Main Menu

Misty

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 June, 2017, 10:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Sorry if this has a thread already but if so didn't spot it (a review thread that is). ANYWAY.

I've been looking forward to reading this but my giddy aunt (who strangely never appeared in the comic) this was good. Bloody good. Now I enjoyed Moonchild quite a bit. Sure it wore its inspiration very firmly on its sleeve, but crossing Carrie with Grange Hill is a xtroke of genius and it makes for a quite fantastic, if straightforward story and the art was pretty damned nice.

So yeah that was good. BUT The Four Faces of Eve aside from having an astonishly good title is frankly brilliant, just brilliant. The mystery, the villians, the hero so delightful the setting so evocative, the art so, so superb. Really this is first rate comics, everything about it works... well lettering aside. Its gripping from begining to end. Perfectly timed and just as long as it needs to be. Wow this was a real surprise, so impressed.

Am I right is there another volume of Misty reprints on the way?

sheridan

maryanddavid

The Four Faces is great, I read it years back, I think in my sisters copies of 'The Best Of Misty'.
Reading it again reminded me of how unnerving Misty could be.  Moonchild, a decent tale too, great art.

M.I.K.

Malcolm Shaw's name is spelt wrong on the cover for Misty volume 2 on Amazon.

Robo-K33F

Quote from: M.I.K. on 28 July, 2017, 01:52:19 PM
Malcolm Shaw's name is spelt wrong on the cover for Misty volume 2 on Amazon.

It's spelt correctly on the final cover. they must have been sent an earlier version.

M.I.K.

Okay. Good to know.

I know from experience that it's a very common error. I usually just ignore it when it relates to myself.

Muon

Just finished Moonchild and it was surprisingly good fun and zipped along at a really good pace. The dialogue and characters really reminded me of the spiky girls' comics I used to nick off my sister. And thanks to this, I'll never be able to watch Carrie again without half-expecting one of the characters to suddenly go, "lumme, crash us a fag will ya mum?"

Muon

Okay, I finished The Four Faces of Eve as well now. Damn, that was a good story. Great art with interesting settings and really expressive faces, and the story had a great pace to it. I'm hooked now and I'm going to get the second volume of Misty reprints when it comes out.

I remember reading a lot of similar strips as a kid, and I remember this being kind of a trope in stories like this, but the abuse and neglect the characters suffer was the real horror for me reading the comics as an adult. Poor kids! You've got Moonchild getting beaten by her mother and then going to school to get picked on by that scarily sadistic punk girl. Then you've got Eve, with her pretend parents who never show her any affection and the other guy who refers to her as "it"! Somehow it's far worse than seeing blokes with suits getting decapitated in Greysuit. And the writers always rub it in by allowing the characters a brief moment of happiness before the really bad shit happens. They're really well-constructed stories.

Prodigal2

Is Misty Vol 2 still on schedule for a mid November release date?

Prodigal2

Can't get a bead on it in the shop for pre-order.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Prodigal2 on 16 October, 2017, 10:27:36 AM
Can't get a bead on it in the shop for pre-order.

It's up on Amazon.