Main Menu

Who's signature?

Started by ultraniblet, 20 June, 2007, 11:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultraniblet

Ah well good to know it's probably genuine. I guess it's easy to overlook signatures in amongst artwork. It sounds like you have a big collection of signed annuals - do you sell them? If so, how much?

Buddy

That's deffo Alan Moore. He signed an issue of Watchmen for me ages ago at UKCAC.

I can also confirm that is Mr Rufus Dayglo.

+rufus+

Hey are you Rufus Dayglo?

Yes sir.. I am.

:-) Rufus

ultraniblet

Thanks for the signature confirmation Mr Umpty - phew signed Watchmen, we like!

Hi Rufus, I met you at that 2000AD exhibition in Covent Garden a year back. Nice work on Artdroids!

OldOne

I had a nice surprise like this a few years back at a comic shop in Brighton- bought the old Titan imprint of Halo Jones Book One, and while I was still at the till (but had paid) found it was signed by Moore and Gibson, wherupon the shop offered to buy it back from me for double the price. I declined their offer!

ultraniblet

If they offered you double it figures they would resell it at 4x the price or more :-) I don't like the feeling of ripping someone off, particularly at a car boot sale (the lady was really friendly), but if they havn't even looked in it I guess it can't mean that much to them.

OldOne

No, I think you can rest easy there, it's not reallt ripping anyone off- it's just jolly good luck, and an awesome find! Well done, you!

Jim_Campbell

Yep, I can confirm that looks like a genuine Moore, too. I have several issues of Swamp Thing, Watchmen, and Halo Jones-era 2K with Mr Moore's signature on 'em, and this one looks legit.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ultraniblet

Cheers Jim, wow sounds like you have a decent collection ... so do you think people try to fake this kind of stuff?

Jim_Campbell

"Cheers Jim, wow sounds like you have a decent collection ... so do you think people try to fake this kind of stuff?"

Heh ... back in the day, Moore used to regularly do signings at comic shops and I ambushed him a couple of times with a big-assed fistful of comics.

As I've said on a couple of other Moore-related threads (particularly the creator rights ones, where it's been suggested I'm somewhat anti-Moore), I have an enormous affection for the man, who never responded to any daft question, request for signatures, or sketches of Maxwell the Magic Cat with anything other than good-natured wit and charm.

... And I would be very surprised if anyone thought it was worthwhile faking comic creators' signatures!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

paulvonscott

That signiature is the same as the one on my annual.  I'd say it was real.  Dude, you've touched the same book as Alan moore did...

"I had a nice surprise like this a few years back at a comic shop in Brighton- bought the old Titan imprint of Halo Jones Book One, and while I was still at the till (but had paid) found it was signed by Moore and Gibson, wherupon the shop offered to buy it back from me for double the price. I declined their offer!"

Heh, nice one!

Judge Merlin

The Bryan Talbot one looks genuine I have loads of stuff signed by him. (recently Alice In Sunderland)

ultraniblet

Cheers Judge,

I really want to get hold of Luther Arkwright & also  Alice in Sunderland. Do you know where the best place to buy The Adventures of Luther Arkwright is?

Large48

The only one that looks a bit dodgy is Ian's but he was probably flying at the time..... ;-)
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Judge Merlin

I got my Luther Book from Bryan himself at the comic con in Lancaster last year.

I think you can buy it from his website but I'm not 100% sure.

As for Alice I'd try your local Waterstones as the last time I was in there were loads on the shelf.