Main Menu

WH40K

Started by Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK, 15 May, 2017, 11:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Well a new version of 40k is coming out...not a revised edition but an all new edition. Meaning that all my codex's will now be obsolete. Thanks games workshop.

At least my current models will still be usable (!)

Link to the GW FAQ for anyone who wants to read it

https://warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf

NapalmKev

I was intrigued by the announcement of New Space Marines (Primaris?) but they look almost the same as the old Space Marine models* - seems like either a massive missed opportunity or a lazy cash-in selling old as new!

Cheers

*I've got a few different sets (Ultramarine's/Chaos Marines/etc) but only for the painting and modelling - I can't stand the Tabletop game, I find it boring, and much prefer the boardgames from the past - Heroquest/Space Hulk/ Crusade.
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

SIP

Quote from: NapalmKev on 16 May, 2017, 02:14:13 PM
I was intrigued by the announcement of New Space Marines (Primaris?) but they look almost the same as the old Space Marine models* - seems like either a massive missed opportunity or a lazy cash-in selling old as new!

Cheers

*I've got a few different sets (Ultramarine's/Chaos Marines/etc) but only for the painting and modelling - I can't stand the Tabletop game, I find it boring, and much prefer the boardgames from the past - Heroquest/Space Hulk/ Crusade.

Heroquest is just the best board game EVER. I'm desperate to find something similarly satisfying and simple for me and the kids to play as we've done heroquest to death. Enjoyed space crusade but it lacks the adventuring aspect and is more a combat game.

Pyroxian

Quote from: SIP on 16 May, 2017, 04:06:34 PM
Heroquest is just the best board game EVER. I'm desperate to find something similarly satisfying and simple for me and the kids to play as we've done heroquest to death. Enjoyed space crusade but it lacks the adventuring aspect and is more a combat game.

Descent? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent:_Journeys_in_the_Dark

OR just start them with D&D...

JamesC

Descent is fantastic and is the most Hero-Questy game I've played.

von Boom

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 15 May, 2017, 11:15:36 PM
Well a new version of 40k is coming out...not a revised edition but an all new edition. Meaning that all my codex's will now be obsolete. Thanks games workshop.

At least my current models will still be usable (!)

Link to the GW FAQ for anyone who wants to read it

https://warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf

This is why I got out of W40K. New editions/versions breaking my armies. That and the rising cost of plastic and paint. In the end I didn't even get to play that much.

Quote from: von Boom on 16 May, 2017, 04:48:00 PM
This is why I got out of W40K. New editions/versions breaking my armies. That and the rising cost of plastic and paint. In the end I didn't even get to play that much.

At this point I think I'm in it for the social aspect more than anything else. But I don't think there is an alternative activity that could fill that gap if I quit the hobby. Plus painting models is very rewarding to me still.

Zarjazzer

"Thinking about heresy? Don't forget to call us."

Yours oppressively,
Imperial Inquisition. Ordo Hereticus. Helican sub sector.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

After spending the day listening to Warhammer podcasts, I think it's safe to say the new edition is as good as mine... I suppose it's a good time to start a new army. Goodbye money, it was nice knowing ya.

Theblazeuk

I guess you can always just play... by your own rules   ;)  See http://hipsterhammer.tumblr.com/ for ideas of that nature with Warhammer Fantasy models - basically you could play with coloured paper with names scrawled on it if you wanted to, it's all abstract representation, so don't get hung up on the miniatures or the editions-as-written.. get the best of both worlds and save some money at the same time.

Painting is the best part for me. Playing is fun too, but finishing a well painted miniature is more satisfying that any victory on the battlefield. 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 30 May, 2017, 02:45:09 PM
basically you could play with coloured paper with names scrawled on it if you wanted to, it's all abstract representation, so don't get hung up on the miniatures or the editions-as-written.. get the best of both worlds and save some money at the same time.

This is why GW moved out of general purpose miniature making and into modelling for their own house rules. Most games of D&D/Runequest/WFRP/CoC I played in my misspent youth tended to involve having the players having their own miniatures for their PCs, and there just being a big box of miscellaneous miniatures for everything else:

"So there are three trolls. This ogre is really a troll — I've only got two trolls. They crash into the tavern taking everyone by surprise. These empty fag packets are the tables..."

There's a hell of a lot more money in strictly controlling what miniatures people can or can't use and tying them to the rules...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 30 May, 2017, 02:45:09 PM
I guess you can always just play... by your own rules   ;)  See http://hipsterhammer.tumblr.com/ for ideas of that nature with Warhammer Fantasy models - basically you could play with coloured paper with names scrawled on it if you wanted to, it's all abstract representation,

But then you get into the whole issue of whether to clip the corners or not. That leads into a holy war all by itself.

Can I get a court order barring myself from entering Games Workshop? Because all these YouTube videos showing off the new 8th edition are pretty much brainwashing me into spending all my money this weekend.

Damn crappy brain. Be stronger.

sheridan

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 01 June, 2017, 12:18:59 PM
Can I get a court order barring myself from entering Games Workshop? Because all these YouTube videos showing off the new 8th edition are pretty much brainwashing me into spending all my money this weekend.

Damn crappy brain. Be stronger.

Dig out all your old stuff instead (presuming you have old stuff).