Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Well, I didn't know that was how you pronounce the name Rudraige* and I know somebody whose name is Ruairi (who's kind to us by spelling his name Rory on facebook).

* modern spelling Ruadhraighe, apparently.

AlexF

I'm a few episodes behind in my listening, so forgive me if this has been covered, but that thing about 'in 1989/1990, a major 2000AD character WILL DIE'... it's only in retrospect that I noticed there are an awful lot of contenders. I mean in action/adventure comics it's a pretty normal trope for a hero to appear dead at the end of one epsiode only to recover in the next, but it sure happens a lot in this era.

Spoiler tag ACTIVATE

[spoiler]So Rogue Trooper is crucified in Cinnabar; Anderson gets run over by a tank during Necropolis; Zenith seemingly sacrifices himself (until it's revealed that was really Vertex); Slaine is foretold to die at the very start of the Horned God; Nemesis and Deadlock literally kill each other in Prog 700; Judge Dredd and Johnny Alpha...well, you know... [/spoiler]

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 22 June, 2020, 12:06:18 PM
Well, I didn't know that was how you pronounce the name Rudraige* and I know somebody whose name is Ruairi (who's kind to us by spelling his name Rory on facebook).

* modern spelling Ruadhraighe, apparently.

I've been alerted to this and will be pronouncing it correctly when we get to the second part of Horned God part 2 in early 1990. I promise to NEVER pronounce Yassa's last name correctly because I like "poo-vey" better than "poe-vey" for reasons that I can't define. Also I'm incapable of pronouncing Arthur Ranson's name as anything but "Ransom" I can't help it!

Quote from: AlexF on 23 June, 2020, 10:17:03 AM
I'm a few episodes behind in my listening, so forgive me if this has been covered, but that thing about 'in 1989/1990, a major 2000AD character WILL DIE'... it's only in retrospect that I noticed there are an awful lot of contenders. I mean in action/adventure comics it's a pretty normal trope for a hero to appear dead at the end of one epsiode only to recover in the next, but it sure happens a lot in this era.

A real fun part in letters is people guessing who it is, and Tharg delivering some ICE COLD dismissals from time to time. I think he literally says "Judge Corey was not a major character" at one point, which is HARSH.
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 23 June, 2020, 09:56:21 PM
Also I'm incapable of pronouncing Arthur Ranson's name as anything but "Ransom" I can't help it!

Despite having a copy of Swallows and Amazons, I was well past my teenage years before I realised they were spelt differently :-)

A real fun part in letters is people guessing who it is, and Tharg delivering some ICE COLD dismissals from time to time. I think he literally says "Judge Corey was not a major character" at one point, which is HARSH.

Remember Judge Corey - say her name!

SpaceSpinner2000

Hail, Star-Troopers! On July 25th, at 1100 UTC the team from Space Spinner 2000 will begin a journey like no other! We shall undertake...The Starlordathon!

We'll recap every issue of the classic British sci-fi comic Starlord, one issue an a hour plus the first Special and Annual, in a 24 hour test of our endurance and our capacity to withstand thrilling action! Starlord is the original home the classic Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters comics, as well as tales of time travel, alternate realities, and space adventure.

The Starlordathon will be broadcast live on our Twitch channel at twitch.tv/spacespinner2000. It will be an exciting adventure, and we hope you'll come along with us!

Until then, stay alert and WATCH THE STARS!

And drop me a line if you'd like to take part in the marathon, we've got 24 hours of cohosts to figure out!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Monarch

oho that could be fun as hell definatly slot me in if you want

sheridan

If it helps people refresh their minds on which stories featured in Starlrod:
here's a list I compiled earlier.
I originally started on that list when I was covering Starlord in my slog, but only finished it the other day (not helped by the lack of numbering on my issues of Starlord - so let me know if I made any mistakes).

Colin YNWA

Wow that's going to be fun. The fact that you are doing it live is just brilliant, brilliant. So looking forward to this.

WhizzBang

I am not sure I understand this thing correctly.

A 24 hour long podcast made live? 24 separate podcasts covering an episode an hour? It sounds a bit mad to me. Surely Conrad is not going to try and stay awake 24 hours for Star Lord? He will surely be sick of it a few hours in.

Leigh S

This sounds both super cool and a feat that would out do anything Humanity has tried before - cont me in if you ahve a spare hour (Gronk featuring episode if there's a choice!)

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 26 June, 2020, 06:29:16 PM
I am not sure I understand this thing correctly.

A 24 hour long podcast made live? 24 separate podcasts covering an episode an hour? It sounds a bit mad to me. Surely Conrad is not going to try and stay awake 24 hours for Star Lord? He will surely be sick of it a few hours in.

That's exactly it, but Fox is coming along too! We'll do an issue an hour, plus the first Starlord special and annual. It'll all be done live on Twitch, but I'll repackage it for the podcast feed at a later date (probably a few days later after I've recovered!)

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and tenth episode Conrad and Fox continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 654-656 of 2000AD, covering November and December of 1989. This episode Young Giant deals with the past, the Dead Man goes on a quest, Chopper heads to Mega-City Two, Slaine goes deep sea diving, and Zenith has one of the greatest single pages in human history! But perhaps more importantly, FOX TAKES THE WHEEL!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

sheridan

December 1989?  But...

But...

...that means the next prog will be in the 1990s!

WhizzBang

Another great show. Well done Fox! Will there be more of this or is it a one-off?

The Sega Master System was known as the 'Sega Master System' in the UK. It is the Sega Mega Drive which is known as the 'Mega Drive' everywhere in the world except the US where it was called a 'Genesis'. The Master System was a much bigger thing in the UK than the NES was and a lot of UK software companies backed it.

By 1989 the ZX Spectrum was in it's final commercial stage. It was 7 years old and had graphics and audio that were inferior to everything else around, but it had become a 'hand.me-down' machine that older brothers gave to siblings while they moved on to Atari ST/Amiga or even PC. The games became very cheap - typically £1.99 - and many old classics were re-issued on budget labels at this price.

Echidna

Fox I love your podcast but you really need a better standard of guests, this Conrad guy is super gross and totally unprofessional.

JK great job guys! Top marks to Conrad for [spoiler]keeping up the Keef Ripley kayfabe (Keefabe?)[/spoiler]

I had never heard of R.O.B. the robot before - I guess he wasn't widely distributed in the UK - so found this pretty fascinating: The Story of R.O.B. the Robot | Gaming Historian

I was a Sega kid, so the "Do me a favour, plug me into a Sega" ad in Prog 655 brought back fond memories of the TV version. Although it must be said it doesn't really work in print.

Also, a 24 hour Starlord Twitch stream is mad mental crazy and I will be there for, oh, at least 20 minutes of it ;)