Main Menu

Prog 2122 - Your Planet Needs Thrills!

Started by Richard, 09 March, 2019, 02:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Quote from: Southstreeter on 10 March, 2019, 01:14:28 PM
Skip Tracer - I'm confused. Can anyone tell me how he disarms the bomb, and then somehow sends another (the same?) bomb to the baddies' HQ?

It's not clear to me - I'm assuming it's the same bomb, though how Blake gets it to not detonate, away from the major crime scene and onto the other guy (other than "new magic powers") is hard to decipher

Richard

In Tooth and Nail, [spoiler]every scene that wasn't of the guy who was tied to a chair and being interrogated was only a depiction of the story that guy was telling his interrogators. He was an "unreliable narrator." He told them he was some harmless guy who met Nail, but he was lying; he himself was Nail all along.[/spoiler]

Magnetica

Quote from: Richard on 10 March, 2019, 10:43:18 PM
In Tooth and Nail, [spoiler]every scene that wasn't of the guy who was tied to a chair and being interrogated was only a depiction of the story that guy was telling his interrogators. He was an "unreliable narrator." He told them he was some harmless guy who met Nail, but he was lying; he himself was Nail all along.[/spoiler]

Thanks for clearing that up. That being the case, there doesn't appear to be any fantasy or sci-fi element to the story at all. Which is fine, except this is 2000AD.

Richard

IndigoPrime

I'll admit to having a kind of whoosh moment with Tooth & Nail as well. Skip Tracker, too, although I've been kind of skim-reading that. I should probably go back and tackle that one from the start again, and see if it's any better in collected form.

Magnetica

The thing about Button Man is, it was originally intended for a completely different comic (Toxic) but was rejected. It was then offered to 2000AD and Steve MacManus decided to run it despite acknowledging that it wasn't a good fit with the brief of "future fantasy".  He did so because it was high quality. [Soure - Thrill-Power Overload].

I guess subsequent series got commissioned because it was popular.

broodblik

Button Man although not really fitting into the main setup of 2000ad is one of the best strips that ever grazed the pages of the prog. I am glad that it never got ran in Toxic (their lost 2000ad fans gain)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Button Man set a precedent though. If it's happened once (plus three sequels), then why not do it again, just for three episodes? There are four other SF stories in those three progs. I don't have a problem with it -- variety is the strength of an anthology format.

Magnetica

"Why not do it"...because it's a sci-fi and fantasy comic. That's the proposition.

For me Button Man is an exception. It was by arguably the top 2000AD writer of all time and had already been drawn (series 1).

metcalfecarr

Quote from: Magnetica on 11 March, 2019, 09:48:48 PM
"Why not do it"...because it's a sci-fi and fantasy comic. That's the proposition.

For me Button Man is an exception. It was by arguably the top 2000AD writer of all time and had already been drawn (series 1).

But then why run Chiarrascuro?  Why run Cabalistics and Absolom and Carver Hale and Brigand Doom and Silo?  All of them are horror stories and don't really fit the sci-fi and fantasy brief
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

dweezil2

Quote from: metcalfecarr on 12 March, 2019, 02:07:39 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 11 March, 2019, 09:48:48 PM

But then why run Chiarrascuro?  Why run Cabalistics and Absolom and Carver Hale and Brigand Doom and Silo?  All of them are horror stories and don't really fit the sci-fi and fantasy brief

And don't forget Leviathanand Cradlegrave!

Two other crackers and not really Sci-Fi or Fantasy either.  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

broodblik

When 2000ad was created its primary focus was sci-fi the fantasy element was added later on as well as the horror type of stories.  With the merger of Tornado Black Hawk changed from a historic type of story to the more sci-fi related story. So historic wise 2000ad was sci-fi comic. I do not mind what type of story is published as long as it is a quality story(I still prefer sci-fi with fantasy a close second).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Ok I am counting horror in the broader definition of sci-if and fantasy. The recent 3hriller however doesn't fall into any category of this nature.

Richard

Magnetica