Main Menu

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Started by Goaty, 17 February, 2016, 04:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolman

Loved it when Stallone yells at Yondu: [spoiler]"You betray the Code!"[/spoiler]. Not a coincidence.

dweezil2

Quote from: Dolman on 01 May, 2017, 04:50:25 PM
Loved it when Stallone yells at Yondu: [spoiler]"You betray the Code!"[/spoiler]. Not a coincidence.

[spoiler]"I never broke the code! I am the code!!!"[/spoiler]
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: dweezil2 on 01 May, 2017, 05:52:10 PM
Quote from: Dolman on 01 May, 2017, 04:50:25 PM

[spoiler]"I never broke the code! I am the code!!!"[/spoiler]
[spoiler]"COOOODE!!!"[/spoiler]

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

shaolin_monkey

I loved it.  I thought it was actually better than the first one.  Just the opening scene with baby Groot dancing to ELO while they battled that thing in the background had me pissing myself. 

My girls were thoroughly entertained too.  It's great for them not to be bored at all during a 2 hour+ plus film.

Awesome!

Hawkmumbler

Man, I didn't even mention what a crowd pleaser Baby Groot was. It could have been so easy for a character like this to fall into Minion territory nonsense comedy, but instead, as the Munkeh points out, every scene he was in raised a smile.

SIP

Hmmmm....just back from seeing it and sadly I thought that it was not a good film.

I'm a big fan of the original, dragging many people along to the cinema to see it. This one had many problems. For me, a lot of the humour fell flat, Drax laughed far too much (it got really tiresome), baby groot was really not my thing and did feel manipulative and the narrative was a complete mess. I felt like they tried to identify what people liked the most from the first film then just try and build a film out of those scenes repeated over and over. It felt like a series of scenes joined together one after another rather than a cohesive narrative.  Oh, and waaaay too much schmaltz.  The emotional scenes in volume 1 actually packed a punch.....here it felt forced

Disappointed with this one.  I was in a full cinema, and the audience was very quiet, none of the audience reaction that I experienced when watching the first film in the cinema.

I always give something like this a second chance (to make sure that I wasn't just in a bad mood), so will catch it again at some point with lowered expectations firmly in place to see if I enjoy it any more.

Three of us went to see this today, I thought it had many problems, another person actively disliked it and the last person (admittedly a bigger Marvel fan than me) thought it was mostly enjoyable.

Not a patch on the first one 😟

Buttonman

I liked it! Probably on par with the first. Same formula with all these films - all the different battles going on at once at the end for starters, but it wasn't taking itself seriously and the effects were good and a few laughs were had. My cinema tittered throughout especially at [spoiler]The Hoff [/spoiler]and Baby Groot. Speaking of Groot his re-gen time is very slow - in the first film limbs were sprouting all over the shop!

SIP

Trying to find a GOTG2 review that I agreed with and got to admit the majority are being positive. Thought maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it until I saw Jeremy Jahns review. I'm about 98% on the same page as this one.....

https://youtu.be/2e55tY8Rouw

radiator

I was a little worried given the muted/mixed responses I've seen here and elsewhere, but I had a blast with it. I'd heard a lot of complaints that it was just the first film over again and that nothing of note happens, and I couldn't disagree more. Audience I saw it with loved it too. All of the jokes landed and there was laughter and applause throughout.

Yeah, there's some slightly ropey plot stuff that doesn't quite hang together, all the major plot beats are pretty obviously telegraphed and the ending is a little over the top, but pound for pound I'd say its a more entertaining film than the first (we rewatched it recently and man, that first exposition-packed half hour is a real slog).

A worthy follow up and easily the strongest Marvel sequel so far for my money.

radiator

Also, I'm probably not the first person to point this out, but it's nice to see a Cliffhanger reunion!

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: radiator on 05 May, 2017, 07:29:00 AM
Also, I'm probably not the first person to point this out, but it's nice to see a Cliffhanger reunion!

Don't you mean Tango & Cash?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Greg M.

Just saw this - I was surprised to find I enjoyed it far more than the first one. I thought the first one was sort of ok, at a push, but I found the characters, Quill in particular, much more likeable this time around. And [spoiler]"I'm Mary Poppins!"[/spoiler] got a proper laugh out of me. It was also good to see [spoiler]some of the real Guardians, particularly Martinex and Charlie-27[/spoiler].

Goaty

Saw it, Loved it!

Many funny moments! One does make me laugh loud was [spoiler]Pac-Man[/spoiler]!

jacob g

"You betrayed the code".

Scene when I was the only one laughing in the cinema.
margaritas ante porcos