Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

When mucking about with the figures for my calendar entry, I was struck by how ancient the Marvel Legends version of Dredd looks! His face, I mean. That cheap figure actually has pretty good articulation. (I can't speak of the ReAction one.)

On comparing Legends with 3a version, it struck me that each has a weapon missing. Marvel Legends got the boot knife, but no daystick. 3a got the daystick but no boot knife. Part of me wishes I had the skill and bravery to craft a scabbard for 3a Dredd and give him the Marvel Legends bootknife. It's not quite the knife I envision (I prefer something with a more pronounced, point, like the Mezco version but bigger) but at least I'd know the 3a version had all his gear. (Well minus all the extra bits like grenades, handcuffs, etc, which Mezco had, but I don't see them as the essential items of Dredd's arsenal, although I love the fact Mezco included them. Lawgiver*, daystick, boot-knife... those are the essentials to my mind.)

Another part of me thinks: don't tamper with the original versions at all! Keep each with his own bits (oo-er) etc.

I'm impressed by the work and skill you guys have with your modifications, etc though. If I had that skill, I think I'd leave it for the cheaper figures, in case something went wrong! Hee hee.

*Optional two kinds of lawgiver, which I think is a nice feature for these pricier figures. 3a did that, Mezco didn't, but Mezco had so much else, so no complaints there at all.
On the other hand

teckno viking

Quote from: lincnashOZ on 26 December, 2016, 04:15:11 AM
Stub gun is looking awesome teckno  :)

Here is a group shot of the clones.

As for the inevitable comparisons:-
Re-Action = Great for its nostalgia value (the only 1 around for 15+ years !).
LCBH = Good "Marvel Legends" version of Dredd.
Mezco = Great modern "action figure" Dredd.
3A = awesome "pose-able" Dredd straight from the Postergraph.

They are all DROKKIN' excellent, they are all Dredd  :D.

Thanks lincnashOZ, did my first Stub when Mezco first releases DREDD. Great 3A supposedly doing them as more weapons for the Justice Dept Armoury, the Better lol

Next for me is RIOT Foam tank and gun.

Now as for the comparison photo, truly the 1/12th scale MONEY SHOT!

Alas never had the Hasbro one so only one missing from my collection.  Been through too many ReAction Anderson & DREDDS for shoulders, belt and acc's to use with Mezco and custom. That some collectors would cry LOL

Dreddzilla

Quote from: teckno viking on 26 December, 2016, 05:43:25 PM
Quote from: lincnashOZ on 26 December, 2016, 04:15:11 AM
Stub gun is looking awesome teckno  :)

Here is a group shot of the clones.

As for the inevitable comparisons:-
Re-Action = Great for its nostalgia value (the only 1 around for 15+ years !).
LCBH = Good "Marvel Legends" version of Dredd.
Mezco = Great modern "action figure" Dredd.
3A = awesome "pose-able" Dredd straight from the Postergraph.

They are all DROKKIN' excellent, they are all Dredd  :D.

Thanks lincnashOZ, did my first Stub when Mezco first releases DREDD. Great 3A supposedly doing them as more weapons for the Justice Dept Armoury, the Better lol

Next for me is RIOT Foam tank and gun.

Now as for the comparison photo, truly the 1/12th scale MONEY SHOT!

Alas never had the Hasbro one so only one missing from my collection.  Been through too many ReAction Anderson & DREDDS for shoulders, belt and acc's to use with Mezco and custom. That some collectors would cry LOL
I don't remember Hasbro ever making a Judge Dredd figure.

lincnash

Early 2000's I think, ToyBiz owned all the rights to Marvel licenses on action figures.
So "Marvel Legends" were the 6 inch (1/12 scale) standard for comic figures.
Marvel Corp was financially shaky around 2007, so sold the action figure rights to HASBRO.
Released the Non-Marvel, "Legenedary Comic Book Heroes" (LCBH) Series along with the Marvel characters.
Dredd and Death were part of the Series 1 releases. (Translucent Death variant also).
Mean Machine was slated for release in Series 2.  :'(
I may have it wrong but I think they sold the rights in 2008.

So LCBH series is technically a Hasbro release.

lincnash

Now if 3A's, Apocalypse War Dredd just has the "correct"  ;)
lime/yellow/blue early colour scheme of the Re-Action Dredd.
I will have to get a case.  :lol:

Misanthrope

Quote from: lincnashOZ on 26 December, 2016, 09:03:29 PM
Now if 3A's, Apocalypse War Dredd just has the "correct"  ;)
lime/yellow/blue early colour scheme of the Re-Action Dredd.
I will have to get a case.  :lol:

Judge Death was from series 2.

Hasbro only had the rights to make Marvel characters.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Dash Decent

Quote from: lincnashOZ on 26 December, 2016, 08:55:35 PM

Were they the ones that also did the Rogue Trooper prototype, or was that a Reaction figure?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Misanthrope

Quote from: Dash Decent on 28 December, 2016, 11:19:00 PM
Quote from: lincnashOZ on 26 December, 2016, 08:55:35 PM

Were they the ones that also did the Rogue Trooper prototype, or was that a Reaction figure?

Re:Action. There is a picture floating around of the prototype with Mean Angel and a black suited Dredd.

COMMANDO FORCES

If I remember correctly, Mean Machine was on display at one of the Dredd Cons in Oxford. Also, those figures were designed by Jonathan Bayliss, who did stuff for Termight Replicas.

Mardroid

I got some superglue today and just used it to glue Judge Fear's loose helmet wing in place.

Good news: It works a treat. It's actually firmer than the other side now, which I've noticed is a bit wobbly. (I noticed they weren't quite in alignment, but as the glued one is now solid adjusted the other.) I won't be gluing the other in a hurry as well though as it hasn't popped out and... well the bad news below...

Bad news: I had a damp bit of kitchen towel ready to wipe off the excess stuff which inevitably pops out when you stick the wing in the slot... but I underetimated how quickly this stuff actually sets. Result, white splodges near the join. Ugh.

I tried using hot water and this time a bit of cloth but that didn't really work. (I also spent ages in the bathroom trying to get it off my fingers. It's mostly off but when my finger started to feel sore I decided to leave it as I'm not sure if I'm peeling off skin. I'm not really bothered as it will wear away in time, but the white splodge on Judge Fear is a bit of a nuisance.)

I hear nail varnish remover works for these things. I might try to get some tomorrow. Hopefully it works on the hardened stuff.

On the plus side it's just a bit and doesn't look to bad. It could be a part of the wear or decay or something, but it sticks out to me.

I'm such a child sometimes. :-[ :lol:

I was planning on using it for Dredd to glue his stumps in place after I've  finally removed his hands. The hope was that if the glue is strong enough, the pegs will stay put when I exchange his hands. I'm having second thoughts about that now.... :lol:

Mardroid

Incidentally I think acetone (the chemical in nail varnish which acts as an unbonding agent) can damage the paintwork on these figures. I think if it were applied and quickly removed (assuming it's affect on the glue is pretty fact) the damage should be minimal.

SIP

Do not put acetone anywhere near it - it will strip the paint off and can also melt the plastic. Not easy to deal with superglue I'm afraid. Best thing would be to use a sharp blade and take off the white carefully, then touch up the paint with some black acryllic.  Doubt you will be able to get it back to normal but with some care you could greatly improve it.

lincnash

My Fear had a wobbly helmet wing too.
I wiggled and removed it from the socket.
Put a dab of superglue on some newspaper.
Dipped a match and applied it sparingly.
No excess to "stain" the figure.
Repair worked great and my fingers were not stuck.  ;)

A wealth of information from boarders on Re-Action figures.
Here is an ancient link from MARCH 2000 that may be of some interest.
http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/353.shtml

Misanthrope

I didn't think the Re:Action figures were that bad. Durham Red was a bit ropey, but Dredd and Alpha were spot on. Slaine was the best of the bunch, though.

teckno viking

ReActions weakness was articulation. Johnny Alpha, Dredd and Anderson awesome figures par sa But Articulation dire.

Hasbro Articulation was awesome, alas the figure not so much lol Though if you removed the helmet from the head HASBRO gave you a full faced DREDD head sculpt.