Meg 384 - Psi-Surf

Started by Timothy, 17 May, 2017, 02:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Its all gone quiet in here,
All gone quiet in here
All gone quiet, all gone quiet
All gone quiet in here.

My excuse is I'm getting increasingly rubbish of reading things as they come to my mites, it took me 5 days to read the Meg, a day to read the Prog... I will get better as the Meg and Prog deserve better, they are so good (and still have a pile other stuff I bought in the week to work through.)

Anyway to the actual comic - T.C. Eglington has a finish on Dredd in both this and the Prog and one works better than the other. Here I found the ending as a little one note. I enjoyed the opener but the ending just felt a bit pedestridian and ordinary. I liked the set up desperate plight of the characters and that played out... just not entirely satisfactorily alas. I shoukld say its not bad at all, just not great on any level.

Havn gets the treat of Henry Flint on art, I was enjoying the art but you know however good its been Henry Flint will raise it a notch. The story remains intriguing if its not quite gelled yet.

Anderson has a very good episode, which feels like an ending but isn't, The chase is on.

Lawless not much to add to my delight at this series. It has another near perfect episode. Wonderful.

The text articles are a little flat but nothing bad at all.

Good Meg.

Richard

Luke Kirby isn't too violent or unpleasant for an 8 year old, but it was written for an older audience and so might be hard to follow. But get it for yourself, because it's great.

AlexF

I raced through this Meg in record times, articles and all! Still on a high for me.
Havn has lots of good in it but feels as if it's moving a bit too fast into the 'immigrants out' plot, with very obvious villains. We'll see!

Necrophim was received well enough to get three series; certainly I think it's Tony Lee's best work for Tharg. I absoultey adore Lee Carter's art on it, he's a great choice to depict Hell although it's a shame quite so much of the story is about chracters standing in rooms talking.

The overall plot is insanely complicated, with characters double-crossing each other at every turn, sometimes because they're thinking three steps ahead, but often because they're all demons and it's in their nature to betray each other. I like this second idea; the first idea is fun for a while but gets a little tedious by series three. Personally I'm a fan of religious-ringed SF, especially stuff set in Heaven/Hell, so I welcome necrophim and would love to see more writers/artists tackle this milieu. Of course, the bar has been set VERY high with Ichabod Azrael...

Proudhuff

Great magazine, but where's the letters page?  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

It might just be me but I found the switch to Henry Flint on Havn completely jarring. I think Jake Lynch had it nailed, now it looks like a completely different strip.

I know, I know....never thought I would complain about having Henry Flint on art duties on anything.

Lawless just goes from strength to strength.

Dredd and Anderson were, for me, a bit disappointing compared to last month (but that is probably because last month's episode were so good and these are merely ok).

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 24 May, 2017, 12:35:55 PMIt might just be me but I found the switch to Henry Flint on Havn completely jarring. I think Jake Lynch had it nailed, now it looks like a completely different strip.

I know, I know....never thought I would complain about having Henry Flint on art duties on anything.

It has been said that if art duties change unexpectedly (last episode of a multi-parter, etc) it's usually due to circumstances out of the artist's / editor's control...

QuoteDredd and Anderson were, for me, a bit disappointing compared to last month (but that is probably because last month's episode were so good and these are merely ok).

You know we're having a good run when merely ok is the worst you can say about an episode :)

A.Cow

Quote from: Magnetica on 24 May, 2017, 12:35:55 PM
It might just be me but I found the switch to Henry Flint on Havn completely jarring. I think Jake Lynch had it nailed, now it looks like a completely different strip.

It say a lot about how disengaging Havn is -- I hadn't even noticed that the artist had changed!

CalHab

Maybe it's the monthly schedule, but I'm having real trouble recognising characters in Havn and following the storyline.

Link Prime

Quote from: CalHab on 25 May, 2017, 01:30:22 PM
Maybe it's the monthly schedule, but I'm having real trouble recognising characters in Havn and following the storyline.

I feel the same.
Decent creators involved, so will give it a re-read once its finished.

Really like that new upstart punk H. Flint they got to fill in on this months episode.

Link Prime

Quote from: sheridan on 19 May, 2017, 10:03:12 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 18 May, 2017, 01:09:34 PM
McConville and Ezquerra, I think.

Rory McConville and Carlos Ezquerra - Cursed Earth Koburn: The Law of the Cursed Earth.

Good luck to the newly constructed McConville Droid on this.
No pressure.