Main Menu

The Vigilant Legacy.

Started by Magnetica, 18 August, 2019, 10:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Surprised there is no review thread for this yet(?).

This follows on where it left off last year for more of the same. The art by Simon Coleby is really good and suits it very well.

The additional Dr Sin tale really adds to the intrigue and there are some nice background pieces in the back. Loved the bit about Mary's watch too.

The main problem for me is this is currently being done at yearly intervals. At that rate I'm guessing it will be cancelled before it completes which will be a real shame. It needs to be at least quarterly IMO.

moly

Enjoyed this one more than the previous issue, does need to be released on a more regular basis, maybe have it as an ongoing story in the megazine

broodblik

The biggest problem as mentioned by Magnetica is the fact that this is a yearly edition. Enjoyed the art of Simon Coleby.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

dweezil2

A far more cohesive read than the previous rather disjointed issue.
Very enjoyable, with fantastic art.

Greatly anticipating reading more!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

metcalfecarr

Compared to last year this is a more traditional book.  I like the development of characters rather than them all being gung ho.  There's a few niggles in the story but if we can have a suspension of disbelief for a man flying  then I have to have a suspension of disbelief for people smoking in a club. 

The lettering, allegedly by Simon Bowland, is poor, which is why I say allegedly by Bowland who is normally so spot on, plus the baloon construction doesn't look like his.  The cross bar I comes and goesso much that it even happens in the same balloon.  This just pisses me off as sloppiness on behalf of editorial for not spending the time to check and get corrections.  It makes me think that it's actually Sam Gretton as it looks like his work on various special projects.

Simon Coleby's art is as lustrous as ever, hwe even makes Brum look interesting and for the most part accurate to the streets I know so well, and Will Sliney makes the most of his few pages.  On the downside, Jake Lynch's pages don't do anything for me.  At least he had a go, although I wish he hadn't but that's my personal opinion and Im sure some people like it.

I agree that it being a continuing series on an annual basis is a terrible idea and would like to see Vigilant more often, preferably monthly like they did with Sniper Elite, but I also appreciate that had a computer game to boost sales and the old IPC characters have a limited audience
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

Darren Stephens

Really enjoyed this and, has been said, wish it was more frequent. My only gripe...? A fiver is a little steep for such a small book. Or maybe I'm just cheap? ;-)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

maryanddavid

I really enjoyed this, although I might be a bit biased, I got to write the text feature at the end of the comic!

So great to see all of the characters back on print, and see the older Fleetway characters like Archie and Cursitor Doom drawn into the Vigilant - verse.

I think the frequency critisim is valid, but taking into account the scale of what has been achieved, a new comic featuring featuring classic Fleetway characters on the newsagents shelves is remarkable. Hopefully sales will be enough to increase the frequency.

Why does this comic deserves support? Simple, its a bloody good comic!

Professor Bear

This came as part of the Tammy/Jinty/Cor/Buster bundle, but I've no interest in it after the ++DIPLOMACY EMITTERS TO MAXIMUM++ underwhelming Death Man stories and never seeing the first issue anywhere for sale, so it's gone unread.
TBH I'm not fussed about the mashup format, despite loving these characters.  Glad others are getting something out of it, tho.

Magnetica

Quote from: maryanddavid on 21 August, 2019, 12:03:32 PM
I think the frequency critisim is valid, but taking into account the scale of what has been achieved, a new comic featuring featuring classic Fleetway characters on the newsagents shelves is remarkable. Hopefully sales will be enough to increase the frequency.

Think of it more as an appeal to see this more frequently- I would like to support it by buying it and hope it does well.

Tjm86

Having sat down to read it properly, it works quite well.  The frequency certainly isn't helping but it is still head and shoulders above a lot of the insanely overpriced crap the main American publishers churn out

I'm still being nagged to death by my youngest daughter over the Tammy, Jinty, Buster stuff though.  She is desperate for more of that lot.  It would be interesting to see how much that reflects general attitudes and what sales were like but I do hope Rebellion doesn't miss the boat on this.  Considering the number of young, female comic readers there are at present it seems daft to miss this.

Professor Bear

I'd like to see more of that, too, but have a suspicion that if given a choice between more girl comics and more blokey action nostalgia, Rebellion are going to stay in their lane publishing media aimed at aging blokes.

Proudhuff

No sign of this in Edinbra FP, will have to hit TMO's shop....
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tjm86 on 21 August, 2019, 01:22:54 PMI'm still being nagged to death by my youngest daughter over the Tammy, Jinty, Buster stuff though.  She is desperate for more of that lot.  It would be interesting to see how much that reflects general attitudes and what sales were like but I do hope Rebellion doesn't miss the boat on this.
I hope it's selling well, but locally I've seen a LOT of copies on shelves. Reading WHSmith had at least a dozen. I hope that reflects a big order rather than them just sitting there (although they were faced appallingly). If Cor/Buster was a quarterly or monthly, I'd subscribe right away for mini-G. Tammy/Jinty... TBH, I'd probably subscribe for me. (The others could benefit from being released more often, but I'm not too fussed about the horror stuff being solely a Hallowe'en thing – just that it doesn't have a load of "to be continued". Put those strips in the Prog or Meg! And The Vigilant – I'm happy enough reading it, but it's not yet grabbed me to the point I'd definitely buy a monthly.)

broodblik

I will buy a monthly Vigilant (but please keep Coleby on art duty).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

I thought this was a really solid comic - the plot was a lot more straightforward and it was lovely to actually recognise the bits of Brum on show.

Some of the lettering was below the std we expect here, especially from Simon, but there could well be good reasons for that.

It was great to see Will Sliney make his first appearance working for Rebellion (Did I tell you his first published work was in FutureQuake - Comic profile available on ComiXology or comicsy) and I'd be happy to see this become a regular title - monthly might be a bit much for the Coleby droid but a quarterly would be very welcome.