Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I think someone mentioned this before but I've just finished reading 'Showcase Presents: Batlash' and its absolutely superb. I mean really classic stuff. I've really enjoyed the stuff I've read with him before and loved this great character but to read all this original appearances in one book is a joy. Oh oh oh and that Nick Cardy art simply beautiful, beautiful (and you get some Don Speigle and George Moliterni to boot).

One of DCs true undervalued classics much as I love Jonah Hex I do wish if DC was going to go for one Western character it'd be Bat Lash

Mattofthespurs

"Deliverance" by James Dickey...Again.  :)

COMMANDO FORCES

I won't be reading this even though it's the latest in the 'Horus Heresy' series, I shall be listening to it tonight, at work.
Raven's Flight by Gav Thorpe and read by Toby Longworth is the latest installment in the series but it's an audio CD (75mins).
Here's the synopsis:-
After the horrors of the Dropsite Massacre, Corax and his mighty Raven Guard face a desperate struggle to survive in the caves and mountains of Isstvan V. Escape from the roaming Chaos Legions seems impossible.
Meanwhile Colonel Valerius of the Imperial army begins suffering horrific dreams, believing teh Raven Guard to be in trouble - are such nightmares enough to initiate a daring rescue?
The decimated Legion must hold out against the forces of the World Eaters long enough to reach an improbable salvation and escape this hostile world.

Death to the Chaos Legions and The Emperor Protects :D

P.S. I hate it when the word decimate/decimated is used incorrectly, don't you?

IAMTHESYSTEM

Ah the Horus Heresy is great stuff. Just re-read the series up to 'Fallen Angels.' Can't wait for 'Raven's Flight'
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Roger Godpleton

Finished Zola's The Kill. Very nearly entered the estemeed canon of books what I tugged off to.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Christov

TordelBack

QuoteVery nearly entered the estemeed canon of books what I tugged off to.

It'll look pretty out of place next to all those Hardy Boys.

Mike Gloady

I have a cannon I tug off with if that helps.

Tucking into Nikolai Dante: Amerika later today.  All a-tingle as it's stuff I've already read (a first in the Dante trades since book 5) and I already know it's amazing.  Be nice to read it all together though.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Mikey

Working through Brain Aldiss' 'A science fiction omnibus' and there are some crackers alright! I'd never read 'Nighfall' by Asimov for example and a brilliant one pager called 'Answer' by Frederic Brown that would be a great future shock...

...but it also contains this - the opening paragraph from Kim Robinson's story 'Sexual Dimorphism'

"The potential for hallucination in paleogenomics was high. There was not only the omnipresent role of instrumentation in the envisioning of the ultramicroscopic fossil material, but also the metamorphosis over time of the material itself, both the DNA and it's matrices, so that data were invariably incomplete, and often shattered. Thus the possibility of pyschological projection of patterns onto the rorschacherie of what in the end might be purely mineral processes had to be admitted."

Mine eyes! That, in my opinion, is a great big stinker and no mistake. Did he not read it out loud first?

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

QuoteThat, in my opinion, is a great big stinker and no mistake. Did he not read it out loud first?
Kim Stanley Robinson doesn't write, he regurgitates, and  the more you read of him the more obvious this becomes.  Sometimes the stuff he regurgitates is interesting.   Sometimes it's just puke.

I'm trying to imagine discovering Asimov's Nightfall for the first time.  What a treat!  It's hard to overemphasise just how good Asimov really was.

Mikey

Yeah, nicely put TB. I've liked much of Robinson's stuff, but that was like pulling teeth to read.

And with Asimov, I've only ever read the Robot stories and wasn't too keen to be honest - that story has revised my opinion.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

M.I.K.

Rorschacherie isn't even a word.

Roger Godpleton

Huysmans' Against Nature which I'm not getting along with. It kinda feels a bit like a precursor to a faux-literary inane twitter feed where J.K talks about whatever he saw earlier today.

Started a re-read of V. Hilarious. Pynchon is a genius.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Goatilocks

Re-reading some of my old Warren EERIE & CREEPY magazines from the 1970's. Particularly enjoything EERIE # 59, featuring Dax the Damned, a darkly depressing sword 'n sorcery romp:

http://bronzeageofblogs.blogspot.com/2010/01/dax-damned.html

House of Usher

Been reading the House of Secrets Showcase #2. It's a bit crap, like reading the same story over and over again for 500 pages. I think most enthusiasts are mostly enthusiastic about the Nestor Redondo, Alfredo Alcala and Bernie Wrightson artwork.

Also I've been wading through the 3 months' worth of American comics that built up with my friendly neighbourhood comics stallholder in the time I was unable to get into town during my lunchbreak. Bunch of Savage Dragon, bunch of Invincible. Just getting started on the backlog of The Boys.

I envy Godpleton his reading matter, which sounds much more intellectually nourishing.
STRIKE !!!