Main Menu

Prog 2040 - Murder Wrap!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 15 July, 2017, 12:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: Frank on 19 July, 2017, 02:40:45 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 July, 2017, 02:01:43 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 July, 2017, 02:00:01 PM
That shot of a 'Henry' on the shelf of artefacts made me chortle!

In Judge Dredd, that is!

Anyone know if the bust from the dictators of Zragg is based on something from an old strip?

Was it just a name drop that Tharg used to use in his editorials or am I misremembering?

There is a touch of the Alan Moore's aboutvit though!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Steve Green

Looks a bit like the alien that Bolland used to draw on the old Forbidden Planet ads. Nose is different though.

Magnetica

Quote from: Frank on 19 July, 2017, 01:57:32 PM
And yes, Abnett is Tharg's most valuable player by a significant margin. **

** Wagner and Williams now being restricted to coming off the bench for the odd ten minute run out

Best and most prolific writer definitely, but I think you could make an argument for Henry Flint as MVP as well. Let's call it a draw.o

Dandontdare

Quote from: Frank on 19 July, 2017, 02:40:45 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 July, 2017, 02:01:43 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 July, 2017, 02:00:01 PM
That shot of a 'Henry' on the shelf of artefacts made me chortle!

In Judge Dredd, that is!

Anyone know if the bust from the dictators of Zragg is based on something from an old strip?

Well, they don't look like that bust, but I think Cal may have had some influence on them...http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?choice=386&Comic=2000ad

Frank

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 July, 2017, 07:05:34 PM
(Abnett is Tharg's) best and most prolific writer definitely, but I think you could make an argument for Henry Flint as MVP

D'Israeli versus Flint would have to be decided by penalty shootout.

Tharg enjoys an embarrassment of riches in terms of artists; great writers are thinner on the ground, and therefore more valuable.

That's true of comics in general, not just 2000ad. An artist who's also a good writer could really clean up - I'm sure this forum in particular will all agree that the world would be a better place if there were more Frank Millers.

Echidna

You know, I wasn't looking forward to more Greysuit, but this a brisk, engaging opener. If the villain had actually been carrying a terrified lamb it would have been perfect.

Quote from: Magnetica on 16 July, 2017, 02:35:18 PM
Hunted: nah. The "reveal" was a massive "so what".

Yeah. If the series - or at least an episode - had focussed on those two characters, the betrayal would have had more of an impact. As it is, I can't even name either of them.

Still too many typos slipping through the net, I'm afraid - this week we have "Build a giant temple to the demon space-gods they worship and fill it will [sic] a human population as a sacrificial offering", spoiling a classic slice of Abnett, and, "Nu Earth. Where the answer to an age-old question may about to be discovered." But then, "may be about to be" is pretty clunky anyway.

Quote from: Frank on 19 July, 2017, 09:38:37 PM
I'm sure this forum in particular will all agree that the world would be a better place if there were more Frank Millers.

As long as they all retired at the age of 43, sure. But if we're firing up the cloning machine, let's just run off a few more Abnetts and have them write the whole prog like Wagner and Grant used to.

norton canes

Cover: Really great, it's got a proper pulpy feel about it that's emphasized by its lurid turquoise hue. The texturing on the bandages is a nice touch too. Although... I know from the story inside that it's not actually a mummy, but given that the unfortunate judge has just had their life forces drained away, should they really have immaculate teeth?

Dredd: OK first things first - you can't use the same pun on the cover, and as the story title and as the punchline! That's just lazy editing (or sub-editing or whatever).

Notwithstanding that the story is impressive, an inventive idea and well told, but it really needs two episodes, it's a bit rushed. It could have ended with the revelation that the bandages were alive, in a large panel with them attacking the judges, and there could have been a bit more tension in the second installment as it hunts them round the museum. As it is, the resolution seems a bit pat. Ah well. Tom Foster's art is getting better and better, would love to see him on a longer Dredd or his own series.

Brink: Hmmmmm... got to say, it's not absolutely the kind of ending I hoped for - I was holding out for something a little more cataclysmic, or at least not so open-ended. Still, it's been a fine read right through - let's hope book three isn't too many months away.

Greysuit: I'm calling bullshit on this. There's no way this script would have got anywhere near the prog if it didn't have Pat Mills' name on it.

Grey Area: Not quite as much fun as last week's one-shot but let's see how things develop. Someone's been watching the ghouls battle from Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger!

Hunted: Burbling along without any real direction or impact.

Jacqusie

Quote from: norton canes on 22 July, 2017, 11:52:45 AM
Cover:  given that the unfortunate judge has just had their life forces drained away, should they really have immaculate teeth?

Just what I was thinking, that mummy's dentist is much better than mine.

I was also thinking that Greysuit was dog poo, close to your assesment, but having read this weeks episode (The Tourette's singing) if it wasn't Pat Mills, it wouldn't even be slush pile material... oh dear, 9 more weeks of this...  :|

Zarjazzer

I absolutely loved that Dredd!  Fabulous art and pun -tastic story. Brink I enjoyed if very wordy for an ending but I found myself struggling with grey suit.  Hunted was fine and Grey Area still to read. Oh, classic cover too.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Jacqusie on 22 July, 2017, 12:06:27 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 22 July, 2017, 11:52:45 AM
Cover:  given that the unfortunate judge has just had their life forces drained away, should they really have immaculate teeth?

Just what I was thinking, that mummy's dentist is much better than mine.

I was also thinking that Greysuit was dog poo, close to your assesment, but having read this weeks episode (The Tourette's singing) if it wasn't Pat Mills, it wouldn't even be slush pile material... oh dear, 9 more weeks of this...  :|

I must confess to never having read Greysuit before, but I'm already struggling to get over the name 'Bolivaria'.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 23 July, 2017, 11:46:55 PM

I must confess to never having read Greysuit before, but I'm already struggling to get over the name 'Bolivaria'.

But ever and I mean EVER made up country in comics has a terrible name. Its some kinda unwritten rule... or maybe some one wrote that rule and I've just not seen it?

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 July, 2017, 09:08:59 PM

But ever and I mean EVER

You sure you don't mean every? ;)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 24 July, 2017, 09:55:29 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 July, 2017, 09:08:59 PM

But ever and I mean EVER

You sure you don't mean every? ;)

No I think I made it clear I mean EVER, EVER, EVER

If you want to throw random Ys about to try to make my comments make sense, actual cold hard sense, well that's your business.

Pah! Sense...

James Stacey

Maybe Mr Mills should add some extra 'y's into Greysuits then :lol: I want to like it I really do.

norton canes

The only 'y' as far as Greysuit is concerned  is 'y' it's in the prog at all.