Main Menu

2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JamesC on 08 November, 2013, 01:04:28 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 November, 2013, 12:59:45 PM
So has 2000AD ever been pulled up on this kind of stuff then?  Legally or otherwise?

I remember my indignance about the whole SOK!/Hardware thing, but now it seems the shoe is somewhat on the other foot, and may have been for quite some time!  :o ;)

I guess those Cursed Earth episodes count don't they?

Well, yes, but what I'm wondering is if 2000AD got into trouble about the similarities, in much the same way the makers of Hardware did...? 

Steve Green

Not about Damnation Alley, AFAIK.

Fleetway had a history of being inspired by pop culture.

Spinball/Death Game = Rollerball, Hookjaw = Jaws, MACH 1 = Six Million Dollar Man,  Flesh = Valley of Gwangi.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Steve Green on 08 November, 2013, 03:12:45 PM
Not about Damnation Alley, AFAIK.

Fleetway had a history of being inspired by pop culture.

Spinball/Death Game = Rollerball, Hookjaw = Jaws, MACH 1 = Six Million Dollar Man,  Flesh = Valley of Gwangi.

And, of course, back then it was fine. Companies weren't so litigious- which is possibly why everyone was so surprised when McShitburgers got their foul-tasting fastfood knickers in a tizzy over Burger Wars and the Green Giant people weren't "Ho HO HOing" either.

I wonder if you could get away with that level of rip-off er, parody, now under the laws concerning satire and fair usage? Could 2000AD run a "Cross Raptors" strip, for instance, that was blatantly based on Angry Birds? Or a "Pack 'em in" monster-collecting story with a little yellow shit called "Chickapoo"? Not as a one-off, or a satirical bad guy in Dredd, but as a whole new series, a la Hook Jaw. Hmm. Famously Lucasfilm told Tharg to cease and desist when he ran with the strapline "Star Wars" on a Rogue Trooper-themed cover a decade or so ago.

SBT

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 08 November, 2013, 04:05:10 PMCompanies weren't so litigious- which is possibly why everyone was so surprised when McShitburgers got their foul-tasting fastfood knickers in a tizzy over Burger Wars and the Green Giant people weren't "Ho HO HOing" either.

I believe McDonalds were never involved or raised too much of an eyebrow; it was the owners of Jolly Green Giant - General Mills - that made all the threats and demanded a retraction. The Burger Wars episodes were withdrawn from future publication just in case.

QuoteI wonder if you could get away with that level of rip-off er, parody, now under the laws concerning satire and fair usage?

Only applies in the US where the laws are different, apparently, but the banned strips still can never be republished because under agreement Fleetway/IPC made a promise never to reprint them so they can't break it.

GordonR

Quotebut the banned strips can never be republished because under agreement Fleetway/IPC made a promise never to reprint them

AHH, that was decades and several publishing owners ago. Can't Rebellion claim such an agreement was never actually signed and dare the other party to produce the actual paperwork to prove otherwise? (Or "try a Morrison", as I believe this is called in legal terms.)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: GordonR on 08 November, 2013, 04:36:56 PM
AHH, that was decades and several publishing owners ago. Can't Rebellion claim such an agreement was never actually signed and dare the other party to produce the actual paperwork to prove otherwise? (Or "try a Morrison", as I believe this is called in legal terms.)

The Jolly Green Giant never forgets and never forgives.

Steve Green

There are changes to parody laws in the UK being talked about.

http://www.worldipreview.com/article/uk-copyright-law-a-change-for-the-better

It would be great to see an Uncut Cursed Earth, but if it's not been reprinted in the states I'm not sure what difference the new guidelines would make over here.

Dash Decent

The Arnold Shwarzenegger film "The Sixth Day" was on TV last night.  I hadn't seen it before.

The story includes "RePets", a service offering clones of deceased pets.  It reminded me of the pet resurrection service run by Dr. Icarus in the "Dredd vs Death" game.  In both cases the treatments used on pets foreshadow something similar happening with people.

I think the movie came first but perhaps pet cloning/resurrection is a more common SF idea than I'm aware of.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

pert

Does anyone think The Rock Drill by Jacob Epstein looks like Nemesis?

I, Cosh

In a similar vein to the Cursed Earth/Damnation Alley thing, I've mentioned on here the... debt that Meltdown Man owes to Cordwainer Smith's The Underpeople. It was nice to see Tom Tully acknowledge it in his introduction to the GN.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: pert on 23 November, 2013, 07:17:28 PM
Does anyone think The Rock Drill by Jacob Epstein looks like Nemesis?

Nahhh. It's Mad Ronn, innit?

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

maryanddavid

QuoteCan't Rebellion claim such an agreement was never actually signed and dare the other party to produce the actual paperwork to prove otherwise?

Probably not really worth the hassle, would the few extra episodes shift that many more GN's of a 'really complete' Curded Earth?

QuoteTom Tully acknowledge it in his introduction to the GN.

Alan Hebden's introduction, not nitpicking, but more that this caught my eye, as a 'was Tully finally tracked down' moment

Spikes

Quote from: maryanddavid on 24 November, 2013, 01:07:38 AM
QuoteCan't Rebellion claim such an agreement was never actually signed and dare the other party to produce the actual paperwork to prove otherwise?

Probably not really worth the hassle, would the few extra episodes shift that many more GN's of a 'really complete' Curded Earth?

I'd dearly love to see a complete Cursed Earth reprinted. Whether it would be worth the potential hassle, as youve said, is another matter.
I wonder if Rebellion have given this matter any thought?

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 November, 2013, 04:18:41 PM
I believe McDonalds were never involved or raised too much of an eyebrow

I wonder if that would remain true if those episodes were reprinted now?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Jack on 24 November, 2013, 01:31:48 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 November, 2013, 04:18:41 PM
I believe McDonalds were never involved or raised too much of an eyebrow

I wonder if that would remain true if those episodes were reprinted now?

I doubt McDonald's would be bothered.

malkymac

Quote from: smiffy on 30 October, 2013, 06:52:20 PM
Mr Austin and a photo of Ms Shilleto, maybe?

Any idea who she is?