Main Menu

Sinister Dexter

Started by AlexF, 23 November, 2010, 12:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Sin Dex has picked up a bit with this latest series, I think because Abnett has pulled back a bit from the main characters to bring in the police and the city as a whole.

But I'm left puzzled by one thing:

Why exactly do Sinister and Dexter want Moses Tanenbaum not to be mayor so badly? I understand that they hate him as an individual, but surely as a gang boss he's much like any other - maybe a bit meaner, but no less likely to keep the gun shark business booming. I think I've never really got how the politics of Downlode work, and while this used to not matter when the strip was just guns 'n puns and rotating artists, now I feel like I'm supposed to care, but I just don't.

Loaded sumo

I thought it was something to do with that he could make that Mangapore war thingy go down in a more ligitimate manner, but, it's lost me a little as well.

Dandontdare

I assume it's because they bumped off the original Moses and are woried that the clone or the doppleganger would harbbour some resentment. My problem is I can never remember which one is the Mover and which one is Appelido - the clone or parallel Moses, and which one is running for mayor.

Taryn Tailz

Having only read the latest two Sin/Dex strips could someone please tell me who Tanenbaum is (I know hes the bald fat guy but not who he actually is) and what happened in this Doppelverse please?

Dandontdare

Waaaay back in the early days, the top mob boss in Downlode was "Holy Moses" Tannenbaum, and sinister & dexter were often employed by him. However when his wife, nightclub singer Demi Octavo, decided to take over, she got S/D to bump him off. Her rule didn't last long though, as she herself was killed, leading to a serious downturn in the fortunes of our heroes.

Sometime later a new player came on the scene trying to take control called Appelido - who turned out to be a clone of Moses Tanenebaum. And then yet another wannabe kingpin arrived calling himself 'the Mover' - cue gang war.

Turns out the mover was actually Moses from a parallel universe, who then began bringing over alternate versions of downlode characters such as John Croak (Finny's old mentor), steampunk Willy and Philly O'Fisch - all of whom had been killed in this universe (usually by our heroes!). There's even a new Demi Octavo running around.

All of which led us up to the current "War of the Moses" (nobody does cool puns like the Abnett droid!)

Hope that helps!

Taryn Tailz

Thank you DandontDare.:D

I'm sure I will enjoy Sin/Dex a lot more now I know some of the backstory.

Proudhuff

oh just end it and get some new thrills... More Gene the Hackman for example!!
DDT did a job on me

BPP

Sin/Dex has been firing of late - for the first time since the classic Simon Davis era the election campaign was the first story i'd wished had gone on alot longer (sure the main story is clearly tbc but the whole campaign could have had alot of legs in it).

Its a real shame the trades don't seem to do well enough to keep it up to date'ish like Dante. Its a thrill that really rewards attention with the long-term story arcs and the multiple characters. Maybe the stuff post-Malone could go into floppies that would help people catch-up?

As for the original question  - two main simple reasons - they whacked the original Tanenbaum AND they seem opposed to anyone from the Alt-verse as a matter of principle. Not unreasonably.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

maryanddavid

I am a Sin Dex fan, but of late I am a bit puzzeled as to whats happening, I think thats where lack of reprints of this material hurts the story.  Its one of the few stories that hasnt been collected to death and its to it detriment that it hasent.

David

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 December, 2010, 07:03:02 PM
All of which led us up to the current "War of the Moses" (nobody does cool puns like the Abnett droid!)

Agreed, but I believe the credit for that one belongs to a poster on this horrid, horrid forum.

Great synopsis DDD.  Oi Tharg, bloke 'ere has some copy for your Nerve Centre.

Sinister Dexter:  in ten years it's gone from one of the reasons I dropped 2000AD in the '90s to the strip I want to see in every Prog.  Fair play boys.

SmallBlueThing

Too right tordleback. It seems some people have been mingeing on about sinister dexter since the very first episode. For me it's the very best thing tharg put in his pages after his initial spurt of genius character-creation, and following that time when the best he could come up with was kola fucking commandos and that thing about the guy in the wheelchair. Sinister Dexter is as synonymous with 2000AD as Dredd, Slaine or Rogue.
SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: maryanddavid on 09 December, 2010, 10:35:05 PM
I think thats where lack of reprints of this material hurts the story.  Its one of the few stories that hasnt been collected to death and its to it detriment that it hasent.

David

Yeah I agree with that, shame they didn't sell well enough to justify a series like the Dante trades. Likewise the intermittent scheduling for such a convoluted story line, for whatever reasonjs, can't have helped.

Still all that said like Tordelback I always want to see Sinister Dexter in the Prog and I do think the start of the latest story did something to address the much needed recap.