Main Menu

Recent posts

General / Re: Mega City Book Club - a ne...
Last post by JayzusB.Christ - 21 April, 2024, 01:42:49 PM
Great stuff - looking forward to this.  I didn't read much Warlord but I had an annual, and the dialogue keeps me and my brother amused to this day.

Random thought bubble: 'Good job I've hidden this knife up my jolly old sleeve.'

There was also a page of facts about WW2, one of which involved a Britsh Tommy asking an Australian soldier what he was soaking his boots in. 'Urine, mate!', was the alleged reply, as if that's what an Ozzie soldier would call it.
General / Re: Mega City Book Club - a ne...
Last post by Eamonn Clarke - 21 April, 2024, 01:02:44 PM
and goggle podcasts link
https://bit.ly/3QbpXg7
Events / Re: Lawless 2024
Last post by Steve Green - 21 April, 2024, 01:01:43 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 April, 2024, 07:54:44 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 20 April, 2024, 05:26:46 PMTB is OK, but I preferred the Royal Armouries

Honestly, I don't — I always felt like something was going on elsewhere that I was missing when TB was in Leeds. Harrogate is engagingly compact... everytime someone messaged me to say they're in 'X' pub/bar/restaurant/hotel I'd Google-Map it and it'd be a five minute walk. The convention itself is well-organised and uses the layout effectively.

TL;DR — I much prefer the Harrogate incarnation. Hopefully, I'll see some of you there this year!

Fair enough - Harrogate is more central, but that extra distance from SW London + not having the central area to escape to swung it for me
Off Topic / Re: Threadjacking!
Last post by The Legendary Shark - 21 April, 2024, 12:22:39 PM

I've just finished watching I, Claudius again (the perfect compliment to Rome) and it's left me with the same fundamental question it leaves me with every time I watch it...

...was Slaine inspired by Peter Bowles?
Books & Comics / Re: Skybound to reprint 80s Ma...
Last post by moogie101 - 21 April, 2024, 12:00:45 PM
Cheers, just preordered the first GI Joe book
Megazine / Re: Meg 467: Brit for Duty?
Last post by IndigoPrime - 21 April, 2024, 11:47:01 AM
Lovely McCrea cover at every size and in print. Dredd was fun, although you half imagine he'll be arresting the manufacturer of that droid shortly. As for Dredd taking that much lip, maybe. But it does also feel like he kind of fucked up in the first place with his heavy-handed tactics.

Nice to read about Time Breakers, but frustrating timing, given that the crowdfunder is over and there's no obvious way to buy now. Hrmm. Nessie/Where are they now/iGor Goldkind were all solid reads for me.

DeMarco continues to be... fine? It looks great. DeMarco seems a bit behind the reader, given that she's a PI. I imagine the pace is such this will read better collected. Armitage, though, starts really well: nice to see his ongoing relationship with his ex-partner, and bits of continuity being threaded through the tale. The set-up is silly and intriguing in equal measure.

Two more text pieces – Steve Kyle (which seemed quite sad) and Ian Rimmer/Scream, before some Scream reprint. Which was a lot more fun than Hook Jaw, which for me remains the comics equivalent of a long, drawn-out sigh. Sorry to the fans. Under Seige was all right, though, despite again being weird as soon as Dredd opened his mouth. (Also, that last page seemed weirdly conciliatory for the Judges of any era. Since when do they give a crap about regaining people's trust? Anyway, not bad, especially for IDW.)

Devlin warrants a re-read, I think. Great art. I hope PJ gets a longer crack at this character. But I kind of feel like I missed something with the story as a whole. No such issues with Harrower Squad, which rattles on with its action movie stylings.

In all, there's a lot to like here, and so I'm not sure why this issue didn't quite click with me, nor why it took a long time to get round to reading it. Dreadnoughts next month replacing Devlin is a good like-for-like quality swap. Does anyone know what we're getting instead of Under Siege? Or how many more months Hook Jaw has to run?
Suggestions / Re: Judge Dredd TV series
Last post by judgeurko - 21 April, 2024, 10:48:50 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 April, 2024, 07:57:31 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 20 April, 2024, 05:12:47 PMIf there's any concrete info, they'd certainly be talking about it.

Basically, this. Jesus, Urko, how many times does someone need to tell you: "When there's something to say, you'll hear about it"...?
thanks
Help! / Re: Rebellion and Rights to Ea...
Last post by Jim_Campbell - 21 April, 2024, 10:47:45 AM
Quote from: Richard on 21 April, 2024, 10:31:58 AM"the company has net assets of £334.6 thousand"

Yes, but a quick scan of previous accounts shows that this is basically the "Fixed Assets" column which has ~£300K sitting in it every year, and very little actual activity in the rest of the accounts from year to year. Although the fixed assets aren't detailed, that has the definite whiff of a property about it.
Help! / Re: Rebellion and Rights to Ea...
Last post by Richard - 21 April, 2024, 10:31:58 AM
"the company has net assets of £334.6 thousand"

Books & Comics / Re: SPACEWARP - New Venture fr...
Last post by IndigoPrime - 21 April, 2024, 09:53:21 AM
I should also note that it's not the medium that's in danger of extinction – it's the delivery method. One line, I quite often see old farts moaning about how kids don't read these days. I can only go by mine and her friends, but they read loads. However, almost none of them read comics. And very, very few have a regular order for one of the few newsstand publications remaining for children (be they comics or magazines).

The habits are what's shifted. A generation of parents never themselves had the comics habit and so have not passed it on. Many who pick it up again (most notably through The Phoenix's six for a quid offer) still find it effective with a certain cohort (roughly, 6–10). But mostly, kids are reading collected editions.

The sad thing there is this erodes that very British notion of the comics anthology. So Dog Man is huge. Some Marvel books do well. Manga clicks with teens. And it was wonderful to hear Jamie Smart has now sold more than a MILLION books at his current publisher. What's in danger of winking out of existence is the comic with a whole bunch of different things to discover. But then that's the case in media more widely. People these days head immediately to what they think they want or need. There's little time (bar, perhaps in music streaming) for a mix of things they might discover, based on broader interest.

In other words, it's not just newsstand comics that are heading to oblivion, but also things like newsstand magazines and linear broadcast television. Comics seem to slot into that change as much as anything. (And to wrench that back to the subject, that makes Spacewarp an even tougher sell outside of the nostalgia market.)