STAR TREK RIGHTS.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 18 August, 2019, 08:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

Now if they could only sort out the rights with Star Fleet Battles we could end up with a Star Trek where the Kzinti could be held up as a foil to the Klingons.

TordelBack

But the Kzinti appear in TAS, and thus CBS should already have a claim for TV use - with Niven's blessing too, presumably. SFB use and development of the Kzinti (and the Lyrans) for a (wonderful) game can't block that, can it?

Be even better if SFB could finally use post-TOS ship design elements as a result.

O Lucky Stevie!

An episode featuring the Kzin was planned for the fifth season of Star Trek: Enterprise before the pin was pulled.

Whatever became of the Skorr is what Stevie wants to know.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 August, 2019, 01:36:58 AM
But the Kzinti appear in TAS, and thus CBS should already have a claim for TV use - with Niven's blessing too, presumably. SFB use and development of the Kzinti (and the Lyrans) for a (wonderful) game can't block that, can it?

Be even better if SFB could finally use post-TOS ship design elements as a result.
That's the dream. It would be a boost to the game certainly.

Dandontdare

I had no idea the Kzin had crossed over into Trek (must reread Ringworld sometime soon!)

I thought I had early onset dementia while reading the star trek wiki last night, because it was talking about races and stories that I had absolutely no memory of ... then realised they were from the online game  ::)

O Lucky Stevie!

Prompted by sometime collaborator David Gerrold, Niven pitched an episode featuring micro-black holes & the Outsiders to DC Fontana for ST:TAS. Which she thought was a bit too cerebral for a Saturday morning cartoon programme so Fontana suggested that he adapt his short story The Soft Weapon for Trek instead, swapping Nessus the Puppeteer with Spock instead.

Niven subsequently rewrote his original pitch as The Borderland of Sol.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"