Main Menu

Prog 2041 - Rumble in the Jungle

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 July, 2017, 01:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Solid, solid prog, full of action.

Dredd has a nice welcome return from Mike Carroll - who prefers his full name these days it would seem - one of the things that I've really enjoyed about his Dredd's is he's building quite the supporting cast and with Paul Marshal (who does a brilliant job but makes Dredd's badge look like an emoticon on page 4!) is returns a character I've been looking forward to him bringing back since their first appearance.

Grey Area brings on the action, always feels like he's stronger on the less energetic episodes where his skill on character, dialogie and story really shine,  but he does a good job here and while Mark Harrison isn't always the clearest of artists by and large he carries the pace off. Last page provides a nice epilogue and a taste of where things are going I suspect. Once again a top thrill.

As is Grey Suit. In this case Pat Mills seems stronger when he's masking his preaching with a lot of action as with last week he balances the two deftly here. A spoon full of violence helps the polemics go down, polemics go down, poolemics go down...

Nice to have a Future Shock by a new team in the Prog and while its utterly predictable and has a sizable plot hole I utterly enjoyed this one. Helped by the fact that the art was fantastic. Happy to see more from both.

Hunted should have been good, but its left me behind, its just not doing anything for me now and it feels like this is the episoe that really should have brought it all home a bag. Also too late and while in isolation it was no doubt good stuff I've stopped caring.

A post Brink Prog was always going to have an up hill struggle. But this one does as good a job as could be hoped for.

glassstanley

Could somebody please point me in the direction of the Dredd returnee's previous appearance? I think I'm muddling up 2 previous storylines in my mind.

Colin YNWA

Proudhuff

Four weeks of progs and a megazine... and a trounce from the comic shoppe, I'm never going on holiday again  :-X
DDT did a job on me

JoFox2108

Great prog - I really enjoyed it!

Dredd - This was a good solid start.  Nice artwork and an interesting beginning to a new story.  I did really like seeing [spoiler]vega[/spoiler] appear at the end - only then did the unicorn on the letter make any sense!  She's kind of crazy but I like her. 

Grey Area -/b] I am really loving this.  I think a strip's always great when I find myself genuinely hating one of the characters and caring about the others.  I thought the action was nicely handled and I really enjoyed the way Mark Harrison's art displayed the violent confrontations.  This is my favourite strip at the moment.   :thumbsup:

Grey Suit - Wow - this was really great too!  I'm loving Pat's story in this strip.   :cool:  John Higgins' art works well with the subject too.  It was really really helpful for me to have that introduction in Prog 2040 - it just gives another whole dimension to the action when you know the backstory.  Really great job guys!

Future Shock - I do quite like Future Shocks so this was lovely to see.  The story left me a bit non-plussed (just a really guessable twist) but the art was excellent!

Hunted - I'm just looking at the artwork nowadays - I don't really know what's going on with this one.  I've kind of lost the thread.

So, generally another excellent Prog. 
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

Magnetica

Really fantastic cover.

As to the Prog - pretty much what Colin said.

Objectively it was a good Prog but I'm really missing Brink, so that unfairly marks the whole thing down.

As to the future Dan Abnett has started work on the next book of Brink and INJ Culbard on the next book of Brass Sun which is due at the end of the year. Yeah great, but what does that mean for when we will actually see more Brink (assuming/ hoping he is doing the art)? Hope we don't have to wait a year.

A.Cow

Quote from: JoFox2108 on 22 July, 2017, 06:04:27 PM
She's kind of crazy but I like her.

Loved the gag about the [spoiler]brick "accident"[/spoiler] being already written into the letter.

Muon

Any other digital subscribers getting a failed download and a message saying "the downloaded data is corrupt"?

I'm pretty excited to be told my latest 2000 AD is corrupt, actually. Looking forward to seeing all the Caligula-style debauchery once I actually get to download it.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Muon on 26 July, 2017, 02:17:30 PM
Any other digital subscribers getting a failed download and a message saying "the downloaded data is corrupt"?
I had a couple of failed attempts last night but got it in the end.

Very nice cover from Alex and a thoroughly enjoyable opener to the new Dredd with some nicely judged Mega-City comedy.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 26 July, 2017, 02:32:08 PM
Very nice cover from Alex and a thoroughly enjoyable opener to the new Dredd with some nicely judged Mega-City comedy.

That incredible cover's going to end up on the front of a trade collection. Always a fan, but replacing the airbrushed geometry of recent years with painterly abstraction is paying off beautifully. Ronald's working his way back to the days when his color work looked like he'd spent a week flicking a toothbrush at each page.

Look at the depth and variety of shapes and textures in the jungle*, and the composition's so much more sophisticated and dynamic too. Ronald's expressed a desire to get back into strip work - he better mean black line, because nine panels like this per page would leave his finances and emotions in the same state as Greg Staples' following Dark Justice.

* inna jungle, inna jungle, inna jungle, inna-inna jungle.

Eamonn Clarke

Mine says the same at the moment.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 26 July, 2017, 03:17:46 PM

Mine says the same at the moment.

Mine was earlier, but seems to be fixed now - had to restart the app though.