Main Menu

15 reasons not to bother with CBR anymore

Started by Tjm86, 27 October, 2017, 07:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

1.  Everything is either 15 reasons .... or 15 memes ...

Actually, you know what, that's it!  Used to be vaguely interesting and had the odd snippet of news (okay, stuff I hadn't seen by that point).  Now it just seems to be poorly constructed click bait.  Or am I just being overly cynical?

Greg M.

Official CBR response to your post:

8 times Tjm86 bumped uglies with the forum (and 7 times it wanted him to!)

Yeah, you're right, CBR is an absolute joke these days. Most of the decent writers decamped to Atomic Junk Shop. Think Brian Cronin of Comics Should Be Good might still be on CBR - he'd be about the only decent thing left on the site if so.

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 October, 2017, 09:08:25 AM
Atomic Junk Shop

Never heard of that site Greg, will give it a go.

Anything else out there as alternatives to the laughable CBR / stomach churning Bleedingcool?

Professor Bear

I recall having to mute their Twitter feed to make sure I didn't accidentally visit their website and get another malware infection.  They also have those popup windows that won't let you read an article until you disable your adblocker - which you don't want to do, because malware.

Smith

Quote from: Tjm86 on 27 October, 2017, 07:05:55 AM
1.  Everything is either 15 reasons .... or 15 memes ...

Actually, you know what, that's it!  Used to be vaguely interesting and had the odd snippet of news (okay, stuff I hadn't seen by that point).  Now it just seems to be poorly constructed click bait.  Or am I just being overly cynical?
No,they suck.For a long while now.
You might be interested in The Outhouse.

Tjm86

8 times Tjm86 bumped uglies with the forum (and 7 times it wanted him to!)

Chortle!  Mind you, does that mean what I think it means? 

Thanks for the suggestions for alternatives by the way folks.

Greg M.

Quote from: Tjm86 on 27 October, 2017, 12:52:03 PM
Mind you, does that mean what I think it means? 

I'm afraid so - virtually every piece of CBR clickbait now seems to revolve around the subject. (Generally as regards superheroes rather than your good self, of course.)

Colin YNWA

Yeah, you're right, CBR is an absolute joke these days. Most of the decent writers decamped to Atomic Junk Shop. Think Brian Cronin of Comics Should Be Good might still be on CBR - he'd be about the only decent thing left on the site if so.

Yep completely agree with this. Used to be my prefered source of comics news backed up up by the great Comics Should be Good and Robot 6 (when it joined) for articles and interesting chat and features. It has alas followed Newsarama into becoming a little pointless - and actually to my aging eye terrible to navigate (though not been for a while so this might have changed). I think Jonah Well... Well... Well whatever his name was the founder fellow, sold it and very shortly after that it was butchered?

Alas these days I scratch around the nonsense over at Bleeding Cool in the hope of picking up news and info about upcoming releases.

Any recommendations? For the news side of things, pop to Atomic Junk Shop now and then for features, when I remember that is.

Link Prime

Quote from: Smith on 27 October, 2017, 12:13:10 PM
The Outhouse.

Tried that site a few times- found the articles to be smarmy, unfunny trash.

Smith

Quote from: Link Prime on 27 October, 2017, 02:41:37 PM
Quote from: Smith on 27 October, 2017, 12:13:10 PM
The Outhouse.

Tried that site a few times- found the articles to be smarmy, unfunny trash.
Depend on the writer mostly.

Heath C Ackley

I only go to CBR for the movie and tv news now. These stupid list things seem like filler to me. The only other interesting thing left other than the news is the Comic Book Legends at the weekend.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Modern Panther

Listen...do you hear that?  It's the sound of a self blowing trumpet...

For the last few months, I've been writing reviews and articles for the Canadian based review site Comicsthegathering.com. ( @Comicsthegather on twitter). They have a bunch of reviewers for a range of comics, but I'm fighting the good fight in spreading the House of Tharg.

There are weekly 2000ad and monthly Megazine reviews, as well as a whole host of other Rebellion related publications several weeks before release.  There will be a burst of Halloween related reviews in the next few days.

Smith

That site seems okay.But I dont really follow comic related news anyway.

Tjm86

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 October, 2017, 01:05:57 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 27 October, 2017, 12:52:03 PM
Mind you, does that mean what I think it means? 

I'm afraid so - virtually every piece of CBR clickbait now seems to revolve around the subject. (Generally as regards superheroes rather than your good self, of course.)

What!!!! You mean I'm not the centre of the universe?  Next you'll be telling me I'm not Donald Trump!

sheridan

I was expecting this thread to be about the Comic Book Reader format *.cbr...