Main Menu

Anyone want to discuss comix in general?

Started by death monkey 23, 12 November, 2001, 01:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

death monkey 23

YO.  I am DEATH MONKEY #23 and inasmuch as comix go I am into OUTLAW NATION, 2000AD (as of recently) SANDMAN, AMERICAN CENTURY (I got collection 1 recently and I dug it).  Also I quite like US WAR MACHINE, although the satire is rendered redundant after the 'unimaginably unimaginable' recent events that no doubt will be remembered amongst us all for as long as, er, 19 months.
I wanna hear from YOU
Also what about MUSIC, man.  I like Radiohead, System of a down, Primal Scream, Ministry (metal band), Butthole Surfers etc.
I am 14 so please present prejudice in your postings where necessary.

Thread Zero

Listen Monkey boy,

Go back to the jungle!

Or hello how are you?

You are too young to read 2000AD. If you read the small print at the bottom of the nerve center it says it is illegal for under 16's to read it.

Fact.

Sorry about that.

scojo

death monkey 23

It does f***ing not!  Please give me a proper reply next time.  what sort of name is scojo anyway

Mk13

Please excuse Scojo - he's overdue his next Ritalin shot...

Nice to see a 2000 AD reader round here who wasn't born when the mag started. Out of interest, what do you think of the stuff that's in the mag these days (most of us here grew up with 2K so we have a slightly different perspective)?

Cheers

Mk13
2000 AD.

Thread Zero

I knew he would fall for it.

Some people eh!

hee hee

scojo whose middle name is johanna

fraston

Yo backatchya

I am fraston, lord of the scottish glen. No, really...
comics: 2000ad for past 3 years, any mainstream richard corben ie "banner" or Hellblazer, kinda curious about all this milligan and morrison x-people stuff, and i dig charles burns. who? yeah, like anyone HERE is gonna know that name....

i am as old as the wind so please don't light any matches m'kay?

Fraston

fraston

Really? i thought yer middle name rhymed with hat....

fraston

O Lucky Stevie!

i was of the understanding that ministry were indusrial

steven lenfant terrible
(who's spent the past decade as a music journalist)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mk13

>i was of the understanding that ministry were indusrial

Speaking with my Ministry fanboy hat on (it's the one with the propellor), for about three albums they were, but the last two we out-and-out metal.

Give the kid a break- he must have been about two when Ministry's last 'industrial' album came out (which is a scary concept).

Mk13
(Who has also much experience in filling the pages of our nation's esteemed musical publications with ill-informed opinionated wibble)

O Lucky Stevie!

no offence meant to death monkey, but the lad asked us to "please present prejudice in your postings.";)

great to have someone here who isn't creaking, "when i was a lad we used to have to walk 20 mile for a prog, the race home for a thrashing before all the letrtone smudged into incomprehensibility, aye..."

steven lenfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

ps, never understood the 2000ad?metal association meself (other than simon bisley's obvious love of the genre; nice to see ashley woods paint someone wearing a glide t-shirt in the megazine, i first encountered his work in an australian fanzine i bought for the club hoy interview).

steven lenfant terrible

O Lucky Stevie!

oh, before i go, regarding death monkey liking radiohead, what's the general consensus on their last two albums?

i personal found them the most engaging of their body of work, with 'kid a' the stronger of these two. if you dig these, death monkey, make sure that you check out out autechre. nice place for you to start with the wonderful world of electronica, then move one to the german glitch stuff.

glad you like primal scream, top bloke that bobby g.

cheers,

steven lenfant terrible

Thread Zero

2k has had a punk following since the late 70's or so rumour goes.

I think Dredd in particular appeals to some in the heavy metal fraternity. Something of a hero to them.

I am the law by Anthrax, the thrash metal group (not the disease!) is an example.

Maybe heavy metal music suits Dredd's never ending pursuit of criminality. Relentless. Like that music!

I personally think the Prodigy's Breathe (I think that is the title) is the perfect Dredd theme.

scojo twisted fire starter pop critic

death monkey 23

I have read quite a lot of Dredd collections, but only started getting AD recently.  I reckon Durham Red is bollocks, but most of the other stuff seems at least good.  Except Killer.

That's crap.

death monkey 23

Curious about Morrison?  Read the Invisibles!
It is the maddest epic story of wicked adventure.  If I were you I would get the collections from libraries, startin with

SAY YOU WANT A REVOLUTION

Don't be alienated by this first one as it's a bit weird and confusing.  Come to think of it...