Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Dare you doubt Tharg's explanations puny Earthlets!!!

To my eye the art has that oily inks look (and letratone!) that the earlier O'Neill has, though he appears to have redrawn some panels  - the soul sucking on the restaurant manager being the most obvious.

As for the strip swinging insanely and unexpectedly from Killer Watt.... well it is Pat Mills - you'll get ued to it!  :D

sheridan

I
Quote from: Leigh S on 11 September, 2018, 05:56:12 PM
Dare you doubt Tharg's explanations puny Earthlets!!!

To my eye the art has that oily inks look (and letratone!) that the earlier O'Neill has, though he appears to have redrawn some panels  - the soul sucking on the restaurant manager being the most obvious.

As for the strip swinging insanely and unexpectedly from Killer Watt.... well it is Pat Mills - you'll get ued to it!  :D

Agreed, there's no doubt in my mind that the first two episodes of Book IV were drawn between Killer Watt and Book I.  Not noticed if there's any evidence of re-touching (or bodging, even) by O'Neill, but I'll have to look out for it next time I read it.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and twenty-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 391-394 of 2000AD, covering November and December of 1984. This week Hammerstein returns as Nemesis goes undercover, Dredd and Anderson head to the future, it's worm time for Ace trucking, The stainless steel rat returns, and Rogue trooper gets his man! Also Fox and Conrad fight a mighty battle against Conrad's terrible internet connection, with mixed results.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Echidna

For Conrad and anyone else baffled by Fox's reference at 25:20...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTL5pKYofY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0

Can't say I'm as affected by Helltrekkers as you guys - the cast are dispatched so rapidly I haven't had a chance to grow attached to any of them. That said, if Crustacia gets boiled alive I'll be super sad about it. And I'm looking forward to Quint inevitably going out like Robert Shaw.

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 17 September, 2018, 05:27:20 AM

Do you still have plans for Collections?  It seems quite a while since Ant Wars!  My vote is for Comic Rock, Nemesis Book I, Nemesis Book II, Nemesis Book III, Nemesis Book IV: The Gothic Empire (not that you've got to the end of that yet).  Do you detect a theme?

By the way - people in the UK who eat lunch in the middle of the day will eat dinner in the evening.  People who eat dinner in the middle of the day eat tea (as well as drinking tea) in the evening.  Everybody has supper.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Echidna on 17 September, 2018, 10:56:14 PM
For Conrad and anyone else baffled by Fox's reference at 25:20...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTL5pKYofY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0

Can't say I'm as affected by Helltrekkers as you guys - the cast are dispatched so rapidly I haven't had a chance to grow attached to any of them. That said, if Crustacia gets boiled alive I'll be super sad about it. And I'm looking forward to Quint inevitably going out like Robert Shaw.

I hear you about helltrekkers! For me the depression sets in a little later, once we get to the black scap, then the shootout at the fort, THEN the other stuff. It's a ridiculous build.

Quote from: sheridan on 17 September, 2018, 11:22:24 PM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 17 September, 2018, 05:27:20 AM

Do you still have plans for Collections?  It seems quite a while since Ant Wars!  My vote is for Comic Rock, Nemesis Book I, Nemesis Book II, Nemesis Book III, Nemesis Book IV: The Gothic Empire (not that you've got to the end of that yet).  Do you detect a theme?

By the way - people in the UK who eat lunch in the middle of the day will eat dinner in the evening.  People who eat dinner in the middle of the day eat tea (as well as drinking tea) in the evening.  Everybody has supper.

I've got tons of PLANS for collections, sadly those plans have had difficulties once they come into contact with all the other factors in my life :( I'm hoping to get to some soon. As for Nemesis, right now my plan is to eventually collect it according to the Complete Nemesis the Warlock editions, so it'll qualify once we finish the Gothic Empire story. Sorry for the delay with the collections, they're a fair amount of work!

Is tea a different evening meal than supper? I must say I usually imagine it being consumed in the morning or mid-day, not at night. That's a terrifying new wrinkle!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

People in the South (and posh people) have breakfast lunch and dinner. Tea (often called 'afternoon tea') is a light snack of tea and cake around 4pm.

Northerners however, have breakfast, dinner and tea - we're too poor/busy for an extra meal in between.

Oddly however, school food-servers are always called 'dinnerladies' - I've never heard any brit say lunch-lady (as in the Simpson's lunch-lady Doris)

'supper' is a minefield of class politics - for me as a kid, it meant a snack before bedtime, but posh people use it to mean a less formal evening meal - David Cameron was widely mocked for pretending to be less posh than he really is by talking about his "kitchen suppers"

I was surprised you seemed to get the 'meals on wheels' pun - meals on wheels is a longstanding social care service for senior citizens - the local council would provide a daily hot meal, delivered to the door of elderly people. Don't know if it still exists, I doubt it has survived austerity cuts.

Helltrekkers didn't depress me at all - it's like any disaster or slasher movie - you know that virtually everyone you meet at the beginning is about to die horribly, but it's fun seeing how they do it.

Never having even heard of Hill Street Blues really did make me feel old!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 18 September, 2018, 09:49:21 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 17 September, 2018, 11:22:24 PM

I've got tons of PLANS for collections, sadly those plans have had difficulties once they come into contact with all the other factors in my life :( I'm hoping to get to some soon.

Er, yes - my prog slog blog has been on pause for a year or two now - things should be a bit more settled now, so I'll get back in to it.  Soon.

QuoteAs for Nemesis, right now my plan is to eventually collect it according to the Complete Nemesis the Warlock editions, so it'll qualify once we finish the Gothic Empire story. Sorry for the delay with the collections, they're a fair amount of work!

No worries, I managed to wait however-long-it-was between Deathbringer and Hammer of Warlocks Final Conflict.

QuoteIs tea a different evening meal than supper? I must say I usually imagine it being consumed in the morning or mid-day, not at night. That's a terrifying new wrinkle!

There's High Tea - that's a meal you'd have in posh hotels involving sandwiches and scones (plus actual drinks of tea).  I've moved around the country a bit, so my vocabulary might be a bit of a confusing mix of Southern, Midlands and Northern.  If I was eating all through the day my meal-times would consist of the following:

• breakfast
  • brunch
  • lunch or dinner (at mid-day - the northern term for the mid-day meal rubbed off on me a bit)
  • afternoon break
  • dinner (even though I'll sometimes call lunch dinner)
  • supper (just before bed)
Hmm, I'm missing out the mystical power of Seven, as taught to us by Deadlock and Uncle Pat.  Must slot in another meal somewhere.  Midnight feast, maybe?

Steve Green

Growing up it was breakfast, dinnertime, teatime.

Now it's breakfast, lunch, and god knows what...

I think the concept of working for a living, sometimes at home, sometimes on the way home has scuppered my concept of what an evening meal is called.

Leigh S

Supper is alien to me as a barely even working class Brummie - I would imagine we used "tea" and "dinner" interchangeably. - mid day would be either a "dinner" (because you had a school dinner), but going home for food rather than eating with the rest meant I always thought of it as "lunch", because it was eaten during the lunchbreak.... not sure where this puts me in the scale of these things!

Dandontdare

Funt Solo

When I wert lad, we had breakfast at home, lunch at school (during the dinner break, served by dinner ladies, who weren't posh), tea at home, and any other food we ate was a snack.

Brunch, high tea and supper were mythical meals provided to posh people.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 September, 2018, 01:58:38 AM
When I wert lad, we had breakfast at home, lunch at school (during the dinner break, served by dinner ladies, who weren't posh), tea at home, and any other food we ate was a snack.

This is a solid summary.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 September, 2018, 06:23:47 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 September, 2018, 01:58:38 AM

This is a solid summary.

For me too,  in Dublin. The only supper I was aware of was fish'n'chips consumed by Alf Tupper on the way to a big race (probably involving hurdles),  and brunch was something invented by Enid Blyton. Dinner was something you ate on Christmas Day, or more generally something involving a roasted bird. I was pretty shocked to learn that down the country they ate dinner every day at lunchtime,  and my failure to do so made me irretrievably posh

Eamonn Clarke

Ten posts explaining our geographical confusion about what to call our evening meal.  :lol:
Ah the joys of living in the British Isles.
I'm looking forward to the episode about how we pronounce the word Scone.

:P