Main Menu

How to make inking enjoyable...?

Started by uncle fester, 15 May, 2009, 11:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

Balls, sorry to hear that Peter.

I tend to sketch in real pencil and do inks, colours etc on the computer due to far too many similar experiences...  The possibility of being able to experiment on digital art is also a blessing.

As to how to make inking interesting, listening to Adam & Joe on BBC radio 6 works for me.  *ink ink ink*
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

uncle fester

Peter, you could drop the dried-out version in to photoshop (or equivalent) when you've finished the rest of the piece. That way you can tidy up any smudges and mistakes, and save what sounds like a lot of work.

It's relatively easy to do. I should know, I've managed to make a mess of most of my previous entries at some stage or other!

It would be a shame to waste it, and I want to see pontilling in an Art Comp entry!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: uncle fester on 31 October, 2009, 11:32:10 AM
Peter, you could drop the dried-out version in to photoshop (or equivalent) when you've finished the rest of the piece. That way you can tidy up any smudges and mistakes, and save what sounds like a lot of work.

It's relatively easy to do. I should know, I've managed to make a mess of most of my previous entries at some stage or other!

It would be a shame to waste it, and I want to see pontilling in an Art Comp entry!

I scrapped it as i couldnt stand even looking at it but i shall beware of using pens in future especially if they are of the non drying ink variety which nearly all of them are.

The only alternative is to work from right to left which is because i am left handed.This is what i used to do when i did signwriting to aviod wrecking my own work.Theres no demand for signwriyting anymore because of stick on plastic lettering and all that kind of Shit.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mike Gloady

Very few stores that use that off-the-peg lettering for their signage look that inviting, the trade of signwriting as such may be dead, but design, branding and even (ooooh JIM!) lettering could have a lot to teach smaller businesses.  A good sign shows the business has pride in itself.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 31 October, 2009, 07:28:35 PM
Very few stores that use that off-the-peg lettering for their signage look that inviting, the trade of signwriting as such may be dead, but design, branding and even (ooooh JIM!) lettering could have a lot to teach smaller businesses.  A good sign shows the business has pride in itself.

It certainly does .I say its a dead trade but i dont bother doing any advertising saying that i do it either but there is probably a need for traditionally painted shop signs especially in London with more upmarket shops and pubs wanting traditionally painted shop signs.

Mike Gloady

A traditionally painted sign stands out a mile and has a certain cachet that those plastic things can never live up to.  Maybe a little advert is worth experimenting with?  Just to see if there's enough demand to make it worth your while?

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 31 October, 2009, 07:53:00 PM
A traditionally painted sign stands out a mile and has a certain cachet that those plastic things can never live up to.  Maybe a little advert is worth experimenting with?  Just to see if there's enough demand to make it worth your while?

Perhaps i should as there is probably hardly anyone doing it.Its lettering that i do as i never did any visuals but i would happily paint logos.

Handpainted shop signs definately look classy though.No question about it.

Fuck all of that peel-off and plastic lettering.Lazy cheap looking low class shite.

YUK.