Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

2000AD and Tornado Prog 172: "Anything to report, Lopez?"

Are you ready to have nightmares?  I know some people did, after viewing the Jigsaw Disease!

TordelBack

Re: Bolland's distorted Dredd and Hershey.  I used to use a negative enlarger* to distort photos in the X and Y, and I'd imagine you could do it with an overhead projector too?

*Used to print my own photos.

M.I.K.

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 January, 2020, 08:59:56 PM
Re: Bolland's distorted Dredd and Hershey.  I used to use a negative enlarger* to distort photos in the X and Y, and I'd imagine you could do it with an overhead projector too?

You could also distort things in all kinds of weird ways with a photocopier by slowly moving the original picture around on the top as it was copying.

sheridan

Quote from: M.I.K. on 12 January, 2020, 09:51:33 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 12 January, 2020, 08:59:56 PM

You could also distort things in all kinds of weird ways with a photocopier by slowly moving the original picture around on the top as it was copying.

I've certainly seen the latter in the prog (off the top of my head I think the Golgotha Plains in the first series of Bad Company uses that method).

I've tried to find examples of pictures which have been through a negative enlarger (sorry, never heard of such a piece of equipment before today!) but could only find diagrams of how the things work!

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 13 January, 2020, 12:38:19 AM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 12 January, 2020, 09:51:33 PM

I've certainly seen the latter in the prog (off the top of my head I think the Golgotha Plains in the first series of Bad Company uses that method).

p.s. I'm sure most people who have worked in an office and been impatient to get their photocopy have seen first-hand examples of the distorted photocopier method :)

TordelBack

I'm sure you're probably right, but my thought was that the photocopier method (beloved of various zines I worked on!) wasn't precise enough for what Bolland does. An enlarger allows you to stretch your pic precisely the way you want it, just like pulling the handles of a digital image today. They were ubiquitous kit for anyone with an interest in photography in the pre-digital age.

SpaceSpinner2000

Yeah, I think Bolland had some kind of image projector he could use to base linework off of. We've seen it in action in the prog before, like in the celebrity cameos in Prog 52.
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Funt Solo

Mention of which makes me think of this (which I have on a paper bag from when I was a young lad):

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

sheridan

Interesting looking at that Brian Bolland piece - is that the picture of Debbie Harry which inspired the look of Anderson?

norton canes

Quote from: sheridan on 13 January, 2020, 11:21:33 AM
Interesting looking at that Brian Bolland piece - is that the picture of Debbie Harry which inspired the look of Anderson?

Debbie Harry? Or Deirdre Vine?

sheridan

Quote from: norton canes on 14 January, 2020, 01:08:18 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 13 January, 2020, 11:21:33 AM

Debbie Harry? Or Deirdre Vine?

I did have it in the back of my mind that Anderson wasn't based on Debbie Harry, though my wording completely failed to convey any sense of "this is Bolland drawing Debbie Harry - does that look like Anderson to you?".  Lucky I don't write regularly, eh?

sheridan

I missed yesterday because I've got through to the 1981 annuals.  I foreseeing that the next few days may be prone to delays as i trudge through two of the remaining annuals (the Judge Dredd one should be much easier).

2000AD Annual 1981

sheridan

I added a few bits to the 2000AD annual review, nothing major.

Today is the Judge Dredd Annual 1981: 2000 A.D.'s top sci-fi hero bursts into action!

I'd try to put something witty and concise here, but after seven (?) assorted 2000AD, Dan Dare, Starlord and Tornado annuals, perhaps it's best if this decent annual without reprinted stories speak for itself.