Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

I've finished reading Beverly Nichols' meagre and badly written memoir of the 1920s and have gone back to reading Gavin Baddely's Goth Chic again. There was a mention of Robert E. Howard's Pigeons from Hell that once again made me want to know more.

Also reading Shakespeare's Julius Caesar for a tutoring client. If enough bits and bobs of freelance work stack up I may be off the dole again by the autumn. I'm hopeful anyway.
STRIKE !!!

mogzilla

just had a trip to the library and besides the vc and flesh trades, reading the exterminators ,deathblow and grifter.

and my sky magazine

Darren Stephens

Just picked up Hellboy, books 7 and 8 at the British heart foundation shop, 4 pound each...recently finished reading book 9, so I'm going back in time to read these!  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Keef Monkey

Have just finished Arrowhead by Paul Kane (didn't really get into it to be honest, enjoyed the other Afterblights more) and have finally started The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko. A big man of the two movies and have always meant to read the books as I've heard they're a rollicking read.

HOO-HAA

Finished Dog Blood by David Moody: an uncompromising take on the apocalyse.

Started reading Tim Lebbon's The Thief of Broken Toys - a character-rich slice of bizarro that reminds me a lot of Asian cinema.

Also reading the wonderful Rupert Thomson's This Party's got to stop. 

Roger Godpleton

Finished the last Scott Pilgrim volume and thought it was all right. Spent way too much time on the last battle, which somewhat jars with what I suspect may be my own, misled interpretation of the book.

Just got the new Daniel Clowes and the remainder of Walt & Skeezix vol 1 left in the unknown pleasure dome. :|
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Withnail's liver

Currently reading "Feed" by Mira Grant.  Set in the near future in a world that has survived the zombie apocalypse and has learnt to cope with the massive changes to society that this has entailed.

The story focuses on a group of bloggers who are following the next bright star in the Presidential campaign.  It reads quite easily, with good detail on how things have changed, but I get the feeling that if I knew more about American politics I'd probably get more out of it...

Graphic novel-wise I've just finished volume 2 of "Chew" (Written by John Layman, Art by Rob Guillory published by Image comics)  A great comic that if you're looking for something different certainly fits the bill (book itself was great and continues from the first volume very well).
I have a heart condition.  If you hit me it's murder!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: House of Usher on 26 July, 2010, 10:38:29 AM
reading Gavin Baddely's Goth Chic again.

I've never actually laid eyes on a copy of that, but I believe that at least some of the photos in there are taken from the Nightbreed "Carnival of Souls" event... unless I was asked to supply them so that Gavin could have a good old wank.

It's not much of a claim to fame, but it's the best I've got.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Carroll

Finally finished Irvine Welsh's Filth a few days ago. It's a great book, but very intense and really, really hard to read: I've read six other books since I started it and a whole pile of GNs.

Next up on the "proper book" list is Joseph Conrad's Nostromo, which I've been putting off for years...

Radbacker

I've got Planetary V4 coming finally and All Star Superman GN coming.  Also decided to give Saga of the swamp yThing a go as its some Moore I haven't read.

CU Radbacker

amberkraken

Just picked up the complete Calvin and Hobbes!
I love that strip of the little boy with an overactive imagination!

Colin YNWA

For the last however many months the various Calvin and Hobbes books have been my bathroom reading. I'm half way through 'It's a Magical World' and I don't think sitting on the loo will be quite the same again when I've finished.

Albion

Just got Marshall Law: Fear & Loathing from Ebay. I've never read any Marshall Law before so looking forward to reading it later.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

SmallBlueThing

Marshal Law is just sheer bloody brilliance throughout. I have various trades, but nowhere near the complete set. Mr Mills is hopeful of a collected edition soon, he says on facebook, and i for one cannot wait! Enjoy!
However, i now have in my clammy grasp Walking Dead volume twelve, so if anyone wants me i'll be living through the zombie apocalypse. Bring sharpened shovels.
SBT

HOO-HAA

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 02 August, 2010, 06:54:38 PM
Started reading Tim Lebbon's The Thief of Broken Toys - a character-rich slice of bizarro that reminds me a lot of Asian cinema. 

... Aannnd finished it. An excellent read - character-rich and heart-breakingly accessible. I've actually just ordered Tim's zombie-esque novel, Beserk.