Main Menu

3d Dredd bust

Started by antodonnell, 16 June, 2010, 10:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antodonnell

Hi all, I'm still doodling away but this week I have been overcome with the urge to do a 3d Dredd model. Here is the 1st 5 hours of work. I'm still blocking it out and deciding what elements to incorporate from the many great Dredd styles that exist. Is the helmet tapered ? Do I do a curved back badge or flat vertical ? Is Dredd's chin realistic or stylized ? It goes on and on.

Either way I'll post the progress here.

Spaceghost

That is awesome.

If you don't mind a tiny bit of constructive criticism, the eye holes are way too high. I think they need to be placed much lower down with the upside down 'V' almost at the very bottom.

Other than that, fantastic. You've got the chin and mouth spot on.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

antodonnell

Hi,

Fire away with the criticism. That's why I posted here you guys know Dredd the best :)

I'll adjust the red trim to make the eye holes smaller. I have been checking from the characters POV in Maya if the upside down V or red trim would affect line of sight. I have always wondered how some artists Dredd's see.

I was between Kev walkers and Jim Murray's Dredd with a dash of Bolland last night.
Kev's newer version has more visor.

http://www.2000ad.org/artwork/dredd_kw.jpg

As opposed to Greg Staples one. Both artists are amazing. My goal is to come out with my version in the end

http://www.2000ad.org/images/wallpaper/dreddshout_1024.jpg

Spaceghost

I don't think you need to make the eye holes any smaller, just lower. I think you're right, Dredd probably wouldn't be able to see out of his helmet, it's more artistic license than practical design.

The way I justify it to myself in a fanboy style is that the red portion around the eyes is transparent from inside but that's just my own theory.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

johnnystress

Looking really good

But yeah, the inverted V shape is to protect the bridge of his nose so it needs to be lowered a little

Great stuff so far though

Emperor

Quote from: spaceghost on 17 June, 2010, 09:47:12 AM
I don't think you need to make the eye holes any smaller, just lower.

Indeed - if you look at Dredd, the lower quadrant of the X is generally placed so it frames the end of the nose (as johnnystress says the X and the parts of the helmet above the middle of the cross are on the bridge of the nose) and the lowest corner of the bottom "legs" of the X fall into the clear area at the edge of the visor.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

antodonnell

I've managed to steal a couple of hours from today to work on this. I have made a lot of the changes mentioned above on the helmet. The bottom of the "X" is still a little high though. I might leave it.Unless the overall vote is needs more moving down.

The body, badge and face/chin are still a wip. I went for the Cliff Robinson style shoulder pad to be a bit different  ;)

Emperor

Quote from: antodonnell on 25 July, 2010, 10:33:18 PMThe bottom of the "X" is still a little high though. I might leave it.Unless the overall vote is needs more moving down.

It needs moving down ;)

You didn't think we'd let you get away so easily did you? ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

CrazyFoxMachine

Aye the helmX needs move down - to cover the bridge of the nose - and the badge needs to be bigger. The rest looks DARN SWANKY though. Looking forward to see the textur'd render.

TordelBack

Bolland sometimes drew the visor that high up, particularly in profile, around about Day the Law Died.

antodonnell

All the above points are true :) I'll probably move it down more. I went through a lot ofback progs and GN's. I have found as many artists who have the X higher than lower. I guess it's one of those subjective things. What I see now is the shoulder pad needs bulking up to work better. Seems a bit weak for the man himself.

Mike Carroll

Quote from: antodonnell on 26 July, 2010, 11:22:45 PM
I have found as many artists who have the X higher than lower. I guess it's one of those subjective things.

Exactly the conclusion I reached when I was creating my own 3D Dredd - input and feedback from the other fine members of this board helps, but ultimately you have to just do what feels right to you!

One thing I discovered along the way was that if the helmet is sculpted around a normal-proportioned head, it looks too big. I tend to chop off the top and back of the head - and the ears, so that they don't stick out through the sides of the helmet!

I've also found that, for aesthetic reasons, it's often necessary to adjust the scale of the helmet for each pose!

But I do like what you've got so far - can't wait to see the finished version!

-- Mike
My Judge helmet

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 27 July, 2010, 10:35:55 AMI tend to chop off the top and back of the head - and the ears, so that they don't stick out through the sides of the helmet!

Wow, I know the Academy of Law is "the toughest school on earth", but that's HARSH!  :D

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 July, 2010, 11:38:52 AM
Quote from: Mike Carroll on 27 July, 2010, 10:35:55 AMI tend to chop off the top and back of the head - and the ears, so that they don't stick out through the sides of the helmet!

Wow, I know the Academy of Law is "the toughest school on earth", but that's HARSH!  :D

See, that's Dredd's secret: it's not that he doesn't take off his helmet, it's that he can't.