Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

I've restarted The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, with a view to reading them all in order and finishing with the recent ones.

By God it's slow, and his behaviour is appalling, and his whining really off-putting.

70s fiction at its best.
Lock up your spoons!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tordelback on 21 December, 2015, 11:48:11 PM

The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin (1974).  Imagine a world where The Legendary Shark is reviled ...

What do you mean, imagine...?

:-\
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 22 December, 2015, 12:08:46 AM
I've restarted The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, with a view to reading them all in order and finishing with the recent ones.

There must be a self-harm hotline you could call...?

The Legendary Shark

I'm re-reading The Stainless Steel Rat for the first time in about 25 years - it's still good fun!
As for suggestions for classic sci-fi, how about Joe Haldeman's The Forever War? That's a book I enjoyed immensely - the sequels are okay but not a patch on the original.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

QuoteThe Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin (1974).  Imagine a world where The Legendary Shark is reviled as a totalitarian materialist.  The truly brilliant story of an exceptional man discovering that anarchy is not necessarily the same as freedom.   

Perfect description.

I have a huge fondness for Heinlein's The Puppet Masters and The Door into Summer, as well as his more 'boy's own adventure' books, Have Spacesuit, Will Travel and Red Planet.

The Legendary Shark

I've downloaded The Dispossessed and will read that next. Also, The Wizard of Earthsea is a cracker - we did that at school and I've re-read it two or three times since.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Are there any good Star Wars books worth a read? If so, which ones would you recommend?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 December, 2015, 11:16:38 PM
An odd aquisition, FB Manchester where selling off Nexus omnibi for dirt cheap prices. Sadly by the time I got their only volumes 1, 4 and 6 remained, so I nabbed the first one to give it a try.

It's bloody good fun, but VERY Flash Gordon. I can practically hear the queen soundtrack when I read it.

Bollox! Having just bought the original b/w Nexus GM from Bolt-01 it made we want to seek out the omnibus editions. I'll pop in and see if there's any left before I hit ebay/amazon

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 December, 2015, 12:51:18 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 December, 2015, 11:16:38 PM
An odd aquisition, FB Manchester where selling off Nexus omnibi for dirt cheap prices. Sadly by the time I got their only volumes 1, 4 and 6 remained, so I nabbed the first one to give it a try.

It's bloody good fun, but VERY Flash Gordon. I can practically hear the queen soundtrack when I read it.

Bollox! Having just bought the original b/w Nexus GM from Bolt-01 it made we want to seek out the omnibus editions. I'll pop in and see if there's any left before I hit ebay/amazon

Buy um, buy um all Nexus is GREAT!

Hawkmumbler

If I wasn't so analy retentive about reading and buying in order I would have nabbed vol's 4 and 6 as well!

Apestrife

Evan Wright's Generation Kill. Fascinating read. I figure it can't have been an easy book to write. I felt quite bad for most people involved, and for the others worse.

Remembered alot of scenes from the tv series, especially the one where a girl is shot after her father didn't stop the car he was driving.

Brutal stuff. I really recommend it.

The Adventurer

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 December, 2015, 12:00:14 PM
Are there any good Star Wars books worth a read? If so, which ones would you recommend?

Thrawn Trillogy, Shadows of the Empire, Dark Empire (comic), Star Wars Legacy (comic), The Star Wars (comic)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

The comics Knights of the Old Republic and Empire (which largely follows Luke's old Tosche Station friends) are excellent too.  It's harder to recommend books since so many of them are mired in vast unending series, but I've always liked The Courtship of Princess Leia (Barbara Hambly) and I, Jedi (Michael Stackpole).  If you have a lot of time on your hands and enjoy vast multi-author potboilers, I think the New Jedi Order series (20 or more books, I forget) had more than a few great moments.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks for the tips, chaps - I'll give them a go.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spikes

Unfaithful music and disappearing ink, by Elvis Costello.  :thumbsup: