

Very excited by this! I spent all Sunday speculating with my Trekkie friends what the show might look like. One of the coolest things, for me, is that we're going to be seeing a continuation of the TNG universe... at least I sincerely hope we are, and not some daft Young Picard or alternate universe nonsense.

It's a long way off, but with one excellent new series underway, and this to look forward to, I feel like Star Trek  is back in rude health.

von Boom

I am so excited by this news. I couldn't be bothered to finish Discovery and now disbelieve it took place. Much the same with the Abrams films. Now I have something to look forward to!

Tiplodocus

Hurrah.

Co-starring Famke Janssen I hope. I like to think they finally got together.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Greg M.

Quote from: wedgeski on 06 August, 2018, 09:25:58 AM
One of the coolest things, for me, is that we're going to be seeing a continuation of the TNG universe...

Yes, apart from Sir Patrick himself this has to be the biggest draw, and surely what most fans have wanted to see for some time: the post-Nemesis universe. I don't think Picard will be a ship's captain in it - I quite like the notion they might pursue either the archaeological or ambassadorial routes for the character. I'd love to see Captain Riker appear though, or, just because we all know Michael Dorn wants it so badly, Captain Worf.

Richard

He's too old to still be a captain. He'd be retired by now, or perhaps an admiral or a lecturer at Starfleet Academy.

Richard

Ruler should be an admiral, like in All Good Things...

von Boom

Maybe Picard has decided to live The Good Life.  :angel:

TordelBack

Greg M.

I feel like Riker could still be a captain: his rise to first officer status was meteoric, but after that it takes him 15 in-universe years to accept a captaincy. I can imagine him spending a good twenty years as captain (not necessarily of the Titan, of course) now he finally has it. That said, after they got married, Deanna might have given him a kick up the arse to get promoted faster.

TordelBack

Biggest shake up will be the absence of Data, and I doubt Beverley will be featured too much: too restrictive to go back to a will-they wont-they and too depressing to have them married and divorced as in AGT. It'd be great to have Admiral Riker,  Captain Worf, Deanna and Geordi about the place,  though - and Wesley is an absolute must.

I like the idea of Picard as the Chair of Federation Archaeology,  happily footling about on digs across the galaxy, getting dragged back into uniform to solve some diplomatic crisis or mystery. Everyone involved must be cursing Berman & Co for their moronic decision to kill off Robert and Rene in Generations, they provided Picard with a perfect off-duty setup.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 06 August, 2018, 02:58:10 PM
He'd be retired by now, or perhaps an admiral or a lecturer at Starfleet Academy.

SPACE PIRATE.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.