Main Menu

Prog 1585: Falling From Grace

Started by W. R. Logan, 03 May, 2008, 10:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

"Weren't they actually stationed on the blimp as a human shield?"

Cripes! I missed that. I think maybe 2000ad strips demand too much commitment from their readers these days. When I first started picking it up almost 30 years ago, you were very much there in the moment; but now nothing much makes sense unless you a) remember what happened last time and b) care what happened last time.
STRIKE !!!

Tiplodocus

"you all creamed over that"

What all of us? Have you personally checked?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Banners

Whether you like "Dead Eyes" or not, nothing will get over the fact that a scene showing a load of neanderthals humping one another is plain horrid.

Urgh. As, indeed, they may say.

M@

Jim_Campbell

"I have to force myself to read the prog at the moment. "

I know what you mean, but I can't even be bothered to do that! Dredd and Dead Signal and that's it.

It's not even that Savage, Dead Eyes and Ten Seconders are particularly bad, as far as I can tell, I just don't fucking care to the point where it's worth my time reading them.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

I tend to read it all even if I don't like the stories. I just don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth otherwise.

That being said, I don't dislike any of the stories in the current run, although I don't like the prog as much as the previous set of stories we had (I.e. with Stickleback and Kingdom.)

That's the nature of anthologies though init?

Pardon me while I state the obvious...

JamesC

Dark Jimbo

I really like Dead Eyes!

Dammit! Now why didn't I think to say that?

;-)
@jamesfeistdraws

Bad Andy

"Weren't they actually stationed on the blimp as a human shield?"

Cripes! I missed that.

That's because I appear to have made it up. Sorree.

Proudhuff

Dear diary, I'm worried about Jim he's right off his comics

Mrs Dale
DDT did a job on me

Roger Godpleton

Only got the prog today, so I'm just going to say that this week's episode of Ten Seconders was really bad, and I was driven to a murderous rage within one panel. Worst story of the year, and possibly the decade.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Jared Katooie

Gotta say, I'm still enjoying Savage. Slight dip in quality, but still holding my interest. Dead signal is good too, with more great art from PJ.

The rest of the prog though... meh.

The Adventurer

Just got around to reading this (online through Click Wheel)

Overall opinion is I'm still digging the lineup, not as much as the beginning of the year but its still fairly strong.

Breaking it down..

JUDGE DREDD: I'm liking this, though it probably didn't need to run 4+ parts.

SAVAGE: I enjoy Savage as a rule. But this story has been a bit of a mess, I think it will read better in one sitting. But after the last series, its taken a dip in writing quality. The art is cracking however.

Dead Eyes: John Smith mindfuckery AHOY. Its a little hard to really get into though. The art is pretty amazing IMO. Some of the best in painted comic art I've come across.

The Ten Seconders: Now this series is just utterly and completely a mess. I liked American Dream quite a bit, it had a strong narrative and told a good story. But this series, between the mud art and sloppy layout I just don't know what the hell is going on any more, beyond "Brit boys lost in Crazy Super-Hero post-apoc America. Also there are Vampires for some reason". The art has improved a great deal with Ben Oliver, but its too little, too late. Good God, 9 episodes in and I can't even recall the names of ALL the important characters.

Dead Signal: Now this, this is pretty much balls-to-the-wall awesome sauce. This is the kind of thing I read 2000AD for. I smell a modern classic in the making here. I wonder if it'll have an open ending for follow ups or if it will be self contained. Kingdom needs a buddy series, ala Sin-Dex/Dante, and this one looks like its got legs.

Anyway, the Red Seas "Thrill of the Future" has got me all a twitter too.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Funt Solo

::"a load of neanderthals humping one another is plain horrid"

Prude?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

House of Usher

Just unfocus a bit and you don't have to look at their faces. Works for me. *huuurnnngh*!

(could do with more dogs though, I reckon)
STRIKE !!!

Mardroid

Woof woof!

(Pardon me, I was watching an episode of Blackadder with Lord Flasheart recently.)