Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica help - season 4?

Started by Dandontdare, 12 January, 2010, 07:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I picked up a BSG box-set recently (the mini series + complete seasons 1-3) for a bargain £20, and have been chundering my way through them ever since. I want to get the final season, but the writers strike delay meant the DVD issue was a bit odd.

So far on Amazon I've found the first and second halves of season four in individual box-sets. Looks like they put out the first half when the strike derailed production and then put out the rest later in a second set. Some of the review comments seem to suggest that you'd only be able to find the full season four in the complete four-season box-set that has since come out, but I don't want that as I have 1-3.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the whole of just season 4 in a single edition?

COMMANDO FORCES

Season 4 is available as a box set of it's own. Prices vary on where you look. Ebay have some great prices, just checked £12.45 for a buy it now.

Dandontdare

Had a quick look at eBay - those all look like the ones on Amazon. Each of the half-seasons are (rather misleadingly) entitled BSG: Season 4, there's no 'part one' or other subtitle. I only found out they were half-seasons through the customer reviews. The boxes both appeared to suggest they are the full shebang, which is why I'm cautious.

I've just clicked on one of the detailed descriptions on eBay and it says "contains all 11 episodes of season 4" - which is just the first half. I think the first half was put out when it was assumed the rest may never get made. The remaining episodes did get issued in another set in early 2009, and the complete series 1-4 in summer 2009 (according to the reviewer dude on Amazon).

SamuelAWilkinson

Season four ran only to eleven episodes, then you had season five for the remaining dozen or so. The confusion arises mostly because of the whole writers' strike hoo-hah, but since production closed and then they had to wait to be given a new series by the commissioners, it counts as a new season even though together they contain the storyline originally intended to run in one neat season. Thus fans and writers may think of there being only four seasons, the broadcasters and owners of the DVD rights will treat it as five*. A flimsy excuse to stiff you out of a few more quid, but there you go.

*Though having said that, the last box set is just called "The Final Season", just to throw more confusion onto the flames of whoaooao.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Dandontdare

Quote from: SamuelAWilkinson on 12 January, 2010, 09:07:24 PM
Season four ran only to eleven episodes, then you had season five for the remaining dozen or so. The confusion arises mostly because of the whole writers' strike hoo-hah, but since production closed and then they had to wait to be given a new series by the commissioners, it counts as a new season even though together they contain the storyline originally intended to run in one neat season. Thus fans and writers may think of there being only four seasons, the broadcasters and owners of the DVD rights will treat it as five*. A flimsy excuse to stiff you out of a few more quid, but there you go.

*Though having said that, the last box set is just called "The Final Season", just to throw more confusion onto the flames of whoaooao.

Ahhhhh - that makes sense. One review referred to the 'fourth and final' season, and the other edition was described as 'the final season', hence my confusion. I think several reviewers were pissed off at not getting quite what they thought they were buying, so took pains to warn that it was only a half-season effectively. So they're actually regarded as two distinct, but rather shorter, seasons then? Why couldn't the feckwits have called it Season bloody five on the box?  ::)

Seems like two purchases to complete the run then. Cheers Mr W.

SamuelAWilkinson

Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.