Main Menu

tracing phone numbers

Started by LARF, 24 August, 2006, 03:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

Had a dodgy call earlier tonight. Does anyone know how I can trace the legitimacy of an 0800 phone number?

Cheers

WoD

try it in google, etc.

Apart from that you could ring BT, but don't expect much help.  There's no reverse trace for the public in the UK (I think) not like the USA.

OldOne

Depends rather on what you mean by a dodgy call, but if it was a suspect sales call, you can put yourself on something called the Telephone Preference Service, which effectively makes it illegal for companies to cold-call you, and they get slapped with a big fine if they do.

This should mean (in theory, at least) that all 'legitimate' companies will take you off their records, and you can assume that any other calls are suspect.

Call the operator and ask for details of the TPS

Wils

Call the operator and ask for details of the TPS

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/" target="_blank">Or follow this link

Emperor

I'd also recommend looking into Anonymous Call Rejection (BT, Telewest and NTL offer it). There are numerous weaselly ways around the TPS (if you filled in a competition 5 years ago and they sold it to someone who sold it someone else then they could claim you sort of possibly agreed). ACR cuts off most of the UK phonecalls.

I was getting over a dozen a day (at least half of the silent variety) and it cut them right down. Now its back up to about 5 a day as they are switching to off shore call centres which are unblockable and outside of the main restrictions (sort of possibly - test it in a court of law).

If it was really really dodgy then phone the police.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

IndigoPrime

:: makes it illegal for companies to cold-call you, and they
:: get slapped with a big fine if they do.

Good luck with that. We're on the TPS, and although it's slowed the number of cold-calls we get, it's definitely not stopped them entirely. (However, a mention of the TPS always stops the caller in their tracks.)

Mrs matthewvic

The silent calls are caused by companies with the big auto diallers, when there are not enough operators to get to the call in time for you to answer then you get the silent treatment. Of course until their computer clears the call your always left unable to use your line. I know that there is a number for the Silent Call Guard Service - I've attached a link for you.

Link: http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/news2.html" target="_blank">Silent Call Guard

Satanist

I'm on TPS and when I still get a call I fall back on my old "Why dont you just fucking kill yourself" and then hang up.

works a treat!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

I'm on TPS and when I still get a call I fall back on my old "Why dont you just fucking kill yourself" and then hang up.

You have to be careful with that. Over the past month I've been needlessly hostile to someone from the bank and someone asking me if I wanted to come for a job interview. Oops.

There's always the old classics like pretend to be squeezing out a titanic stool or say you're just in robbing the place.
We never really die.