Main Menu

Alien Franchise Reboot

Started by von Boom, 23 August, 2019, 08:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

This news makes me feel like a bowl of petunias.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-reboot-alien-franchise-ridley-scott-produce/

The Alien franchise is in a mess. Despite being some of the best science fiction horror films of all-time and featuring an all-time iconic movie monster, the series' mythology has disappeared up its own arse. The rot arguably began way back in 1992's Alien 3, with each subsequent film getting a little worse. Then came Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, which threw in a load of confusing and portentous pseudo-philosophy into the creature's origin story. Audiences were nonplussed, resulting in Covenant flopping and the franchise being on ice ever since.

Now, Disney having purchased the Alien IP as part of their merger with Fox, plans to perform an Alien resurrection. We're hearing from our sources – the same ones who revealed that an Aladdin sequel was happening, which was confirmed this week – that they're poised to reboot several high profile franchises that they acquired in the Fox deal, with Alien being the biggest.

Colin YNWA

Cos that'll work...

... well okay lets wait and see, but I'm going to be childishly cynical about this one to say the least.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 August, 2019, 09:09:01 PM
Cos that'll work...

... well okay lets wait and see, but I'm going to be childishly cynical about this one to say the least.

I'm waiting for the first 'Ripley is a Disney princess now' meme.  Or the alien queen for that matter...

Dandontdare

If they ditch all that promethearse/covenant bullshit, there's still scope for a good sci-fi horror franchise, keeping the alien as a 'monster in the shadows - I mean, if a dude in a hockey mask with a knife can get 12 movies, no reason why a killer xenomorph can't be deployed in multiple sf settings

von Boom

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 August, 2019, 12:05:50 AM
If they ditch all that promethearse/covenant bullshit, there's still scope for a good sci-fi horror franchise, keeping the alien as a 'monster in the shadows - I mean, if a dude in a hockey mask with a knife can get 12 movies, no reason why a killer xenomorph can't be deployed in multiple sf settings
That's true, but do you honestly believe Disney is the company to do that or are they going to go full Rabban on it and squeeze every drop of value out if it before abandoning it.

Dandontdare

Rabban?  :-*

Google tells me its a character in Dune, but I don't get the reference

edgeworthy

Quote from: sheridan on 24 August, 2019, 12:01:27 AM
Cos that'll work...

I'm waiting for the first 'Ripley is a Disney princess now' meme.  Or the alien queen for that matter...
Your not thinking Disney enough, they'll centre the story on Newt.
Or possibly Jones.

Proudhuff

Quote from: edgeworthy on 24 August, 2019, 12:37:57 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 24 August, 2019, 12:01:27 AM
Cos that'll work...

Your not thinking Disney enough, they'll centre the story on Newt.
Or possibly Jones.

:D The incredible space journey?
DDT did a job on me

GrudgeJohnDeed

Hrm I won't write it off but most reboots aren't great, and even if they nail it we already have an excellent Alien..  I'm dying for actual sequels in so many series!

von Boom

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 August, 2019, 12:21:09 AM
Rabban?  :-*

Google tells me its a character in Dune, but I don't get the reference
Sorry. In Lynch's Dune the Baron tasks Rabban with squeezing every last bit of spice out of Dune regardless of the cost.
https://youtu.be/rRBPS3o_IvU

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Keef Monkey

I'm that one guy who really likes Prometheus and Covenant, in fact the only Alien movie I find particularly weak (outside of the terrible AvP movies) is Resurrection and even that I really enjoy as a bit of a comic book sci-fi actioner in the vein of the Dark Horse comics.

I would rather they left it alone than rebooted.

Rately

I love the first two movies, and there's lots of good stuff in Alien 3, but everything after has been very disappointing.

Prometheus was stunning to look at, but was so incredibly badly plotted out, and soulless that I had little expectation after that that anyone will ever deliver a good Alien movie ever again.

If they reboot it, it will take something exceptional to get me back in a cinema.

Apestrife

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 August, 2019, 09:14:25 AM
I'm that one guy who really likes Prometheus and Covenant, in fact the only Alien movie I find particularly weak (outside of the terrible AvP movies) is Resurrection and even that I really enjoy as a bit of a comic book sci-fi actioner in the vein of the Dark Horse comics.

I would rather they left it alone than rebooted.

I quite like Prometheus and Convenant as well. David especially. Interesting character. Scary. I wouldn't mind his face off with the engineers pissed over what he did to their planet. Hoping to see it in some shape or form.

auxlen

I enjoyed alien 3, thought it was interesting and liked that Ripley died. the disappearing McGann confused me but I thought it was a return to its roots after the gun go of aliens (which I liked BTW)