Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

When I googled Ben Shapiro (never heard of him before) I noticed that the entry on the side of the page lists he only has one parent, David. So it's probably safe to bet he's a botched clone of said David.

Tjm86

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 February, 2018, 04:09:29 PM
Made me realise how easygoing my school was; even though many of our teachers hadn't quite got used to the fact that corporal punishment was banned.

.. it was banned?  No one told my head or the staff.  In fact, no one told them how to treat their students with anything approaching to humanity.  Spare the rod, spoil the child = knock the shit out of the little bastard.

TordelBack

I reckon that the quality of drama on telly/streaming services nowadays simply towers over all but the most exceptional programmes of my youth. There are shows I venerate,  like Edge of Darkness,  I, Claudius, Blake's 7, Day of the Triffids,  A Very British Coup, Robin of Sherwood,  HHGttG,  Hill Street Blues etc,  but really these were islands in a sea of Hart to Hart, V The Series, Littlest Hobo,  Upstairs Downstairs, Land of the Giants and Little House on the Prarie.

And yet all I seem to see is constant griping about 'lazy storytelling' and 'reliance on tired tropes'.  Has everyone gone mad? I could genuinely watch unbelievably compelling, frequently original, telly every minute for a week and not come close to catching up with all the things I want to watch. This is the golden age of small-screen drama.

JamesC

How could anyone possibly have a bad word to say about The Littlest Hobo?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

There was a show.You liked it as a kid,it was awesome.Later on,you decided to revisit it.You torrent the whole thing (because ofc,there are no DVDs of it)...and you couldnt make it thru two episodes.Sounds familar? :)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 February, 2018, 08:49:05 PM
And yet all I seem to see is constant griping about 'lazy storytelling' and 'reliance on tired tropes'.  Has everyone gone mad?

Pretty much; even sticking with the new 'mainstream', the last season just gone of Game of Thrones is better than almost all of what we watched in our misspent youth yet there's still so much griping. Having said that, there's still quite a staggering amount of rarely seen treasures of telly produced over the last 5 or 6 decades –previously lost/locked up in vaults/aired only once– that can be mined for years if one can be bothered to look.

JamesC

There's some fantastic TV out there at the moment but much of it is on subscription services.
Prime time BBC1 and ITV have never been worse in my opinion. It's almost like a world beyond soaps, detectives and hospital dramas doesn't exist. Even the really good stuff that the BBC produces seems to be viewed as niche and chucked onto the BBC2 mid week 10 o'clock slot. I think things like Upstart Crow and Inside No.9 should be on at 9 o'clock on BBC1 (where they'll often put a repeat of a panel show on. Madness).

Smith

In the last decade or so,things got turned upside down.TV became smart and innovative and movies became dumb and by the numbers.

Link Prime

I never could bring myself to post in The Political Thread, but if I could right now it would be this image.

Tjm86

JayzusB.Christ

The snow is going to be like it was in 1982, which is one of my best childhood memories.  Not so much fun when you're painting Paddy's Day murals the outside of a restaurant and being a Vikings extra in the Wicklow mountains.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Not much fun when you're up a ladder lopping trees, either. Brrr.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Nice to see you're up and about after your recent hospital spell, though.

Oddly enough my mother suffered exactly the same kind of mini-stroke on Saturday; she's fine now and I told her about your recovery to give her a bit of encouragement.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, JBC, I appreciate it. People keep asking me how I feel. I spark up a fag, smile and say, "Oh, you know. I'm still alive - which is always a bonus." It sure is a bonus - biggest one there is, I guess. The only question is whether I'm going to focus on how I'm going to live or how long I'm going to live.

Tell your Mum I wish her well and to keep some lemon and ginger tea (preferably Twinings) in the cupboard in case I drop in - us sexy survivors gotta stick together!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]