Main Menu

2000AD RPGs

Started by sheridan, 11 April, 2016, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third Estate Ned

Thanks, guys, for all this information. That's loads to be getting started with. A bit daunting, even, but don't take that as a complaint.

And thanks, Theblazeuk. Without having looked at it yet I was wondering whether all the open source material meant it wasn't strictly necessary to have any specific Dredd/SD source book since all the material/background for a scenario can be gleaned from the comics.

After reading your conversion tips I'm thinking the GURPS system that the GamesMaster already knows could be used to accommodate a Dredd scenario of my own making. Otherwise the players would have to learn another set of rules.

Seems like there's tons of ways to do it without having to fork out too much.

sheridan

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 07 September, 2017, 04:37:23 PM
And thanks, Theblazeuk. Without having looked at it yet I was wondering whether all the open source material meant it wasn't strictly necessary to have any specific Dredd/SD source book since all the material/background for a scenario can be gleaned from the comics.

The rulebooks I mentioned wouldn't have anything setting specific, they're all about the mechanics of the games.  You're supposed to have the Dredd, SD or Slaine books and the players handbook (PHB) for 3.5, but the freely-downloadable one can replace the PHB.

Oh, if you do end up going down the D&D path, the three 'core' books (though many people get by with just the PHB:
PHB: Players HandBook
DMG: Dungeon Master's Guide
MM: Monster Manual
of if you don't want to fork out for those:
SRD: System Reference Document (released under the OGL: open gaming licence).

Third Estate Ned

I would never have imagined how much in-depth reference material was required for this. The only core books available where I live for the characters I'm interested in are based on Traveller. It might be worth waiting for the new 2000 AD RPGs to come out and see how they are received before committing the time to understand it well enough to play.

I would need to understand it in detail to convince the gaming group it was worth it. These are people who spent 10 mins in character bickering about whether it was better to visit the Land Registry or Civic Library first during Call of Cthulu.

Theblazeuk

You are playing Call of Cthulu absolutely correctly in those cases!

DnD is easy to use and you don't need the books to run, can easily do with the SRD available online. The only drawback with DnD would be that it's v.geared towards magic, combat and adventure - not say, being a Judge or a Dog.

Many RPGs can be purchased in PDF form from www.drivethrurpg.com btw. For example this great old school style SF game 'Stars Without Number', where you generate a solar system and factions and your players bounce around doing whatever adventures you had in mind. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/86467/Stars-Without-Number-Free-Edition

(Also apologies for my last post not being formatted properly I didn't close one of my Italics right at the start, doh)

Third Estate Ned

No apologies needed, it just heightened the enthusiasm. Will any of you be getting the new 2000 AD RPG material or would be a case of learning yet another system?

I like the fact the first book will be self-contained.

Robin Low

Quote from: sheridan on 06 September, 2017, 07:58:43 PM
In some ways (basic stats) GURPS is a little like D&D/D20. 

I'd say GURPS and D&D (any edition) are very, very different beasts.

In some way, GURPS could be a good fit, as in theory it's adaptable to your vision of a setting, but the apparent level of detail and number of options can be off-putting even for experienced gamers.

However, my suggestion would be Savage Worlds, £6.99 +p&p:

http://www.gameslore.co.uk/acatalog/PR_Savage_Worlds_RPG_Deluxe_Edition_Explorers.html

For a pdf version of the game and support, try here:

https://www.peginc.com/product-category/savage-worlds/

Regards,

Robin

sheridan

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 07 September, 2017, 09:55:42 PM
I would never have imagined how much in-depth reference material was required for this. The only core books available where I live for the characters I'm interested in are based on Traveller. It might be worth waiting for the new 2000 AD RPGs to come out and see how they are received before committing the time to understand it well enough to play.

I would need to understand it in detail to convince the gaming group it was worth it. These are people who spent 10 mins in character bickering about whether it was better to visit the Land Registry or Civic Library first during Call of Cthulu.

They only spent ten minutes bickering?  Quite a fast-moving group then? ;)

Pyroxian

Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2017, 01:41:00 PM

They should've just split up and done both :)

Third Estate Ned

We did but my character, a disturbed WWI veteran with alcoholism as a character disadvantage, ended up in the pub getting wasted after failed dice rolls testing my will.

sheridan

Quote from: Pyroxian on 08 September, 2017, 03:37:25 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2017, 01:41:00 PM

They should've just split up and done both :)

Don't split they party!  Pity the poor GM!

Theblazeuk

That makes CoC a bit weird though as 2 war veterans, a private detective and a socialite all hang around the library waiting for the professor to spend 7 hours looking for the works of a 15th century architect. Always split the party!

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 September, 2017, 06:32:50 PM
That makes CoC a bit weird though as 2 war veterans, a private detective and a socialite all hang around the library waiting for the professor to spend 7 hours looking for the works of a 15th century architect. Always split the party!

No, no, no... you need to go to the Land Registry first to research where you're going, then the Library - as any PC sufficiently skilled in Research based abilities will be far too insane following a visit to a CoC Library to successfully find anything out at a map based place.

Incidentally, I'll be appearing on the Mega-City Book Club podcast soon talking about the Games Workshop Judge Dredd RPG (and mentioning Call of Cthulhu, or at least a Carbide Spelunker Lamp).  Admittedly, it's mainly just me reading out my draft zero notes in my second poshest voice as nerves rather got the better of me, but hopefully it might be of interest (I was also supposed to do something called 'being pos-i-tive' that I've never quite got my head around...)
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Theblazeuk

GURPS Traveller is available as a super cheap PDF bundle at https://bundleofholding.com/presents/GURPSTrav1-2017

You can also find a bundle of GURPS Traveller Wars for more bloodshed, which seems suitable for the Tooth.

sheridan