Main Menu

Elite could be returning to a PC near you.

Started by Albion, 06 November, 2012, 07:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

I used to love playing this on the Spectrum. Now there is going to be a Kickstarter project to bring it back for the PC and possibly other platforms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20187897

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Jim_Campbell

Bah. All versions were inferior to the mighty BBC Micro original! Very nearly caused me to fail my O-levels, that did...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pauljholden

I find the kickstarter for this to be utterly baffling - a million and a quarter to get the thing kickstarted? Seriously, they could write a neat little ipad version for a fraction of a fraction of that, make a million and a quarter and then pour the money into a PC version.

OR, they could do the minecraft model - start small and expand. (Which, according to their website has now sold something like 8million at £16 each!)

-pj

Banners

For that kind of money they should be selling equity and giving shares.

Rog69

The (vastly superior) Spectrum version did the same for me too Jim :)

I would love a new Elite game, it's amazing how those guys crammed a complete universe into less memory that a .Jpeg uses these days. I thought David Braben was supposed to have been working on Elite 4 for some years now (in between being a bit of a dick about second hand games)?

Mark Taylor

If you want to relive the oringal Elite experience, albeit with much improved graphics and tons of (optional) extra contact in the form of community mods, look no further than http://www.oolite.org/

I love it.

TordelBack

Yes, I was about to suggest that too Mark.   What exactly is wrong with Oolite? 

Colin YNWA

My brother played this for hours... I on the other hand struggled to learnt to dock my ship... I've never been very good at computer games but this one burnt. It looked so bloody good but I was so rubbish at it.

Richmond Clements

Yeah, right up until you get a docking computer, it's hard work!

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 06 November, 2012, 12:01:27 PM
Yeah, right up until you get a docking computer, it's hard work!

There is no more horrible moment in gaming than when that precious Docking Computer gets blown up on some Tech Level 1 Anarchy like Riedquat, and you realise that in order to deliver those 40 tonnes of Computers you're going to have to remember how to dock the bloody ship yourself.

Frank

Being pish at Elite formed the intrinsic distrust of free markets and the arms industry that dwell within me to this day. Lousy rubber keyboard.

LARF

Quote from: pauljholden on 06 November, 2012, 08:40:28 AM
I find the kickstarter for this to be utterly baffling - a million and a quarter to get the thing kickstarted? Seriously, they could write a neat little ipad version for a fraction of a fraction of that

There is an iPad game that I play called Galaxy on Fire and very similar to Elite.

Can anyone remember Elite - Frontier? I used to play this on the Amiga 500, it was David Brabham's sequel to Elite. Also there are plenty of great online space trading games. Eve online is bloody awesome and addictive.

TordelBack

Quote from: LARF on 06 November, 2012, 12:17:06 PM
Can anyone remember Elite - Frontier? I used to play this on the Amiga 500, it was David Brabham's sequel to Elite.

That was the one where you could land on multicoloured polygons planets, yeah?  I played that one for ages, but never seemed to get anywhere.

Mark Taylor

Once you have your docking computer try to get in the habit of docking manually from time to time just to stay in practice. If you follow the manual docking procedure correctly with a bit of practice there is (almost) no chance of screwing it up. Just don't get impatient and try to go in too fast...

Judge Fish

I never could dock the damn ship worth a damn back in the day. Any time I did it was clearly more blind luck than actual skill.  :lol:

Ah, the days of wireframe graphics...

Bloop.