Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

650-654 is coming up next and it was really good. Does 650 ever get mentioned when people try to discuss the best prog ever? I am looking forward to the coming weeks and I suspect that in real life Conrad and Fox have already hit the big reveal of this period. Conrad has by now read more 2000ad than I have..

sheridan

Quote from: WhizzBang on 18 June, 2020, 10:12:38 PM
650-654 is coming up next and it was really good. Does 650 ever get mentioned when people try to discuss the best prog ever? I am looking forward to the coming weeks and I suspect that in real life Conrad and Fox have already hit the big reveal of this period. Conrad has by now read more 2000ad than I have..

I agree it does look like a good prog, but it's still not 335 :)

I did just double-check to make sure there was no lurking dud Future-Shock in there, but every one of the stories running in 335 was a classic.  And we got a Ron Smith poster no top of it!  This has made me really excited for my own prog slog, as I'll be there within a month!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 18 June, 2020, 11:37:21 PM
Quote from: WhizzBang on 18 June, 2020, 10:12:38 PM

I agree it does look like a good prog, but it's still not 335 :)

I did just double-check to make sure there was no lurking dud Future-Shock in there, but every one of the stories running in 335 was a classic.  And we got a Ron Smith poster no top of it!  This has made me really excited for my own prog slog, as I'll be there within a month!

This period, from 650 to the end of 1989, is incredibly strong and tightly packed, both for our episodes and for the prog itself. Dredd, Slaine, and War Machine/Chopper in color and Zenith and Dead Man in black & white, no future shocks or other distractions, it's amazing! It's also some of my favorite episodes we've recorded as well. 209 will be a new listener episode, and both 210 and 212 are very special episodes to me! My understanding is that 650 was also a big commercial success, and is the real proof of concept of having a regular "jumping on prog"

I've always said that I've read the first 1000 progs, and then from prog 1950 onwards (in theory, I'm way behind on my modern reading). We have indeed gotten to the first of three big reveals in 1990, I got Fox's immediate reaction to it on tape, so look forward to that in a few episodes' time!

Also I'll tease here that I've got a big idea brewing for the end of next month, so start getting excited for that!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 19 June, 2020, 02:20:53 AM
We have indeed gotten to the first of three big reveals in 1990, I got Fox's immediate reaction to it on tape, so look forward to that in a few episodes' time!
I have been looking forward to this for a while so I am glad seem excited about it too - can't wait!

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 19 June, 2020, 02:20:53 AM
Also I'll tease here that I've got a big idea brewing for the end of next month, so start getting excited for that!

Hmm, the ideas we already know about are:
- Megazine coverage
- Star Lord ("Remission"? Star Lord was supposed to be on a mission to prepare earth for something or other
- Diceman ("Replay"?)

There is not much point in doing The Best of 2000AD collections since your own collections already kind of do that. My guess is it is the Daily Star strips.

sheridan

There's Crisis and Revolver as well.  Crisis was out for a few years by the time the Megazine was released, so is contemporary with the podcasts at the moment.

Colin YNWA

Crisis is a very different beast, even though I always think of it as a natural extension of the Prog.

I'd love Conrad and Fox to do a Diceman play through that would be such fun!

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 June, 2020, 03:49:25 PM
Crisis is a very different beast, even though I always think of it as a natural extension of the Prog.

I'd love Conrad and Fox to do a Diceman play through that would be such fun!

As somebody doing a prog slog, any ideas on how that would be presented?  What if Dredd, Slaine, Rogue, Nemesis, Torque, etc gets killed before the end?  Re-do the whole lot but with different decisions?  Pretend that every combat is successful so that it isn't a re-tread time after time?  I'm sure there are Fighting Fantasy podcasts / youtube channels where these have been dealt with...

Colin YNWA

No just a really short episode!

Turn to 47... oh I died... Join us next time when...

As I recall some of the Diceman stories could be a bit punishing couldn't they? Its been an age since I read them.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 June, 2020, 04:06:51 PM
No just a really short episode!

Turn to 47... oh I died... Join us next time when...

As I recall some of the Diceman stories could be a bit punishing couldn't they? Its been an age since I read them.

In the Nemesis one I think there was one bit where you had to go fast otherwise you died, almost immediately followed by having to go slow, otherwise you died (or lose deviant points or whatever the scoring system was).

SpaceSpinner2000

We'd probably do Dice Man like we did Tomb of Terror and just have a straight play through. You'll remember for that that while Fox made it to the end I died with an episode or two left!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 20 June, 2020, 04:27:11 AM
We'd probably do Dice Man like we did Tomb of Terror and just have a straight play through. You'll remember for that that while Fox made it to the end I died with an episode or two left!

Oh yes - having two of you playing may mean you the podcast has two lives :-)

Colin YNWA

That's very cool. Looking forward to that.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 June, 2020, 01:47:24 PM

That's very cool. Looking forward to that.

Someday! But not someday soon. :(

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and ninth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 650-653 of 2000AD, covering October and November of 1989. This episode we're at the start of a new era! All new thrills, two more in color, and since it's a fresh start for 2000AD we're making this a new listener episode! We're taking some extra time to introduce the comic itself and the stories within. If you're new to 2000AD or to us here at Space Spinner 2000, This is a great place to start!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

The Monarch

since we know fox knows now I will only just say....so close mate.....so close :lol: