Main Menu

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Spoilers)

Started by Taryn Tailz, 16 April, 2017, 01:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JamesC on 26 June, 2017, 11:50:01 AM
Really enjoyable episode but the [spoiler]rubbish modern cybermen[/spoiler] in the trailer for next week don't bode too well.
Although I had no idea about that, having not watched the trailer. Hrng.

JamesC

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 June, 2017, 02:09:53 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 26 June, 2017, 11:50:01 AM
Really enjoyable episode but the [spoiler]rubbish modern cybermen[/spoiler] in the trailer for next week don't bode too well.
Although I had no idea about that, having not watched the trailer. Hrng.

Oh shit - sorry!

Apologies to anyone I spoiled it for.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 25 June, 2017, 06:31:09 PM
In my view, the only other genuinely superb Capaldi episode has been Heaven Sent

Still my favorite Capaldi episode, but this week's was a delight.

I copped it was John Simm immediately (because: duh), but probably would have been pleasantly surprised without the pre-spoiler that he was returning.

Geared up for the finale, which must include;
- The actual regeneration (not a cliffhanger til Christmas).
- Missy breaking good.
- The titanium cojones to not hit the reset button for Bill.

Richard

QuoteAlthough I had no idea about that, having not watched the trailer.

It's in a spoiler tag.

JamesC

I assume IP added that afterwards to save others from the spoiler. It didn't occur to me to add them.

IndigoPrime

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 25 June, 2017, 06:31:09 PM
In my view, the only other genuinely superb Capaldi episode has been Heaven Sent

I don't think I was the only one to note that 'Heaven Sent' seemed to owe a fairly heavy debt to Iain (non-M*) Banks' superb 'Walking On Glass', though...

*Although, TBH, it was comfortably halfway to being an 'M' novel.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

Sorry Indigo, I didn't know you could do that.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richard on 26 June, 2017, 11:23:58 PM
Sorry Indigo, I didn't know you could do that.

I have [spoiler]the power[/spoiler]!

Huey2

" The titanium cojones to not hit the reset button for Bill."

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd like Bill to be okay.
I remember at the end of Moffatt's first year, how refreshing it was to have a finale that wasn't aiming for a tear jerker but instead gave a proper feel-good triumphant ending. We've been back with the emo endings for a while.

Also, I quite like the Doctor to have improved people's lives instead of ruined them. He's pretty much messed up every companion over the last 7 years.
Amy and Rory - exiled to the past away from any friends or family.
Danny Pink - Dead. Psychologically tortured in a virtual afterlife. Revived as a Cyberman. Dead again.
Clara - Died in agony. Sure, the Doctor extended her life just before she dies. However, she still has to go back to the raven to be killed off and has to choose when she's going to do this - effectively commiting suicide.
River - dead. A copy of her exists but it's trapped in a library.

IndigoPrime

When I saw the trailers, I couldn't stand Bill, but she really works in the actual show. I think it'd be great to see her as a bridge between series, but it's hard to see how they could reset her character now she's been converted (unless said conversion is less extreme than it later is for Cybermen).

Dandontdare

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 June, 2017, 09:27:49 PM
it's hard to see how they could reset her character now she's been converted (unless said conversion is less extreme than it later is for Cybermen).

Well James Corden got better simply by thinking fluffy thoughts, but that was a horrible cop-out. I agree this would've been a better episode if I hadn't been trying to anticipate [spoiler]John Simm/the cybermen[/spoiler] all the way through, and - ( is it a spoiler to be dispapointed in advance?) [spoiler]the modern cybermen[/spoiler]

Overall though, it's lookng like a good conclusion to the best series so far - I'll miss Capaldi

Andy Lambert

I'm guessing the inclusion of the modern Cybermen is down to time passing more quickly in the lower part of the spaceship, so we're seeing the Cybermen develop and evolve more quickly into their current counterparts.

sheridan

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 29 June, 2017, 02:50:45 PM
I'm guessing the inclusion of the modern Cybermen is down to time passing more quickly in the lower part of the spaceship, so we're seeing the Cybermen develop and evolve more quickly into their current counterparts.

I wouldn't have thought so (haven't watched the trailer, but I assume we're talking about the Trigger Cybermen?) - the old type has an alien origin while the new type has a terrestrial contemporary albeit alternate reality origin.

Hawkmumbler

Dont try to navigate the timeline of the Cybermen into a coherent whole, they countradict themselves at every turn.