Main Menu

yoincks! followed closely by bah!

Started by judgefloyd, 20 April, 2013, 11:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Seem's a very relevant time to bring back this thread this week...

Monday Yoink!

Was successfully accepted into and offered a position on the September 2020 trainee scheme for journalistic post graduates at the BBC in media city, a positions i've been working towards for 3 years now and was extremely excited to start....

Wednesday Bah!

Only for funding to be pulled for the position days later due to concerns over job security post Covid, and there's no guarantee i'll even be able to simply take up the job next September instead, meaning i'll likely have to reapply for the job and go through the long application process ALL OVER AGAIN...

Thursday Yoinks!

Was offered a similar position at the MEN after a few months waiting on feedback from my interview back in February...

Todays Bah!

....Aaaaand that position has been pulled too.

Fuck it, who needs a career eh? I'm having a drink.

Colin YNWA

Man that sucks. The silver lining is you've landed two of these in a week so when the world decides to be sane again you'll ace it...

If it doesn't decide to be sane again we'll all be fighting over a can of beans with a legion of feral cats regardless of our career path to that point.

So yah know win win really!

von Boom

Exceptionally BAH news Hawk. Hope something turns out for ya.

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry to hear it, Hawk.  Onwards and upwards.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

So, having gone from the initial delight of avoiding the prospect of being homeless by accepting the offer of a Dublin City Council flat, I now find myself in the situation of wondering what fresh Hell I have found myself in.

There is nothing wrong with the flat itself, per se. It is bright, big and airy and, by any yardstick, a distinct improvement upon the mice-infested kip that I was previously in. No, the unavoidably large elephant in the room is the couple of residents in the block who are making life unpleasant for everyone else there.

For starters, there is the self-confessed junkie 'ould one in the flat beside me, who swears that she is going to be moving out and getting treatment for her addiction. It is not enough that she perpetually leaves the front door entrance to the block perpetually unlocked (because she has lost her keys, and has to shout out to one of the tenants above for admittance when someone happens to, quite correctly, close and lock the block door behind them). But on account of her stupidity, basically anyone and their mother feel free to come into the block and do as they wilt. As I witnessed for myself yesterday at 12.30pm in the daytime, as I encountered two junkies smoking from a craic pipe on the stairs directly fucking below me.

As if that wasn't bad enough, some other asshole in the block has basically turned their flat - assuming, that is, that they are even legitimate residents in the block, to begin with - into a drinking den, to which the absolute scumbag dregs of society are allowed access at various hours of the day and night. (And, as with the junkie, it is that same asshole that they shout up to - most strenuously, I might add - from the street for admittance.) Aside from the noise and the general anti-social behavior of these mostly late teen and early-twenties males, one of the more disgusting aspects that can be ascribed to them, is that after every time they visit, they invariably end up literally pissing on the stairs of the block. (This has happened three times so far in the less than two weeks in which I have been a resident here. And on Friday just gone it happened right on the stairs at the entrance door to my own flat!)

Additionally, because of the junkie woman's basic lack of decency and attention to her home, her jacks is in such a bad state of repair, that is is literally leaking and flooding through the floor below her. (As I witnessed a Dublin City Council maintenance worker reprimand her about yesterday). This has caused an overflow, which has resulted in the ceiling above the main entrance to the back yard below cracking at the seams. And the poor schmuck in the flat below her has water - and Christ knows what else! - flowing down the walls of his flat as well. (A fact that I overheard him last night telling her in no uncertain terms.)

It says it all that, upon seeing last week, a rat the size of your average cat prowling about the back yard of the block, my biggest concern is with the two-legged vermin within.

JohnW

Quote from: paddykafka on 06 August, 2023, 10:35:18 PMI now find myself in the situation of wondering what fresh Hell I have found myself in.

Very sorry to hear they've landed you in Sonny Bono Block, Paddy.
Chin up, and keep on sluggin'*

*Disclaimer: This does not constitute advice. Any attempt to keep on slugging – especially with the chin up – is at the slugger's own risk.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

Sorry to hear about your continuing woes, Paddy. I hope thing improve for you soon.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Aw man, sorry, Paddy.  Just when things were on the up.  Sadly I think you're not far off some kind of drop-in centre or methadone clinic in that area.  Although it's a sad state to see so many junkies in Dublin and the system has obviously let them down, they can also be incredibly selfish and intrusive. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

Thanks, lads.

I've been trying the last few days to stay upbeat and keep things in perspective. Like, obviously a roof over my head is better than the alternative of being on the street, or in some dingy hostel surrounded by the kind of cretins who are despoiling and ruining this block. At least I have the option of closing my door on them and attempting to lock them out of my mind for a while.

But in addition to the issues which I already mentioned, the gutter-trash are living down to their name and frequently just dumping their garbage in the hallway. And because they are also leaving the door to the back yard open most of the time, they may as well be putting on a buffet for the rats and other vermin in the area.

Even worse than that, I spoke to one of the residents yesterday, and she told me that she had just removed two bags of shite that had been literally dumped in the back yard! I asked her if she had considered reporting all this various awful behavior to the Dublin City Council authorities, but she is too afraid to do so. She reckons that there is a criminal element involved among the scumbags, and is too afraid of retaliation and vindictive repercussions.

(She claimed that she was once attacked by one of them wielding a Samurai sword. Mind you, she's also as mad as a bag of cats - albeit in a highly strung, eccentric and relatively harmless way - so go figure.)

On top of that, some lowlife - whether one of the regular visitors, or just some randomer taking advantage of the front door also being left frequently open -is regularly opening up the residents post boxes inside the door.

And aside from all this, my left bloody foot has been giving me hell since last weekend, to the point that I can now do a vivid - and bloody painful! - impression of Jack Nicholson limping around towards the end of The Shining. But I haven't been able to go to the doctor, as I'm also trying to get the council to sort out problems with the gas & water heating, and have been keeping my schedule free as I await their call. As a consequence, I have not had a shower since I moved into this cesspit. So I've been reduced to taking bird-baths at the sink instead.

But at least the off-license in the area stocks some decent wine, which helps to numb my overall experience, here in Dublin's mini equivalent of Peach Trees. (Minus, obviously, the Slow-Mo and high powered super guns.)

Where's Judge Murphy when you need him, eh?

The Legendary Shark

Sounds grim, but at least you now have a base of operations from where to look for something better.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 August, 2023, 09:49:34 AMSounds grim, but at least you now have a base of operations from where to look for something better.

Not easy with the out-of-control rent crisis in Dublin but it's definitely an advantage to have any kind of base at all to plan ahead.

JayzusB.Christ

Yesterday I decided to bring the old Lawmaster down to my parents' house for a visit.  Coincidentally, I get a text saying that the old girls' school (now a very nice venue and coffee shop) is hosting a mini-sci fi convention, featuring Mike Carroll, among others.  Which is seriously impressive for a very small and unremarkable town in the middle of Ireland.

When I got there, however, I was a bit too late and all I saw were some Ghostbusters packing their wares up.  Bah indeed - I wanted to ask Mike if he really had called Chief Judge Walsh after me (you never know- he made my old neighbour and ex-forum member Johnnystress and his brother into Dredd bad guys).   

Oddly, the only time I met Mike before was also in my hometown (Kells, if you're interested - a famous old book was found here and that's about all we're known for).  He was giving a talk about Dredd for a literary festival and he was excellent, getting the audience booing for the likes of Orlok who they'd never heard of.  He was lovely to chat to afterwards too.  Ah well - maybe he'll turn up here again in another 6 years.

paddykafka

So are the former pupils of the old girley's school now conducting bog walks?  :D

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g644236-d3840949-Reviews-Girley_Bog_Eco_Walk-Kells_County_Meath.html

(It will tell you how far down in the gutter my mind is, that I somehow imagined that Sci-Fi convention being stewarded by young ladies in St Trinian's uniforms, lol.)

All the same, that's a bummer about you not getting to meet Mike Carroll again. But you never know. Maybe the convention will become an annual event - if it isn't already - and you'll have the opportunity to see him again next year?

JayzusB.Christ

:) Girley Bog is just down the road from my folks' house and I've been there countless times - never really thought about how weird the name was till now.   But yeah, there's a lot more happening in the town these days - hopefully there'll be something similar soon.

Barrington Boots

Got a lovely framed page of Henry Flint artwork for a great price off ebay last week.

When it arrived this morning I discovered the seller had made a perfunctory effort with the packaging, so the frame was smashed to bits and the parcel was full of broken glass. The art, luckily, seems undamaged.
You're a dark horse, Boots.