Main Menu

Mysterious Quirks #1

Started by 2000AD Online, 14 February, 2002, 02:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

Until the advent of Steve Dillon, no artist had ever drawn Judge Dredd's eagle shoulder-pad face on.

nathan

Interesting, Mr Whit. Is this based on your own observations or did you read it somewhere (if so where?)

Always liked Steve Dillon's contribution to Block Mania.

N

2000AD Online

Just something I noticed. I'm not sure if it was some on-going private joke between McMahon, Gibson, Bolland, et al that Steve wasn't privy to, but they all seemed to go out of their way to avoid drawing that damned eagle head face on.

Azrael

Steve Dillon....Tyranny Rex, ah the good old days, then she shacked up with a Panda Nun and got into some bad habits

nathan

Well, you 've really done it now, Mr Whit. You've made me pull Titan Books' old Block Mania album off the shelf.

Following on from what you said about the eagle shoulder pad, I see Dillon draws it with the beak open. Not a particularly earth-shattering observation I know, but it's very effective in the panel where poor old Giant is shot in the back. It looks like the eagle is crying out in pain with him.

I can't look at Block Mania without revisiting the first two episodes by McMahon. I seriously think that is the best Dredd art I've ever seen. Makes me want to cry just loking at it. Anyone got a spare D-jump? Take me to a parallel dimension where McMahon drew all of Block Mania!

N