Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Read Batman: Death in the Family today. I like Jim Starlin and all but this was pretty hokey, spesh when The Joker becomes the Iranian Ambassador.

Also read JLA: Rock of Ages in the deluxe GM volumes today and its pretty much THE MOST AWESOME COMIC EVER.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Richmond Clements

QuoteTransition", the latest Iain Banks novel turned up today

That's next on my list... can't bloody wait!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 15 September, 2009, 10:56:34 PM
Also read JLA: Rock of Ages in the deluxe GM volumes today and its pretty much THE MOST AWESOME COMIC EVER.
Is that the one where Batman has a seven year battle of wills with Darkseid's head torturer? If so, it is pretty awesome.
We never really die.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Kerrin on 15 September, 2009, 06:20:26 PM
"Transition", the latest Iain Banks novel turned up today,

Nice one! Let me know how you go. Stevie was eyeing that particular minx in Dymocks but the latest Egan anthology Oceanic in trade as well as Ian McDonald's River of gods & Strossy's Saturns children both in paperback were enough for one visit
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Peter Wolf

I explored the somewhat limited selection of comic material in the library today so i will start working my way through them.

There is a hardback collected edition of Shakara and Charlies War for starters .

I am also 2 thirds of the way through From Hell.

Not to mention Church Archeology [English Heritage] and Understanding Small Period Houses by Amanda Laws but no one will want to know about that here.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Kerrin

Quote from: steven lenfant terrible on 16 September, 2009, 01:24:45 AM
Quote from: Kerrin on 15 September, 2009, 06:20:26 PM
"Transition", the latest Iain Banks novel turned up today,

Nice one! Let me know how you go. Stevie was eyeing that particular minx in Dymocks but the latest Egan anthology Oceanic in trade as well as Ian McDonald's River of gods & Strossy's Saturns children both in paperback were enough for one visit

'River of Gods' and 'Saturns children' are both excellent reads, I keep nearly buying Ian McDonald's 'Brasyl' as well, he's a great writer. I've just noticed, while looking at amazon to remind myself how to spell 'brasyl', that he's got a collection of short stories set in his future Indian scenario, 'Cyberabad Days', out as well, cool, another one for the list.

'Transition' has started very satisfactorily.

Delingpole

Home book: Iain M Banks - Inversions
Work book: Stephen E. Ambrose - D-Day

Recently read the excellent "Coward at the Bridge" - a WWII adventure set at Arnhem, by someone called James Delingpole.

No relation.

Honest.

Buddy

Quote from: PeterWolf on 16 September, 2009, 01:45:12 AM
I explored the somewhat limited selection of comic material in the library today so i will start working my way through them.

There is a hardback collected edition of Shakara and Charlies War for starters .

I am also 2 thirds of the way through From Hell.

Not to mention Church Archeology [English Heritage] and Understanding Small Period Houses by Amanda Laws but no one will want to know about that here.

My local library has just had a massive revamp (it's now about 4 times the original size) and I had a scoot through it recently for GN's but couldn't find any.

So here is my question... what section would I find the Graphic Novels under. If I asked the librarian 'where are the graphic novels' would I get funny looks or directions to collected volumes of my fave comics??

TordelBack

I find Comics are usually under the Applied Arts section, near sculpture, posters and ceramics (somewhere about 741 under the Dewey Decimal system).  However, a lot of libraries segregate the actual GNs from the 'how to draw comics' and 'history of comics' stuff, and stick them in the Teenage/Young Adult section of the library.  I still wince when I see Walking Dead, Preacher and Joe Matt sharing a shelf with Peanuts, Garfield and Tintin.

To save embarrassment your library probably has an online catalogue that you can browse from the safety of your own home.  Just try keyword or author searching for the big names.

I, Cosh

They're always on a separate shelf in the Teen section in Glasgow libraries.

Who actually uses the "Teen"section? It's the last place I'd have looked for anything hen I was one.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

In Manchester they've recently acquired their own racks (there are lots of lovely comic fans in the buying dept obviously!), but before this they were split between the Sci-fi and children/young adult section (often at random with no regard to content: "would little Jimmy like Spongebob or Preacher today?")

dweezil2

Just purchased Ennis' 6 issue Punisher War Zone mini-series, for the ludicrous sum of £1.21, of Ebay, so I'm really looking forward to ploughing through them. A nice bundle of The Boy's back issues turned up today also! What recession?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Richmond Clements

Just finished reading Lost Girls for the first time.
I'm not sure exactly what I expected of it, but I don't think that this was it!
It was a surprisingly funny book, which for some reason was something I wasn't expecting.
There are some interesting themes raised throughout. I say 'raised' rather then 'dealt with' as Moore just throws them out and then doesn't carry them to any sort of conclusion.
Still, it's a good book.

Hoagy

The Society Of Others by the writer of Gladiator... yep, Gladiator. William Nicholson, I think off memory. Its a kind of Catcher in the Rye/Kafkaian mish mash. Not as good as either, how does the Mighty Boosh song go... Taking elements of the past an Elements of the future an creating samfin thats half as good!!Ha!
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Tiplodocus

QuoteWork book: Stephen E. Ambrose - D-Day

I like the "I'm a destroyer man!" bit on Omaha.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - was fresh off reading BAND OF BROTHERS. I know his style isn't everyone's cup of tea* but I like Cornelius Ryan so I'm probably wrong about that as well.

I think he balances the righteousness of cause, the honour of the men doing the fighting and the ass-hattery of the men giving the orders just nicely.

* A cup of tea is, of course, what the British Troops stop for every ten minutes while letting our American cousins get slaughtered.  There's a bit of this you need to ignore as well. Or read his rather excellent PEGASUS BRIDGE - which is about the British Glider Commandos. He keeps his admiration for them up throughout (but then manages to throw in afew "Bloody Brits, didn't know what a good thing they had" in the last few pages.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!