Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Super8

Really enjoyed it. It probably helped that I had very little idea of what to expect.
I think some people will say it's a bit mawkish and there were probably a ton of plot holes but I never seem to notice them on first viewing. It definitely gets a recommendation from me and I'd say it's quite evocative of films I watched as a child in the 80's.

[spoiler]I'm not sure if it's supposed to have anything to do with Cloverfield - there were rumours that it was related early in its development and the alien definitely looks like it could be related even though its much much smaller.[/spoiler] 

Buddy

Quote from: HdE on 27 July, 2011, 03:33:33 AM
By 'Paprika', do you mean the Satoshi Kon movie?

But what did you think??

Mardroid

Wolverine.

Most of the reviews I've read of this have been negative. I rather enjoyed it though. I'm not sure I buy the idea they came up with for Logan's loss of memory at the end though.

[spoiler]I can understand why a sure tough substance could penetrate another less tough. But two substances the same? Okay, even if it were possible if one of those objects were  moving at a fast velocity, what did that mean at the end? That he has now healed but now has a permanent hole in the metallic covering over his skull?[/spoiler]

I think they could have kept with something else, even if were only [spoiler]the trauma of having his body flooded with liquid metal that caused his memory loss[/spoiler]. Of course, that would mess up the final act somewhat and would require some restructuring...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Mardroid on 28 July, 2011, 01:29:22 AM

[spoiler]I can understand why a sure tough substance could penetrate another less tough. But two substances the same? [/spoiler]

Clearly you've never played Minecraft
You may quote me on that.

Emp

THE EAGLE

Starts off well enough, some nice fight scenes with the Roman army doing what it did best - trampling undisciplined barbarians and the like and then it just goes downhill.

It suffers from that old problem of the trailer showing the best of the film and the rest is really a bit wank.

Think the greatest crime in is that although the 9th were wiped out to a man [spoiler]and then they find one survivior who managed to escape and hide from the tribes who were mercilessly hunting down any fleeing Romans. I have no problem with that at all, but when he turns up later with 30 others who also managed to escape the ambush,the subsequent hunting of those that fled, lived behind enemy lines for near 20 years and still have their fucking kit is when i start looking for things to throw at the TV. the endings pretty predictable too. [/spoiler]

All in all I think THE CENTURION is a better film.

HatefulCactus

A Rango and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas double feature. Here's why. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0ehoco2acQ&feature=related
Feel My Hate!

SmallBlueThing

PIRANHA 3D (but in 2D)

Just... wow! I'd been putting this off, as i thought it'd be unbearably shit, but much to my surprise the opposite turned out to be true.

You know the story: teenagers get eaten by fish. But what we have here is a tour de force from greg nicotero and howard berger giving the gore an edge and, for me, finally pushing them out of savini's shadow. Much carnage ensues, all lovingly crafted and for the most part seemlessly merged with the convincing cgi.

It is, of course, a titty flick- and there are multiple tremendous gnorks on show; most notably our own kelly brooke (ex of big breakfast), who really should receive the queen's award for industry, or the nobel prize, or something. She's gorgeous, and she's naked a lot of the time, canoodling with another naked lady underwater in scenes reminiscent of the creature from the lagoon. But with more potential for trouser damage.

Christopher Lloyd and Richard Dreyfuss turn up at various points, to lend the movie some genre cred, it has plenty of jumpy bits, and all the right buttons are pressed.

There's even a glorious cgi cock-eating sequence which is the one and only time ive ever wistfully rued not having the crowded cinema shared experience of seeing a 3D penis floating in front of my face.

Plot holes galore, but if you're the type who cares about that then just stay away. The end promises a sequel, and i'll be first in the queue. Magic!

SBT

Pete Wells

I'm currently watching Disney's Jungle Book with my little girl and she's absolutely spellbound! I'm thrilled, it's bringing back so many of my own memories...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Pete Wells on 01 August, 2011, 09:41:10 AM
I'm currently watching Disney's Jungle Book with my little girl and she's absolutely spellbound! I'm thrilled, it's bringing back so many of my own memories...

My dad (now 80) absolutely loved this movie, and in the pre-VHS days, whenenver this came back around at the local cinema, he'd drag us all down, whether we wanted to go or not!

klute

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 01 August, 2011, 09:33:25 AM
PIRANHA 3D (but in 2D)

Just... wow! I'd been putting this off, as i thought it'd be unbearably shit, but much to my surprise the opposite turned out to be true.

You know the story: teenagers get eaten by fish. But what we have here is a tour de force from greg nicotero and howard berger giving the gore an edge and, for me, finally pushing them out of savini's shadow. Much carnage ensues, all lovingly crafted and for the most part seemlessly merged with the convincing cgi.

It is, of course, a titty flick- and there are multiple tremendous gnorks on show; most notably our own kelly brooke (ex of big breakfast), who really should receive the queen's award for industry, or the nobel prize, or something. She's gorgeous, and she's naked a lot of the time, canoodling with another naked lady underwater in scenes reminiscent of the creature from the lagoon. But with more potential for trouser damage.

Christopher Lloyd and Richard Dreyfuss turn up at various points, to lend the movie some genre cred, it has plenty of jumpy bits, and all the right buttons are pressed.

There's even a glorious cgi cock-eating sequence which is the one and only time ive ever wistfully rued not having the crowded cinema shared experience of seeing a 3D penis floating in front of my face.

Plot holes galore, but if you're the type who cares about that then just stay away. The end promises a sequel, and i'll be first in the queue. Magic!

SBT

Ive cast a quick look at this due to the fact im about to watch this now.

Ive just watched a film documentry called Catfish i was hooked all the way through. ill have to watch grizzly man again another film documentry i would recommend watching.

Both flawed but equally good
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Richmond Clements

Monsters- what a load of shite. It's not often I say that about a movie, but I was bitterly disappointed in this. And blah blah yadda yadda low budget. Don't care- the story made absolutely no sense at all. 

Dandontdare

Anyone catch Frankenstein on telly last night? I switched over hoping for a version of Mary Shelley's classic, maybe the 1931 Universal picture or the 60s Hammer one; but it turned out to be a  pilot for an American cop show featuring a pretty detective and her partner hunting down Dr Frankenstein and his murderous creations, assisted by the original monster, who's gone all deep and poetic and lives in an abandoned theatre with a wise old black woman.

I hope to Grud this never got made into a series. MY eyeballs still hate me for watching it to the end.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 02 August, 2011, 04:45:13 PM
Monsters- what a load of shite. It's not often I say that about a movie, but I was bitterly disappointed in this. And blah blah yadda yadda low budget. Don't care- the story made absolutely no sense at all.

Aw, I liked it!

Watched Captain America last night and bloody loved it. Got 'Super' lined up for tonight's viewing - I've heard good things.

klute

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 August, 2011, 05:00:53 PM
Anyone catch Frankenstein on telly last night? I switched over hoping for a version of Mary Shelley's classic, maybe the 1931 Universal picture or the 60s Hammer one; but it turned out to be a  pilot for an American cop show featuring a pretty detective and her partner hunting down Dr Frankenstein and his murderous creations, assisted by the original monster, who's gone all deep and poetic and lives in an abandoned theatre with a wise old black woman.

I hope to Grud this never got made into a series. MY eyeballs still hate me for watching it to the end.

In all honesty i didnt really know what the hell i watching was it a pilot for a american cop show along the same lines as X-files but not as good or was a watching a tv movie that featured 2 promising actors that whose careers seem to have took a dive?

The end was sh*t and left me wondering if there was going to be another episode/movie of this abomination....apparently not,as my  4year old would say "What a mess"
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Robin Low

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 02 August, 2011, 08:14:05 PMWatched Captain America last night and bloody loved it.

Enjoyed it here too. I think my favourite moment was the bit with the grenade.

Regards

Robin