Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 22 May, 2019, 03:51:28 PM
Man that Nim Chimpsky link is but one of the things I love about this place, cheers.

I just hope that they gave him that orange in the end...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 May, 2019, 09:43:30 AM
I wasn't an Eagle reader in the 80s, but I'm enjoying the Where Eagles Dare podcast - I have only just learned from the latest episode where forum veteran The Amstor Computer got his name from.

Yup! Always had a soft spot for the series in the Eagle, and it just stuck :)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 25 May, 2019, 05:50:53 PM
I wasn't an Eagle reader in the 80s, but I'm enjoying the Where Eagles Dare podcast - I have only just learned from the latest episode where forum veteran The Amstor Computer got his name from.

I remember that era of Eagle fondly, if somewhat vaguely. Walk or Die always stuck in my head, and prepared me for the horrors of the first grown-up novel I ever read, Lord of the Flies.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 May, 2019, 08:49:03 PM
Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 25 May, 2019, 05:50:53 PM

I remember that era of Eagle fondly, if somewhat vaguely. Walk or Die always stuck in my head, and prepared me for the horrors of the first grown-up novel I ever read, Lord of the Flies.

Don't remember Walk or Die - my non-2000AD IPC era was Scream!, Battle Action Force, Billy's Boots and Martin's Marvellous Mini in Tiger, photostrip changing to conventional Doomlord, Manix, One-Eyed Jack in Eagle.

Lobo Baggins

Oh! Fillmore Faro from the Judge Child Quest pronounced his last name as "Pharaoh" and not "Far-oh"!

I see! That explains all the Egyptian stuff...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 30 May, 2019, 12:29:27 PM
Oh! Fillmore Faro from the Judge Child Quest pronounced his last name as "Pharaoh" and not "Far-oh"!

I see! That explains all the Egyptian stuff...

Bloody hell.  I missed that too
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

I thought it was also very clever to set it in Memphis (Tennessee as opposed to Egypt)

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I got that part of it, at least.

The Legendary Shark

Torchwood, I've just discovered, is an anagram of Doctor Who.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 June, 2019, 11:00:48 PM
Torchwood, I've just discovered, is an anagram of Doctor Who.

It was also the codename for new who before it was released, so that nobody would know what they were working on - they liked the codename so much they put it in the story.

The Legendary Shark

I didn't know that, either.

Worst. Nerd. Ever. :(

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I'm half-proud to say I knew the Torchwood thing.  Worked it out myself. (Did I fuck - I saw it on the internet. Never even watched it.)

That said, I've just realised that the Great Beard, the nickname of a writer who is the best in his field, is a play on the Great Bard, the nickname of a writer who is the best in his field.

In other news, after an Auf Wiedersehen Pet YouTube marathon, I've just discovered that Brian Johnson from AC / DC is a Geordie, not an Ozzer.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 June, 2019, 07:13:42 PM
That said, I've just realised that the Great Beard, the nickname of a writer who is the best in his field, is a play on the Great Bard, the nickname of a writer who is the best in his field.

Would the Great Beard also be known as 'The Original Author' when his work is adapted for film?

Frank

https://www.amtrak.com/home

Return To Armageddon - Return, as in single, half-fare, or day saver. Thanks to Morgan Spiceman on the 1977-2000ad Facebook group.