Main Menu

Wii advice....

Started by Buddy, 07 August, 2007, 02:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Will soon be picking up a wii for the boy and am seeking advice from those in the know on what to purchase with it in way of accessories.

Extra controller is a given but what else should I look out for?

I understand the controllers have rechargable batteries and have seen a sort of 'docking station' where they can be placed to charge up.

What else should I get to fully appreciate the wii?

Am also investing in a 19" LCD monitor/TV but that's a bit further down the line.

Cheers..

Banners

The controllers do NOT have rechargeable batteries I'm afraid.
You can buy third-party docking stations I think but I just use regular rechargeable AAs and they seem to last for a couple of weeks between charges.

An SD memory card is useful if you plan on looking at photos, but other than the extra controllers - grab a Wiimote (one comes with Wii Play) and a Nunchuk - you're pretty much good to go with what's in the box. Indeed, Wii Sports is the game you'll keep coming back to.

M@

Satanist

Get Wii Play as that comes with the extra remote and has some mini games. And a spare Nunchuck so you can play two player boxing.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Satanist

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Buddy

Ah yes, wii play is on the list.

Trout

My parents have one of these, and I had a go when I was visiting them this summer.

I don't know if the Canadian version's different, but I bloody loved the baseball.
The simplest games seem to work best.

- Trout

The Amstor Computer

I'd recommend - assuming budget will stretch - picking up:

Wii Play (includes a second remote)
A second nunchuk
A 1GB+ SD card (will let you store more Virtual Console games, as well as photos, music and movies for the Photo Channel)
A Classic Controller (many of the SNES, Megadrive and all of the N64 Virtual Console games require this or a GameCube controller)
An official SCART or component cable â?? depending upon your TV setup, use one of these instead of the rather rubbish composite cables the system ships with for a brighter, sharper and more colourful picture
A pack of 8 rechargeable AA batteries â?? this way you can run both controllers and have a spare set charging. Steer clear of docking stations for now, as I havenâ??t seen any that seem particularly solid

WoD

I'd recommend the new 'classic' controller if you're planning on using the download service for the old N64 games, etc.  Mario 64 is great and I'm loving it as I'd never played it before.

Resident Evil 4 is a must for you (not for the little kiddies though).

PC world were cheaper on the classic controller than game by around £3 (IIRC).

I have a question as well;

If I supply you peeps with my Wii code (and you put me in) will I then get some of your Mii's on my machine?  The boy is desperate to get visitors for the parade thing.

The Amstor Computer

If I supply you peeps with my Wii code (and you put me in) will I then get some of your Mii's on my machine? The boy is desperate to get visitors for the parade thing.

Yeah, provided both sides have set their Miis to â??Mingleâ? (that is to transfer to other machines when online) Miis from people in your address book will turn up in the Parade eventually. If heâ??s just after Miis, however, itâ??s often quicker just to ask a friend to send one direct to you. IIRC, you can send up to a certain number each day & Iâ??ve sent quite a few to various people. Itâ??s always fun to drop into the Mii Channel & have a new one appear & bow to you before joining the throng :-)

WoD

Heh...I'll check the code when I get home.

The Enigmatic Dr X

There's a thread somewhere with lots of Wii codes on it. Inlcuding mine.
Lock up your spoons!

WoD

will search now and then add mine later.

Cheers Dr X.

WoD.

Tiplodocus

It'll also play any old gamecube games you have lying around and so far all of our old gamecube controllers have plugged nicely into the ports on the top (dancemat, bongos, wavebird).  So you may also be able to pick up some bargain Gamecube games to play.

Once you get it, go to the Wii shop and make sure you buy (for free) the Internet browser and Mii COntest channel - you can get some pretty good celebrity Miis for free.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!