Main Menu

Worst of the worst

Started by AlexF, 12 December, 2013, 11:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

http://sequart.org/magazine/37318/the-worst-of-millar-the-10-least-commendable-examples-of-mark-millar%E2%80%99s-work-for-uk-publishers-1989-1997/

In case any of you haven't been reading Colin Smith's excellent and INSANELY in-depth anlaysis of the career of Mark Millar, here's an end of year treat for you - his assessment of the 10 worst strips by the arguably worst long-tenured writer to appear in the Prog. 10 best to follow next week.

There's not much value in opening up yet another discussion of the man's output, but I can't deny that there's something endlessly fascinting about him, not least his amazing ability to self-promote, his inability to see why a lot of his writing is objectionable (sure, he 's not shy of admitting some of it isn't very good, but that's not the same thing), and the huge popularity of really quite a lot of his work (which is by no means undeserved).

For what it's worth, I happen to disagree with Smith about the Dredd story - hardly vintage Dredd, but treating him as a Chuck Norris figure who is just tougher and harder than anyone ever makes enough sense. That 'my memories are all bad' joke made me smile right enough both then and now.

Colin YNWA

Interesting the way Colin Smith picks out individual strips for many of those and then when it comes to Robo-Hunter just kinda shrugs and goes 'Oh bloody hell just all of it alright!'

Theblazeuk

I agree that this stuff is pretty poor and Millar's work in 2000AD is not stuff I like, though I did like a lot of what he wrote in Sonic the Comic (possibly better when he has to restrain himself) and I think the Ultimates is a good story in and of itself. Loved Ultimate X-men too. He's just a bit too crass and smug about it without doing anything particularly interesting - Kick Ass 2 pretty much nailed it for me.

However...Judge Dredd is simply tougher than everyone else. That's the basic conceit of decades of concentrated thrill power.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 December, 2013, 01:31:30 PM
I agree that this stuff is pretty poor and Millar's work in 2000AD is not stuff I like, though I did like a lot of what he wrote in Sonic the Comic (possibly better when he has to restrain himself)...

Seriously? His StC scripts are really the only objectionably bad material from the whole 184 issue run (along with Woodrow Phoenix's art, who illustrated mainly Millar scripts). In fairness though, he's never tried to pretend they were anything other than awful - apparently he thrashed them all out over a fortnight to help pay for his wedding.
@jamesfeistdraws

Theblazeuk

Perhaps I have them confused.

Checking the STC wikia, I definitely do.

I take it back! They all seem to have been illustrated in the same awful style which I remember thinking was ropey even as a bairn

James Stacey

I've not read any of Colins blogs since he stopped the dedicated 2000ad blog. I really should go back and check through his comics blog, I loved his reviews / detailed ananlysis

shaolin_monkey

I've always wondered how Millar gained his 'reputation'.  Now I know.  Cheers for that - most enlightening!

Skullmo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 December, 2013, 02:47:26 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 December, 2013, 01:31:30 PM
I agree that this stuff is pretty poor and Millar's work in 2000AD is not stuff I like, though I did like a lot of what he wrote in Sonic the Comic (possibly better when he has to restrain himself)...

Seriously? His StC scripts are really the only objectionably bad material from the whole 184 issue run (along with Woodrow Phoenix's art, who illustrated mainly Millar scripts). In fairness though, he's never tried to pretend they were anything other than awful - apparently he thrashed them all out over a fortnight to help pay for his wedding.

I don't think the 'I did this quickly' is an excuse for bad work. It just shows not only is someone a rubbish writer but that they are also unprofessional.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Trout

While I can't disagree with what the (admirable) Colin Smith has written, it always bothers me a little when people write entirely negative posts about comics creators.

Yes, Millar did some dreadful work but I'd rather celebrate the good than condemn the bad. Does that make me naive?

- Trout

O Lucky Stevie!

Patience Trouty. Patience...

Next week I'll be celebrating what I'm convinced are the ten best scripts – including one miniature masterpiece – that he had published by Trident and Fleetway between 1989 and 1997. But

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Theblazeuk

I can sense a 'but' in that sentence.

With my eyes.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Trout on 14 December, 2013, 06:28:49 AM
While I can't disagree with what the (admirable) Colin Smith has written, it always bothers me a little when people write entirely negative posts about comics creators.

That article is one among many that are scrupulously fair in their assessment of Millar's output.  Colin is a stickler for giving the benefit of the doubt to the point that when he gave an honest opinion of the dreadful Earth One, he qualified it using the writer's own book on writing technique.

AlexF

And lo, here's Colin Smith's analysis of Millar's best work for 2000 AD: http://sequart.org/magazine/37332/the-best-of-millar-the-10-most-enjoyable-examples-of-mark-millar-work-for-uk-publishers-1989-1997/

I've always thought that one of Millar's best qualities was that his panel-to-panel storytelling is incredibly comics-literate. I've never been confused by a Millar comic, which is more than can be said for the early work of some far cleverer writers: say, Robbie Morrison or John Smith. Some of this may be down to the artists Millar worked with, but it's consistent enough that I think he deserves the credit, and I think it's a big part of why a lot of his work has found such a big and appreciative audience. (Some of the actual plots, and consistency of characterisation, on the other hand, not always so good.)

Proudhuff

Yes, Millar did some dreadful work but I'd rather celebrate the good than condemn the bad. Does that make me naive?

- Trout

No, Canadian.
DDT did a job on me

Skullmo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 December, 2013, 10:52:02 AM

- Trout

No, Canadian.

Being English I like to complain about everything.
It's a joke. I was joking.