Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

staticgirl

Quote from: uncle fester on 06 February, 2010, 03:44:00 PM
Quote from: staticgirl on 06 February, 2010, 03:42:13 PM
My mum used to leave me in the pram outside the local co-op when shopping and forget I was there and go home. Cue phonecalls from people in the shop who'd got rather used to her doing this kind of thing. Baby brain much?

So are you sure it was your mum who came to collect you or was it just someone who wanted a better pram?
I'm happy to say I have photgraphic proof I was replaced in the same family home I came from. You can't fake those mad staring eyes... :)

House of Usher

Having forgotten to put an oxo in Sunday's risotto, I sabotaged tonight's quorn fillet salsa (tastes likje chicken!) by forgetting not to put an oxo cube in it! Damn. Note to self: no oxo cube in the salsa. Otherwise too salty and yuk.
STRIKE !!!

vzzbux

Quote from: staticgirl on 06 February, 2010, 03:42:13 PM
My mum used to leave me in the pram outside the local co-op when shopping and forget I was there and go home. Cue phonecalls from people in the shop who'd got rather used to her doing this kind of thing. Baby brain much?

That's quite shocking and scary. If my wife did that she would get a serious slap. I've had dreams of doing that and instantly wake up sweating and upset.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

staticgirl

Small village with pretensions of being a town plus it was the early 70s.  Everyone knew everyone then and I wasn't in danger. I'd be more scared if it happened nowadays because the place really is a town now and we don't know everyone anymore....

COMMANDO FORCES

We've planned on going to London on Thursday for Sam's 11th Birthday.
What do I see on the weather forecast a few moments ago, 10 INCHES of snow for the South East on Thursday. Now it doesn't worry me but I'm sure that chaos will ensue as we try to have a fun day out, that is of course if London isn't closed for the day.

Mike Gloady

Mmmmm.

That is sucky.  Hope it's wrong or at least not applicable to the places you're going.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

staticgirl

Doubt it'll be that bad in London, Kent maybe. Some of Kent is higher and gets caught by the wind off the sea....

have a look here - http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp?zipcode=London

House of Usher

I've just heard that the tutor who took over the class I used to teach this evening of the week got lynched on his first lesson. What an ungrateful bunch. A pity for the students who attended because they wanted to learn something.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Quote from: House of Usher on 09 February, 2010, 10:05:42 PM
I've just heard that the tutor who took over the class I used to teach this evening of the week got lynched on his first lesson.

Tough room.

Roger Godpleton

Drinking milk straight after eating chocolate isn't the exemplary experience one might expect it to be at the outset. Although minor fatigue may have been the third* ingredient.

*Of course, what I mean here is that it is the most obvious noumenal distraction and one that is sufficently noteworthy to be of note on this particular not-light.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Dandontdare

After 17 years of occupancy and on the final day of a month of refurbishment work, the workmen have decided that there may be asbestos in our hall floor after all, and have advised us not to spend the night in the flat. This is despite them carrying out an asbestos survey before the work started which gave us the all clear. Figure I'll take my life in my hands and risk it!

House of Usher

Well, there're different types of asbestos, aren't there? Some of it won't harm you if you just leave it alone and seal it in.

My back bedroom ceiling was done with artex, which contained asbestos back in the day. I chipped the spikes off with a trowel and got my plasterer to skim it over.

*cough*
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 11 February, 2010, 08:58:07 PM
Well, there're different types of asbestos, aren't there? Some of it won't harm you if you just leave it alone and seal it in.

My back bedroom ceiling was done with artex, which contained asbestos back in the day. I chipped the spikes off with a trowel and got my plasterer to skim it over.

*cough*

Its what you call blue asbestos that is the carcinogenic type that you usually find in industrial buildings or pipe lagging  and that kind of thing which is naturally very dusty/fibrous whereas the type that you come across in flat sheets in domestic situations is harmless even if you remove it yourself which i have done but councils dont discriminate.

Top tip for Artex removal: Providing it hasnt been painted with an oil based to paint is to use a wallpaper stripper on it.Hold the plate over the artex as you would with wallpaper and the steam penetrates the artex and softens it so you just scrape it off and because it is moist there is no dust.

Easy !!

Its vile stuff Artex especially when its combed where you get those half circles of concentric circles. :sick: or else in older houses its used to hide uneven or rough old plaster.I couldnt live with Artex as i hate it.Artex usually contains Gypsum as i havent ever heard of it containing asbestos.Vile shit whatever its made of.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

COMMANDO FORCES

I saw these in the London Dungeon and there were no Dredd ones, yes I'll buy any old tat. Someone make me a 2000AD collection of characters like these, NOW!