Main Menu

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Started by Goaty, 10 April, 2017, 02:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: Goaty on 23 July, 2017, 09:59:04 PM
He will be voiced by Clancy Brown.

"I have something to say: it's better to burn out than to fade away!" Very appropriate.

Frank

The eighties vibe of the score and typography is augmented by casting Cate Blanchett as Hexadecimal from Re:boot. That's another fiver Hollywood owes Brendan McCarthy.

Goaty

Bit of gamble... but can't wait to see it!

"Thor: Ragnarok" director Taika Waititi has surprisingly revealed that a whole bunch of his upcoming venture into the Marvel Cinematic Universe was made up as they went.

The New Zealand filmmakers sensibilities can be seen all over the two trailers released so far for "Thor: Ragnarok," and that free-flowing mood has led to plenty of praise already about how this looks like it could be not just the best of the "Thor" films to date but one of the best MCU titles.

Over the weekend, Waititi spoke with MTV and was asked how much of the film was improvised and filmed in a way that resembled his earlier indie New Zealand films. He says:

"I would say we improvised 80% of the film, or ad-libbed or threw in... My style of working is I'll often be behind the camera, or right next to the camera yelling words at people, like, 'Say this, say this! Say it like this, Say it this way!'. I'll straight-up give Anthony Hopkins a line reading. I don't care.

In a film like this, you want it to be fun. I'm trying to bring my tone and sensibility from my other films. I'm trying to foster a familial, very loose and collaborative mood on set."

As a result, some of the actors took a little while to get into the groove of his filmmaking style including Hulk actor Mark Ruffalo. Waititi shared a brief story about that:

"Mark Ruffalo would be finished shooting for the day, and he'd come up to me and he'd be like, 'Why have we not been fired yet? We are doing the most insane stuff in this film, so where's the phone call?"

Others it was easier, such as Chris Hemsworth with Waititi saying this take on Thor is closer to Hemsworth's real life personality. In related news, Karl Urban spoke to IGN and explained how his character Skurge becomes caught up on the story:

"When we find Skurge, he's operating the Bifrost because Heimdall is missing in action, and then pretty soon after that Hela shows up. Skurge sees the writing on the wall and has to make a decision whether to die or join her, so his instincts of self-preservation take over."

radiator

Nice to hear a Magic Sword track in the new trailer - you may recognise it from the Hotline Miami 2 soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02wKufX3nw

TordelBack

Seeing as Taika Waititi has never made anything that I didn't absolutely adore, I have ridiculous expectations of this, ad-libbing included. Hold your Infinity Wars and Justice Leagues, this is the big one.

TordelBack

It's just occured to me that Cate as Hela is channelling Maureen Lipman.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rara Avis

I'm just seeing these now for the first time. Holy moly but this looks good but once again I'm concerned that all the best bits are in the trailers.

However am loving the Hulk and that old skool style Thor helmet .. very cool.

Cate B looks amazing and 2000AD fan favourite Karl Urban looks like he's really bulked him for this.

Steve Green

Goaty

Haha! This is brilliant, someone did fan trailer of the trailer in 1987 style!

https://youtu.be/qqNn14l7hhA

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just back from seeing this. It was a great romp. More than that, it was like a comic from my (our) era. It reeked of Kirby and the 70s/ early 80s, when comics were allowed to be about heroes and didn't need depth or subtext. As such, this is a near perfect kids movie - and as good as you will get in this day and age.

Context: My 8 year old laughed hard at the "[spoiler]anus[/spoiler]" joke, and I laughed with him.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

I ENJOYED THAT A LOT.

That is all.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rara Avis

The best of the lot. that was very camp, very funny and holy shit Hulk is looking fine .. I feel weird now ..

Radbacker

And a fun time was had by all, this was great, cinema erupted in laughter at the right moments probably funnier that Guardians of the Galaxy.  Absolute blast, Blanchet having fun chewing scnery as the bad guy, Hulk making friends, Loki getting a good arc, Valkarie was a bad arse and Thor being a riot.
Not to mention Rock monster man nearly stealing the show, knowing a couple of Kiwi's i swear I've met him before  :lol:
Will watch again when comes out for home butat the moment probably my favorite Marvel jam yet.

CU Radbacker

Goaty

Quote from: Radbacker on 29 October, 2017, 12:58:26 PM
Not to mention Rock monster man nearly stealing the show, knowing a couple of Kiwi's i swear I've met him before  :lol:

That was Taika Waititi, director of this film