Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Bolt-01

ming

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 10 February, 2015, 11:35:30 AM
Is that a Simon Jacobs cover?

Alan Burrows, apparently.

http://www.comicvine.com/eagle-471/4000-315081/

And just for anyone not sure what this is swiped from...

JayzusB.Christ

Were they bring published by the same company at the time, though?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ming

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 February, 2015, 01:03:20 PM

Nope.  In March 1991, 2000AD was being published by Rebellion while IPC was responsible for the Eagle.  At least according to Comic Vine.

http://www.comicvine.com/2000-ad-722-prog-722/4000-127762/

IronGraham

Quote from: ming on 10 February, 2015, 01:11:38 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 February, 2015, 01:03:20 PM

Nope.  In March 1991, 2000AD was being published by Rebellion while IPC was responsible for the Eagle.  At least according to Comic Vine.

http://www.comicvine.com/2000-ad-722-prog-722/4000-127762/

Hmm me thinks Comics vine might be mistaken
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Skullmo

in 1991 2000ad was not published by Rebellion. It was published by IPC I think. Then it changed to Maxwell group. Then Egmont Fleetway in about 94 then Rebellion in 2000. . . . this is all from half remembered memory and I am probably wrong. But it certainly not Rebellion.
It's a joke. I was joking.

ming

Quote from: Skullmo on 10 February, 2015, 01:24:46 PM
in 1991 2000ad was not published by Rebellion. It was published by IPC I think. Then it changed to Maxwell group. Then Egmont Fleetway in about 94 then Rebellion in 2000. . . . this is all from half remembered memory and I am probably wrong. But it certainly not Rebellion.

I suspected as much but I have no particular grasp on the dates of the changeovers, really.  Anyway, a swipe's a swipe!

:)

EDIT: having just checked, Rebellion took over in 2000, which makes sense...

Skullmo

Quote from: ming on 10 February, 2015, 01:26:27 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 10 February, 2015, 01:24:46 PM

I suspected as much but I have no particular grasp on the dates of the changeovers, really.  Anyway, a swipe's a swipe!

:)

Where is dark Bishop when you need him!
It's a joke. I was joking.

ming

1977      IPC
1987      IPC > Fleetway
1991      Fleetway > Egmont
2000      Egmont > Rebellion

I think.

Staz Johnson

I find this thread fascinating, especially the instances of early 2000AD artists borrowing from those mid-70's sci-fi paperback cover artists. Here's my two penneth on the subject, all observations on Rogue trooper, & the first one is one of those paperback cover artists being an influence.

This was one of Chris Foss' rejected designs for the Leviathan (the spaceship from ALIEN), which he recycled to use for the cover of his own artbook.

Which later shows up in a Mike Dorey drawn Rogue Trooper story...

Now, bit of a long lead up to the next two, so apologies in advance. Back in '82-ish, I managed to blag a meeting with Robin Smith (2000AD's then art editor) at King's Reach Tower. During the meeting he asked me which 2000AD artists I liked, Colin Wilson's name came up & I said I liked the way he drew tech-stuff, how (to my eyes) it was like Chris Foss with all the panel lines etc. Robin rejected that as an influence on Colin but said that he did rip off a "shit-hot war artist called Ian Kennedy". At the time I wasn't familiar with Ian Kennedy's name (though I must have seen his work in the pages of Commando) so I was left wondering exactly what he meant. Recently I got a copy of Bear Alley Books reprint trade of 'Frontline UK', a strip which feature Ian Kennedy's art in Battle. While going through the volume, a couple of panels jumped out as familiar, this panel...

with the addition of a few extra gun barrels etc forms the basis of this image by Colin Wilson, 

and this image of a fuel tanker

becomes this explosive panel by Colin Wilson...

... so maybe Robin Smith did have a point, & it just goes to show that in the hands of a really talented artist who can bring his own spin to the work, swiping isn't such a crime.

While scanning these images, it occurred to me how many figures from Brett Ewins' first Rogue strip were straight swipes for Dave Gibbons & Colin Wilson panels, but since that was probably an editorial recommendation for continuity's sake & because I'm sure everyone on the forums is familiar with them, I didn't think they were worth including.

Spikes

Quote from: Staz Johnson on 15 February, 2015, 01:45:31 PM
While scanning these images, it occurred to me how many figures from Brett Ewins' first Rogue strip were straight swipes for Dave Gibbons & Colin Wilson panels, but since that was probably an editorial recommendation for continuity's sake & because I'm sure everyone on the forums is familiar with them, I didn't think they were worth including.

Now, I love a bit of Brett's work, but it has to be said, he didn't half copy from other's a lot. Rogue, Dredd, various Future Shock's.....

IAMTHESYSTEM

Those trucks and tanks panels are very similar but still both rather amazing to look at IMHO.

There's nothing new in Rock and Roll folks!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

You're the Rogue pro Staz and I defer to your expertise, but from my humble perspective I don't see those images as even vaguely similar - if the 'pose' has been swiped, maybe, but almost every detail is different beyond the basic idea of 'tank' and 'tanker'. Should note that I love both Kennedy and Wilson.

JOE SOAP

There certainly does seem to be singular points that persuasively indicate swipage in those images: the tankers on the trucks have almost identical angle of action, shading and design; the tank-turrets have similar attributes plus some identical details shaded in stark relief, but what stops them dead from being blatant robbery is that Wilson has extrapolated way beyond these points to create his own remarkable panels.