Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacob g

I'm catching up with Williamson's run in RoboCop and... Wow.

I have mixed feelings about his previous works, Captain Midnight was dull, Ghosted, Masks and Mobsers... Ok but still kinda boring and Nailbiter was like comicbook pitch for TV aiming for fans of Hannibal TV series, just not my cup o tea. Yet I enjoyed first trade of his RoboCop, honestly more than all his previous works.

I think it's best RoboCop series since Furman's run (Marvel Comics) and it's sad that he wrapped his run so early (12 issues).
margaritas ante porcos

moly

Reading the new runs of Doctor strange, black magik paper girls really enjoying all of these with doctor strange probably being the best so far

Darren Stephens

Just picked up King of Comics : 100 years of King Features. Absolutely gorgeous book, filled with fascinating strips and beautiful art. Recommended.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

TordelBack

Reading Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London, care of a well-stocked Oxfam.  Despite frequent protests that I've had enough of this Under London genre at this point, I keep coming back for more. After an unencouragingly cutesy opening, this Absalomish tale quite suddenly picks up a few chapers in and two-thirds of the way through I'm really enjoying it. It's very easy reading, the characters are a bit shallow, and there's nothing here that readers of Mieville, Gaiman, Pratchett or indeed Carey, Edginton and Rennie won't have seen before, but it all comes together to create a very entertaining book perfect for a commuting read, and I'm rather hoping it's the start of a long series.

I could easily imagine a TV series too.

The Adventurer

Neil Giaman sale on Comixology led me to finally reading the Books of Magic. About half way through, though it's very not a suspenseful tale, it's surprisingly gripping.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Theblazeuk

The miniseries is really beautiful stuff, particulary the Charles Vess section.

The long-running series by John Ney Reiber takes a left-turn away from the miniseries grounding in DC weird and ultimately becomes nothing in common with Hellblazer, but it's enjoyable for a long while and pretty poignant at points. Poor Mr Hunter. Early books are pretty grand.

The Adventurer

I really want to read Life During Wartime. Apparently by our own Si Superior

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Theblazeuk

That, I absolutely hated at the time and have never revisited.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tordelback on 15 November, 2015, 07:39:48 PM
Reading Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London,

Which is apparently a comic too. Nobody tells me anything.

Hawkmumbler

Hinterkind by our very own Ian Edginton and the rather fantastic Francesco Trifogli. Nabbed all three volumes from Ian himself at the weekend and it's bloody good stuff, kind of what Escape from New York would have been like if written by C.S.Lewis. Everything about it is top notch, great characters, great plot, great development, superb art. Really, kinda frustrated with myself I didn't get the monthlies before it got canned. Hopefully it makes a return soon.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 November, 2015, 10:22:36 AM
Hinterkind by our very own Ian Edginton and the rather fantastic Francesco Trifogli. Nabbed all three volumes from Ian himself at the weekend and it's bloody good stuff, kind of what Escape from New York would have been like if written by C.S.Lewis. Everything about it is top notch, great characters, great plot, great development, superb art. Really, kinda frustrated with myself I didn't get the monthlies before it got canned. Hopefully it makes a return soon.

Yeah I'm a big fan of this series, which rather went under the radar. Shame. Still its creator owned so you never know, but the way it ended did leave me wondering if was going to come back. Don't suppose Ian hinted at TB did he?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 November, 2015, 12:17:35 PM
Yeah I'm a big fan of this series, which rather went under the radar. Shame. Still its creator owned so you never know, but the way it ended did leave me wondering if was going to come back. Don't suppose Ian hinted at TB did he?

He said he has idea's, but has other projects of more importance right now (like, say, the Scarlet Traces Omnibus and the series return next year!!!) but this could all be spin as he's a very clever chap indeed. But Hinterkind is all kinds of wonderful, just finished volume 2 this minute. Beautiful stuff.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 November, 2015, 12:17:35 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 November, 2015, 10:22:36 AM
I recently read this myself (and failed to post the long rambling review I'd planned) and quite enjoyed it. I remember you mentioning the possibility of continuing elsewhere before I'd read it but as you say (and not wanting to spoil it too much for Hawk) the ending does seem to have rather closed off a lot.

Was it just me that assumed this series probably grew out of the abandoned threads of American Gothic?
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Welp,mjust wrapped it up. Wonderful and enchanting stuff, but I can think of a few ways it could be continued.

Back in the second volume, the Graf and the Elder vampire debated invading England, but decided against it as it was too well fortified. So, while all this has been boiling over in the USA, what exactly is goin down in blighty? I'm intruiqed, for one.

And indeed, the vampires where a plot thread lefting dangeling too many. Being built up as that big a threat then dissmised in a single speech box, not good at all. Let's see this Sidhe/Vamp war we where foretold!

I have no doubt Edginton will return to the book, but it's a matter of time and HOW really.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 November, 2015, 09:40:28 AM
And indeed, the vampires where a plot thread lefting dangeling too many. Being built up as that big a threat then dissmised in a single speech box, not good at all. Let's see this Sidhe/Vamp war we where foretold.
Well the whole problem is that everything which might have been covered in future storylines is knocked over in the last two pages. Of course, we're never told how these things happen but still.
We never really die.