Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Wasps and spiders. My two phobias. Oh, and wells. But there isn't an uprising of wells, so I won't worry about that one.

I'm not keen on locusts either. While there's a massive insect drop-off overall, some places are producing conditions just perfect for pests:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/02/12/hundreds-billions-locusts-fueled-by-conflict-climate-change-are-swarming-east-africa/

The Legendary Shark

At least locusts are edible - they're even kosher!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 February, 2020, 09:29:35 AM

At least locusts are edible - they're even kosher!

Aye, just as well, 'cos it seem likely the crops in places like Ethiopia are going to take a massive hit.

The Legendary Shark

I know it's not much of a silver lining but it's there.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

Although it turns out if you have a seafood allergy, you're basically fucked when it comes to eating insects. So that's me out when it comes to such nosh.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 February, 2020, 10:37:47 AM
Although it turns out if you have a seafood allergy, you're basically fucked when it comes to eating insects. So that's me out when it comes to such nosh.

Oh! What sort of seafood? I have an unpleasant but non-life-threatening one, but only (I think) to certain kinds of fish...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

It does seem that it's time to bite the beetle and start looking into ways to make eating insects palatable and safe.  A friend of mine got dysentery after eating a fried cockroach in Asia, but it would seem that he was supposed to pick a small piece out instead of drunkenly stuffing the whole thing down his gob, legs stuck in his teeth and all.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

I must confess to being quiet fond of Locusts on the occasion I ate them. If you've ever eaten a King Prawn you've basically got the experience right there.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 February, 2020, 10:20:55 AM

I know it's not much of a silver lining but it's there.

Aye, some people might survive the famine.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Gary James

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 14 February, 2020, 03:16:31 PM
Aye, some people might survive the famine.
Living just long enough for the floods to get them.
Or fires raging uncontrollably across the landscape.
Or rapidly mutating viruses for which we have no cure.
Or meteors which our technology can't see coming yet.

Or being hit by the No.42 bus while nipping out to the newsagent for a Cornetto.

shaolin_monkey

Carbon Brief is doing a week-long series on tipping points. The intro article is well worth a read, as are many of the guest articles linked within:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/explainer-nine-tipping-points-that-could-be-triggered-by-climate-change?utm_source=web&utm_medium=referal&utm_campaign=TPContentBox